Am I overthinking again??

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. No escaping. I was in a different starbucks today. One i went to a few times. And the worker thought I was someone else.
Boy..this is like a curse!!

This is getting pathetic. Really sad.

Which possible truth would help you more? That Starbucks employees in your environment can't be bothered to memorize customers' faces properly or that you have overly generic facial features which make you hard to recognize and remember? I know you mentioned your clothing and hair before, but I think they are actually meaningless for the process.

Rodent said:
Which possible truth would help you more? That Starbucks employees in your environment can't be bothered to memorize customers' faces properly or that you have overly generic facial features which make you hard to recognize and remember? I know you mentioned your clothing and hair before, but I think they are actually meaningless for the process.

Does generic here = equal not unique boring, unattractive?
Than no. That doesn't help. First one I can deal with accepr

Generic isn't always a bad thing, I think Rodent just meant you have features which make you resemble other people, not that you are unattractive or boring. Unique could be a bad thing when talking about facial features, a lot of times people use that to be nice when someone might have a large mole on their face or an oversized nose, ect.

You way overthink things and it seems to be taking a mental toll on you from your posts. You seem to, excuse the expression, beat a dead horse. What I mean by that is you overthink something to the point where it is very unhealthy and useless to keep thinking about it. I used to do this too and still do sometimes, it is very hard to try and train your brain not to, but something I do which may or may not help you too much, everyone is different. I try to repeat over in my heat that I'm overthinking things and need to stop and sometimes and list the exact opposite facts. There are times I have to scream it in my head to drown it all out. It's something I read about before of ways to try to stop overthinking situations or negative thoughts. Its been slowly working at times. You should give it a try.

Xpendable said:
Sci-Fi said:
Xpendable said:
Restless soul said:
Xpendable said:
Change on the inside, then maybe things will change.

Hmmmm? 🤔🤔🤔

Not you.

You were warned once before about this, don't do it again.

Explain for everyone.

I don't need to explain anything, you know what you are doing and you are being told to stop it. Your remarks help nothing and only make our job that much more difficult. End of discussion, my warning is not up for debate.

Better to be considered "forgettable" and fly under the radar than be remembered for being ugly and awkward. Some of us would consider average or 'generic' looking a compliment.

ardour said:
Better to be considered "forgettable" and fly under the radar than be remembered for being ugly and awkward.  Some of us would consider average or 'generic' looking a compliment.

I see ardour. Interesting take. I mean I like to think I am nice looking. And able to be identified for myself. And I put a lot into looks for whatevr reason. And don't we all? Well I take it to extremes for various deep insecurities. So being compared to others is just one layer to that onion of issues

I spoke to my brother about this for one hour. Last night. Said somethings others said here.

I don't know what you're complaining about with this thread. Not looking like Ryan Gosling, standing out enough from the average dude, etc., isn't even a first world problem.

Do you really know this barista anyway? Sounds like someone who engages in polite chat at the cash register. It's part of what they're paid for and they probably do that with hundreds of people so it isn't surprising that they would get names mixed up.

I like to go unnoticed and unremarked upon. I move through life like a vampire cuz people give me the heebie-jeebies.

bleed_the_freak said:
I like to go unnoticed and unremarked upon. I move through life like a vampire cuz people give me the heebie-jeebies.

Yes. Your avatar gives that away 😁😁😁

Sci-Fi said:
Generic isn't always a bad thing, I think Rodent just meant you have features which make you resemble other people, not that you are unattractive or boring.  Unique could be a bad thing when talking about facial features, a lot of times people use that to be nice when someone might have a large mole on their face or an oversized nose, ect.  

You way overthink things and it seems to be taking a mental toll on you from your posts.  You seem to, excuse the expression, beat a dead horse.  What I mean by that is you overthink something to the point where it is very unhealthy and useless to keep thinking about it.  I used to do this too and still do sometimes, it is very hard to try and train your brain not to, but something I do which may or may not help you too much, everyone is different. I try to repeat over in my heat that I'm overthinking things and need to stop and sometimes and list the exact opposite facts.  There are times I have to scream it in my head to drown it all out.  It's something I read about before of ways to try to stop overthinking situations or negative thoughts.  Its been slowly working at times.  You should give it a try.

I agree with the above. I would like to add this: 

Sometimes it takes certain ways of wording to get the point across. If the person explaining gets frustrated then try a different approach, but don't get annoyed. Easier said than done I know! Better to bow out gracefully than to become frustrated yourself. Sometimes it takes a village not one person, but the main objective is to be helpful. 

This entire thread is disappointing, just one of the reasons I shy away from socializing. Play nice peeps, we're all just trying to make it day by day and while someone's problems may seem petty they may be huge to that person. I think it's only decent for others to try and understand. 

Point blank : If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything. ;)

Inmyhead said:
Sometimes it takes certain ways of wording to get the point across. If the person explaining gets frustrated then try a different approach, but don't get annoyed. Easier said than done I know! Better to bow out gracefully than to become frustrated yourself. Sometimes it takes a village not one person, but the main objective is to be helpful. 

This entire thread is disappointing, just one of the reasons I shy away from socializing. Play nice peeps, we're all just trying to make it day by day and while someone's problems may seem petty they may be huge to that person. I think it's only decent for others to try and understand. 

Point blank : If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything. ;)

Playing nice is not the same as caring or helping. It often just means patting someone on the back and agreeing with everything they have to say, in cases like this that approach is useless.

If this was the first time, you’d see a lot of people trying to understand and help (which you can still see). It gets old when you act petty towards people’s advice every time they try helping you just because it doesn’t fit the narrative you’d like to hear.

No, I don’t agree that everyone is required to be compliant with something they find foolish and if you really want people’s opinions on your issues (i.e. post them publicly in a forum) you’ll get judgement, difference of opinions and points of view. The world is not suppose to adapt to everyone that has a problem and it won’t.

My style of advice giving is to state my two cents in a polite, albeit blunt tone; what you get out of me is how I feel, although I do phrase it in a non-confrontational way. If you don't accept my advice, or argue against it, I'm not going to spend a great deal of time debating it with you... my advice is free, so I'm not going to spend time debating it. Doesn't have to devolve into an argument, although I can certainly see how it could be frustrating if somebody continually refuses to accept the answers to their questions.

Sometimes, in order to get the answers one needs, there has to be a diverse set of opinions and suggestions. When you have this, there will be debating because people won't agree with each other, it's human nature. It will happen regardless of where you go or what you say, unless you always give people what they want.

And then other times, you have people who want to be told what they want to hear, so naturally, when they don't hear that, they fight back. There is no magical fix, there is no utopia, therefore, there will be debates and arguments.

Latest posts

Back