Do you look down at the floor hunched over when you walk?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to walk hunched over; now I stand tall and proud. I try to at least, no matter what. Look people in the eye, shake their hand. Speak boldly and let the world know you're not there to be walked on.

I find it helps at least somewhat.

Brian said:
I used to walk hunched over; now I stand tall and proud. I try to at least, no matter what. Look people in the eye, shake their hand. Speak boldly and let the world know you're not there to be walked on.

I find it helps at least somewhat.

x2 on this comment. Improving your posture and being able to maintain eye contact and being persistent when interacting with people will almost always make you look like a confident and strong minded person.

All I ever used to do was walk with my head down and just feel weird about it. Now I do my best to keep my head up high and maybe smile once in a while since I never used to do that in public as much before. Its working well. Makes me feel good.

I used to, for the longest time, walk with my head pointed groundwards, but nowadays I keep my head up.

I used to wear a black hooded swear, baseball cap and shades.
Totally disconnecting myself from the world.
Plus I saw her beautiful face 24/7s everywhere I went
Covering up my tears. I was in love with a dead woman.

I hold my head up high. That's a consicous decision or military training I had.
For a while I notice I did staired at my shoes..to aviod eye contact or people.
The shades...aviod eye contacts. For a while I didn't care..and that was okay.

So it was just simple reflection of wheather i cared or didn't cared. (I'm just speaking for myself)

The military taught me alot about what it takes to be a man...
It was just a simple matter of me picking up those living tools and applying them in my life again.
Heck they use to make me march and run with my head held up high.
They used to make me stand at full attention for hours with my head held up high.
Then it was a matter of self disciplining myself.

Yes...I carry myself with a chip on my shoulder or prideful attitude.
That how and why some women asked me out.

Lately I've also incorporated an sort of propelling force pushing me forward.
It's gets me into moving forward mind set. Sometimes i have to make to body move
then my mind will follow.
Yeah...like Look !!!!! There's a pyshco ***** over there...go fucken ask her out anywho.:p

When I talk to people. I take off my shades now.
Alot of my friends are in recovery...We like to communicate eye to eye...without our eyes being
blood shot, glossy or dialated..lmao
It has something to do about being honest and real...lol
Hell people can usually tell if there's something going wrong with me just by looking at my face.
When you walk into a recovery room...it's like all of your BS, mask, lies, gets strip away.
You can't bullshit a bullshiter...everyone knows all the fucken lies and manipulations...
So...no piont in pretending..lol It's like you're naked to your soul....The fucken truth.

The songs gose like this....

You can't hide your lying eyes...and your smile..... in disguides.
I thought by now ..you'd relized, there ain't no way to hide your lying eyes. :p

For the majority of my recollectable life I used to habitually stare at the ground immediately in front of me, only occasionally raising my head to navigate around approaching obstacles or cross a road and such like. I would ignore any fellow pedestrians passing me entirely, for fear I would make eye contact with them, or even worse they would speak to me!
I now force myself to stand straight and walk with my head held high, partly for reasons of posture but mostly because I think it is helping with some of my social anxieties. For every person with whom I make eye contact or reciprocate with when offered a greeting, I tell myself that next time it will be very slightly easier, and this has been working for me for some years now to the point where I now feel quite comfortable walking around town on my own. With something like saying hello to a stranger being such a simple and basic human interaction it frustrated me I was unable to do it, and this compounded my low self-esteem as I became acutely aware of my insufficiencies each and every time my social skills were called upon!
With so many variable to consider (to whom should one say hello? is eye-contact without a greeting rude and vice-versa? if the approaching party comprises more than one person, should one offer salutations to each member of the party, or just one huge "Hellooo" to the entire ensemble?) the mind boggles. Have I mentioned I over-analyse things?
I still occasionally walk with my head down if I'm deep in thought about something like the most efficient route from A to B but as many have previously posted, I too try to walk tall with my head held high.

It helps me to hear people say they've been able to force themselves to stand straight and make eye contact. I've always walked along in my own world looking at the ground in front of me. I'm aware I need to change that, but it's surprising how self-conscious I become when I start to look around me as I walk. Plus, I trip over paving slabs!

I used to always walk looking straight down. then someone mentioned i should look up when i walk. but the reason i looked down was so i didnt trip on something. so i look down a lot of times, but its because i dont want to trip, which i do often. I try to look up for social norms, etc. but then i trip. so its a toss up.

Latest posts

Back