Why do YOU want to be in a relationship?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaguarundi said:
FYI

Egocentrism is characterized by preoccupation with one's own internal world. Egocentrics regard themselves and their own opinions or interests as being the most important or valid. To them, self-relevant information is seen to be more important in shaping one’s judgments than are thoughts about others and other-relevant information.Egocentric people are unable to fully understand or to cope with other people's opinions and the fact that reality can be different from what they are ready to accept.

Nailed that one.

jaguarundi said:
FYI

Egocentrism is characterized by preoccupation with one's own internal world. Egocentrics regard themselves and their own opinions or interests as being the most important or valid. To them, self-relevant information is seen to be more important in shaping one’s judgments than are thoughts about others and other-relevant information.Egocentric people are unable to fully understand or to cope with other people's opinions and the fact that reality can be different from what they are ready to accept.

Nit pick over terms all you want but it sounds like you place your desire to be pedestaled as primary. If everybody had to be each other's firs choice then most relationships wouldn't happen.

ardour said:
jaguarundi said:
FYI

Nit pick over terms all you want but it sounds like you place your desire to be pedestaled as primary.

I don't desire to be primary pedestaled (?).

I felt that as the term egocentric was being used (about another person, I might add) it might be useful to reflect on what egocentric actually means. That's it. That's all.

Well, it would be new to me. Pretty sure I'm asexual so...such a thing could be trickey, heh.

Also because I'm tired of meeting someone I like, only to either get rejected or passed over for someone else, and then having this sad, angry, frustrated, crushed feeling...until I meet someone else I like...AND THE SAME honeysuckle HAPPENS AGAIN. And these guys who beat me to the punch are never hot shots either...in fact they've all been schlubs. I can't begin to describe how tired of that I am. Every time it happens, I'm like *********, really? Again? So tired of it. I must be missing something important because no matter what I just can never seem to seal the deal. I can't get past the initial screening process, because I don't even get a chance to screw up on a date. I swear to whatever higher power is out there, some dirty unshaven bum, missing a few teeth, 40 oz in hand, could get further with someone than I seem to be able to. It's really frustrating.

I enjoy intimacy because it's intimacy with men, women, and others. There are boundaries in friendships that don't exist in relationships.

Companionship...to feel secure knowing that you can depend on someone if required to...to not feel so alone. Having friends is great but there is only so much one can expect from them, but with a partner you're in it together. I think one can benefit more emotionally from a good romantic relationship :)

I recently discovered that I have always been happiest in a relationship. My friends seem to agree. When I'm in a relationship, I can devote my energies toward her happiness and comfort, and in turn (ideally,) I'd receive tenderness and love from her, which winds up making me happy. I don't recall ever being truly depressed while in a relationship, at least when things were going well.

When I'm not in a relationship, I sometime feel like a ship lost at sea. I'm not sure if anyone else can relate to this lost feeling when not in a relationship. It's almost like with a partner, I know how to live. When I'm not with someone, I seem to struggle mightily.

I have always hated it the very few times I have been in a relationship. It always felt too good to be true and I knew they would soon bugger off with somebody else !

Latest posts

Back