are some people too broken to have a significant other?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dissident said:
EveWasFramed said:
...cut your hair...

Other than this, a sensible post. :p

I read recently that he was thinking of cutting his hair. :p That's why I mentioned it.

SomeoneSomewhere said:
Maybe this is what you want Eve. Yes, a lot of girls like being treated special (I've been told) but I don't think a lot of girls would like being smothered like that.

Taking an interest in someone like that isn't smothering them. I didn't suggest that he should plant himself up her ass 24/7. Most of what I suggested is about communicating.

I'm afraid to post a pic, Eve. I've bared my soul here, shared so many private details about my mental illnesses, that I don't want it to be publicly known. I have already shared enough about myself.

Show us another body part then! :p

Oh and:

[video=youtube]

He knows you're broken. He knOwS ur BroKen.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I'm afraid to post a pic, Eve. I've bared my soul here, shared so many private details about my mental illnesses, that I don't want it to be publicly known. I have already shared enough about myself.

Don't be afraid of showing who you are.

And I don't mean just pictures.

I think some people are too broken yes, but then they are better off finding other broken people to be with.

I think that broken is a too marginalizing term.. everyone has some kind of issues and emotions, maybe some are more complicated than others, but certainly not broken, I feel.

Unless you're like Charles Manson I don't think you can be too broken. If people regard you as such they're just haters.

There are so many people in the world that there must be someone for everyone, the question is finding that person. Where are they, how do you meet?

Edward W said:
There are so many people in the world that there must be someone for everyone, the question is finding that person. Where are they, how do you meet?

by luck or chance.

I sometimes think that, my perfect woman could be out there. I may have walked past her, even looked at her but not stopped to talk.

Not sure if it's been said yet, but if someone is still open to wanting to love another person and be in a relationship, then their heart is still alive and they aren't broken. Now, with people who have been hurt, it will take some guidance to help it go along well as well as building trust and keeping good communication. Being open and honest about what bothers/concerns one may have.

perfanoff said:
I think that broken is a too marginalizing term.. everyone has some kind of issues and emotions, maybe some are more complicated than others, but certainly not broken, I feel.

I want to agree with you so much, sadly I can't. I think there are people out there with a whole world of deep seated and near intractable sociological issues that make them currently unwise as a choice for being a sig other. They are also hindered by a reluctance to go and seek the help to fix it AND an unwillingness to do so themselves.

Whilst these are dangerous and often violent people as a rule, they do exist and even if their conditions are temporary, while they exist, they are too much in need of their own healing to be able to commit to any form of relationship

Oh no, I was just talking strictly about the term "broken person". I just don't like this "broken" thing being applied to so many people.

Now if the question is: "are there enough people who would make for lousy partners due to their personality etc" my answer would be "just take a look around".

If _I_ get to choose who has sex with who, that's one thing. For good or worse I don't.

I want to ask Muse to think if he thinks he's more "broken" than a man who rapes and/or imprisons his own daughters, grandchildren, mother, and other random women. And yeah.. he had a partner.. his wife.

What is troubling is the amount of people who are bitter, sexist, racist, and are generally terrible people, and they have no problem getting relationships. It makes me wonder what they have that I don't?

Yeah I know what you mean about not wanting to post your pic on the forum. I'm always afraid someone I know or work with will find that I go here.

How about you PM it to Eve and she can give you specific tips then?

I do not think people are too broken to have significant others. I think some people are too broken to be good significant others.

nerdygirl said:
I do not think people are too broken to have significant others. I think some people are too broken to be good significant others.

I came here to say this.

nerdygirl said:

Yes, this. "Having a significant other" and "being in a healthy relationship" are not remotely the same thing.

I think that some people may have certain issues - whether psychological, addiction, trust issues, abandonment issues etc - which, unresolved, might make it very difficult for them to enter into or maintain a healthy relationship.

mountainvista said:
nerdygirl said:

Yes, this. "Having a significant other" and "being in a healthy relationship" are not remotely the same thing.

I think that some people may have certain issues - whether psychological, addiction, trust issues, abandonment issues etc - which, unresolved, might make it very difficult for them to enter into or maintain a healthy relationship.

I highly doubt I'll ever be able to at this rate, but we'll see :cool:

mintymint said:
mountainvista said:
nerdygirl said:

I highly doubt I'll ever be able to at this rate, but we'll see :cool:

Never say never, Minty!

Latest posts

Back