Cosmetic surgery

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glowgirl

Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to start a discussion on a subject on which everyone seems to have an opinion. Cosmetic surgery, in particular, nose jobs. I've been considering having a nose job to remove a hump on my nose which really is pretty hideous. My problem, apart from finding a good surgeon who won't f*** it up, is that I was bought up to believe that looks don't matter. It's really guilt over spending so much money on something which is basically vanity which has been holding me back from doing this over the last few years. That and the fact that I would have almost no support from my family or friends, at least that is what I think.

So I'm 42 now and I've done the hard yards learning to live with it. Now I've done this much I almost feel like I should see it through. But I really would like not to have to cringe when I see myself side on in a mirror. I also think it could improve my breathing which is constrained by the shape of my nose.

Generally I don't believe that real self confidence comes from the way you look. But what about those of us who really have an outstanding feature that's bad to look at?
Is there a place for cosmetic surgery in fixing genuine ugliness?

PS. I should say that although my nose is really bad from the side it's fine from face on.

If it bothers you and especially if you think it'll help your breathing, I don't see how its a negative thing to have medical assistance to help yourself. Its your money, you may spend it to make yourself feel better, vanity or not!

If you are really unhappy about how your nose looks, then I would go for the surgery. Although you have been brought up to believe that looks don't matter, they do obviously matter to you (and they matter to society as a whole, even though I wish that they didn't.) If you would be happier with a differently shaped nose, then going for surgery might be the right choice for you.

If you really think it would make you feel more confident in your appearance and help your breathing, then go for it. Just do your research, read other people's experiences and find the best doctor you possibly can. I think you will get over the guilt of the cost if you become happier with your appearance - it has clearly bothered you for a very long time.
But you might decide it's not worth it, and that's fine too. Everyone has something they are self conscious about but most people don't think anything of the faults we see in ourselves.

screw guilt.....

If it's something that's gonna make yourself feel better about yourself..then do it.
wheather it's an inside job or an ouside job.

People get dental work done all the time. To correct thier teeth.
Isnt that based on looks too? It's just more acceptiable in society. So people feel less guilty about it.

Women dye thier hair different colures or wear it different style all the time...
It's all based on looks.

People dress different ways...some people dress more conservitive than others.
But it's still the same **** thing. It's all based on apprenence or looks.
The conservative people saying women wearing looser clothing are slut, whores or whatever
are fucken retarded becuase they're still going on looks.

Self esteem is more about being ok with you...you're decisions. What you want to do.
Above the influnces of others, either way...wheather from the left or from the right.
Do what is best for you....Do what works for you.
If getting a nose job ganna work for you...then it's gonna work for you and that's that.

Do you bellieve Ophra feels an ouce of guilt in her vains for being flity fucken rich as she is????

Go for it! You wont feel much worse if it doesn't work out lol. But it will!

If it's not breaking the bank, anything extreme, and will make you feel better.....go for it. No need to feel guilty.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but to Hell with your appearance. Your health is much more important. You can get surgery to make yourself prettier, but all that isn't much good to you if you are in a hospital bed for weeks on end due to health complications. In all fairness, I believe that women tend to care more about their appearance than most men.

EDIT: I just woke up. Forgive my reply. I misunderstood something.

It's your body, it's your life. Do what you feel will make you comfortable with yourself. You've lived with it for this long and still haven't come to be okay with it, so why not go for it?

Weigh the pros and cons, do your research on the procedure and doctor, and if you can afford it, do it. You have no reason at all to feel guilty.

Couldn't agree more with the other posters. Do it only if it makes you feel comfortable and more confident. But please be careful, make sure you do your research and know what are the risks etc. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back