Do You Like The Names You Were Given?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's not that i don't like my name yet i feel like my 1960's mother could have chosen a more colorful name for the times...after all i was born during the summer of love...my name is kimberly...c'mon mama...****...:D

Solivagant said:
ladyforsaken said:
I don't like my given name. It's old school, it is hard to pronounce and difficult to be remembered by some. People always make mistakes. It always surprises me when someone can remember my name or spell it right out of memory. It's impressive.

That's surprising, I think your name is quite easy to remember and spell. I could spell it right now if you asked me. I've never heard it pronounced though, so I don't know whether the accent is on the first or second syllable. Once I heard it though, I wouldn't forget how to say it either.

But I feel your pain. My name is short and you'd think it'd be quite easy to spell, but everyone gets it wrong all the time, even relatives and people who have known me my whole life. I've seen at least 30 incorrect variations, and it's quite irritating. It's not all that uncommon either, so I don't really understand why it's so difficult.

Aside from that though, I love my name. Not a huge fan of my last name though, just because it's rather boring. People spell that wrong too, because there are two commonly used variations of it, and even though mine is the slightly more common one, for some reason everyone assumes it's the other one.

Well yeah, that's the thing. To me it's easy, but surprisingly to a lot of others, it's not lol. As for my last name, I wanna change it. :0

And I love your name too! I think it's pretty.

Yes and No.
But there is probably a reason I haven't seen my name since the birth of Christ on anyone but one dude from back then.
Probably could have gone with my middle name as my first, instead. I'm surprised, actually, that I got one.

Solivagant said:
ladyforsaken said:
I don't like my given name. It's old school, it is hard to pronounce and difficult to be remembered by some. People always make mistakes. It always surprises me when someone can remember my name or spell it right out of memory. It's impressive.

That's surprising, I think your name is quite easy to remember and spell. I could spell it right now if you asked me. I've never heard it pronounced though, so I don't know whether the accent is on the first or second syllable. Once I heard it though, I wouldn't forget how to say it either.

But I feel your pain. My name is short and you'd think it'd be quite easy to spell, but everyone gets it wrong all the time, even relatives and people who have known me my whole life. I've seen at least 30 incorrect variations, and it's quite irritating. It's not all that uncommon either, so I don't really understand why it's so difficult.

Aside from that though, I love my name. Not a huge fan of my last name though, just because it's rather boring. People spell that wrong too, because there are two commonly used variations of it, and even though mine is the slightly more common one, for some reason everyone assumes it's the other one.

I can easily remember both of your names. I don't know what's so hard about it. When you told me your name, Solivagant, was 10 months ago. And even though i talk to you, LF, regularly, i don't think i'd forget your name or the way it's spelled or pronounced.

My own name, hmm, i'm not sure. It's simple, unremarkable. But i guess i can make it leave a mark.

Rosebolt said:
I can easily remember both of your names. I don't know what's so hard about it. When you told me your name, Solivagant, was 10 months ago. And even though i talk to you, LF, regularly, i don't think i'd forget your name or the way it's spelled or pronounced.

My own name, hmm, i'm not sure. It's simple, unremarkable. But i guess i can make it leave a mark.

I see what you did there. :p

My middle given name is Alma, it was originally meant to be my given first name, after my paternal grandmother.

My mother had named my siblings, when she became pregnant with me my dad pointed out that I would be their last child(dad was 53 when I was born, mother was 39-in those days that was considered too old to have kids & the doctors tried to talk my mother into a termination-(if she hadn't been so staunchly catholic I might not be here!) & insisted he name the child after either his mother(Alma) or father(Frederick Joseph).

This was what was agreed.

At the very moment of my birth my mum changed her mind & decided to name me after the bloody nurse that had been with her(they didn't allow the dad in during the birth back then!) holding her hand & looking after her. So Alma became my middle name.

I never felt completely comfortable with my given first name, it really just isn't me at all, at best I'd have to say it's 'ill-fitting' & I was only ever addressed by the shorthanded version of it(except by certain bullheaded teachers who insisted on what was written in front of them & even then I refused to answer to it).
As I've grown I've used Alma as my name more & more, my roller derby name uses it & having played in a number of places in the world & having a vast number of derby friends that know me as nothing other than Alma, I am happy knowing more people know me by what I consider to be my rightfully intended name than anything else.

When I skated for my country in the first ever Roller Derby World Cup I know that using the name my dad wanted me to have would have made him so very proud.

That's me(part of me lol) on the right singing the national anthem at the opening ceremony-one of the proudest moments of my entire life.
ke7q4c7

Um, so yeah, I'm Alma & happy about that lol

Mine is Kathleen, which I like as I was named after my grandmother but I usually introduce myself as Kat because sometimes people mishear me and start calling me Kathy, which I hate! I hate it when people assume I am a Katherine as well.

I also have lost count of the amount of drunk men who have sung 'I'll take you home again, Kathleen' at me. But I don't mind so much, it's kind of funny.

My surname (Barlow) is a surname of a family in a British soap so I get alot of stick for that, which wears thin.

My name is Rachel Kathleen Monteith. I love my name. Mostly my last name. I like its background, and how it sounds. Mon-Teeth.

Also my Father wanted all of are name to begin with " R".
My middle name was going to be my first name.

A lot of people here know my first name and I'm fine with it. No one in the real world calls me it anyway - everyone refers to me as Cavey.

My name Is Ja-Paige Shameca. I love my name because my father named me before he died but no body seems to be able to say or spell my name. People always spell my name with a L for La-Paige and they never capitalize the P in Paige.
Now when I introduce myself i'll just tell them to call me Paige to save the trouble.

Just a couple of years ago I found out I was taught to say my name wrong as well. I always said Juh-Paige BUT it's Jah-Paige and my middle name was suppose to sound like Shuh-meca BUT it's Shah-meca. Crazy but awesomeness. :D ;)

Latest posts

Back