Do you think that you get socially typecast?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cicerolion

Reaction score
I've always been aware that I don't fit in easily. Most of my life, I've managed to cobble together a substantial circle of friends, but I still faced more social resistance than most people. Now, there are several reasons for this: general unattractiveness, an assertive personality, some racial discrimination, the fact that I don't actually like most people either. However, I always felt that one of the strongest barrier for me is a kind of social typecasting. There are unattractive or racially isolated people who fit in very nicely with social circles, but they always are the ones who play a role. I don't think that people dislike assertive, intelligent (I mean in the way I try to conduct myself, not trying to be arrogant), or nerdy people. I think they have an idea of who is supposed to be that way though. I'm tall, strange looking, and racially ambiguous (from my appearance). I think people would like me if I had some kind of simple gentle-giant type personality, because that is the way they see me as at first glance. But, that is not who I am. Does anyone else feel that they would fit in, if they played more to an archetype that fit the popular notion of their appearance?

I think it's a real issue and that everyone probably does it to some extent, even if they aren't ware of it.
Also, being socially adaptive is always going to allow a person to "fit in" better.

EveWasFramed said:
I think it's a real issue and that everyone probably does it to some extent, even if they aren't ware of it.
Also, being socially adaptive is always going to allow a person to "fit in" better.

But, there is a difference in the level of social adaptation. You to act in uniformity with expectations to a degree. A lot of the time, I act deferential towards people who are considerably older than me, even if I disagree with them. But, there is a difference between that and making yourself into a caricature. Though I'm not speaking from a specifically racial standpoint, this dilemma reminds me of the conflict that the main character in Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man" had.

The more unattractive you are the more people expect you to be whipping boy of the group or the expendable member. Or you're to be some nice but dull person people will be decent to when there's no-one else around but treat with disrespect around others, or when it serves them.

They can get quite angry if you're not prepared to accept those roles. Make a point of depriving those people of their expectations.

People usually typecast me as the geek, or the loner introvert.

The fact that I am these things doesn't mean I like being excluded because of them.

You know, I have no idea what I get typecast as. I usually try not to make eye contact with people in public and shy away from them. I have no idea how people perceive me, if you ask some of my customers they'd probably tell you I can be extremely talkative when they come in to my place of work. If they make the mistake of making general conversation with me they start inching towards the door after.

Everyone on the planet is socially typecast. it's just how peoples minds work.
it's sociology 101, and we all do it instinctively since the early stages of human development.
they say that human communication consists of 93 percent body language and paralinguistic cues, while only 7% of communication consists of words themselves.
it goes beyond body language as well, and people also read into clothing, hairstyles and scents (re: Italian shower etc.)
the problem is that most people are not trained in reading these things properly and will do it on instinct based on experiences, and so it is far from an exact science. (50/50)

I personally feel that the way to counter it, is to not concern yourself with it what so ever.
I yam what I yam. and honestly, if people see me as something else.. that is there loss and not my problem.
to conform to social expectations by changing yourself is never an answer. you are far better to find a social circle that fits how you already are.

Awesome topic.
And wow that post above me by Walley is great!
I think I am abnormal in that I think I judge more than on that 7% for communication. When it is available at least anyway.

And I also don't know exactly how I am socially typecasted. I think some people may perceive me different than others. Many people may not know what to make of me altogether. One of the first things people notice about me, is my long hair, and I'm a male. Then after that they see I don't dress to any social standards. So I don't really fit into any group I guess.

When people look at me they generaly see me for my tattoo's long hair and hard exterior & think I look like a gang member, people typecast me all the time, the other day I was in a lunch meeting with 30 pastors and leaders of several differnt AOG churches & I spoke about being in a courthouse one time, supporting my cousin who was there getting sentenced, I sat with the criminals listening to them talking amongst themselves of what crimes they where getn sentenced for etc & how many times they had been through the correctional system, they then turned to me & asked me the same, I told them I was a christian here to support my cousin & i'd never been to prison or even set foot in a courthouse only time i'd been in a police car was at a charity event for kids, so they asked why then was I sitting with them? I replyed the seat looked comfortable, I began to share the Gospel with them and from all I heard I then said that half of you dont need to be here, that if they simply made smarter life choices they wouldnt be in & out of this place, this one guy looks at me and says man I just thought u were one of us you like you fit right in, the pastor's then let out a chorus of laughter, because at the table were 29 smartly dressed pastors & their wives & 1 over grown long haired gangster wearing blue sports shoes with bright yellow laces, gym shorts a white adidas tshirt black hoodie, dark glasses & covered in tattoo's, the up side is I can dress smart and fit right into any formal setting & then walk on to the street & roll with the brothers & not have a single person look at me twice, or turn up to a rock venue plug my Gat in & rock out some heavy riffs, then go to church sunday morning & play the most heavenly music there is, the only people to type cast you are the ones who dont know you.

rdor said:
The more unattractive you are the more people expect you to be whipping boy of the group or the expendable member. Or you're to be some nice but dull person people will be decent to when there's no-one else around but treat with disrespect around others, or when it serves them.

They can get quite angry if you're not prepared to accept those roles. Make a point of depriving those people of their expectations.

I totally agree with this. Sums up my experience to the tee!

jayme89 said:
rdor said:

I totally agree with this. Sums up my experience to the tee!

Yep. If your unattractive, it's expected that your also dull, boring, and even quite stupid that you'll be happy to feed off any scraps of friendship that the better looking people care to toss your way (or that you'll be happy being alone, since beng unattractive, that's all you should expect anyway)

I've encountered LOTS of people like that. And they get quite angry if I try, or even just say, that I don't agree with it.

They expect you to be honoured by their presence but you will never achieve full friend status. Avoid.

I probably do get tyepcast, but I don't know how, really. I've always been sort of a walking paradox. When I was a wimpy looking kid with glasses I had no trouble telling the start football players how stupid they were. Now that I'm grown with long hair I'm probably expected to be some dirty hippie who just goes along with whatever, but I'm obsessive-compulsive with hygiene, opinionated as fresia, and I don't care about conventions.

perfanoff said:
^ probably typecast to unsigned char

fresia that, I'm a pointer. Haters can't touch me, they can only touch what I want them to.

I look timid, but I can have a potty mouth. I'm not sure what I'd be typecast as... I know I'm no lady and that isn't doing me any favors, though.

Dissident said:
I probably do get tyepcast, but I don't know how, really. I've always been sort of a walking paradox. When I was a wimpy looking kid with glasses I had no trouble telling the start football players how stupid they were. Now that I'm grown with long hair I'm probably expected to be some dirty hippie who just goes along with whatever, but I'm obsessive-compulsive with hygiene, opinionated as fresia, and I don't care about conventions.

perfanoff said:
^ probably typecast to unsigned char

fresia that, I'm a pointer. Haters can't touch me, they can only touch what I want them to.

Looks like you need people to keep keep track of you and be careful of you huh. Or else you make people's lives hell :p

I'm char* - I'm cool and old-fashioned but if you push me too far, be ready for undefined behavior :cool:

Latest posts

Back