does good looks really matter in making friends and finding love

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VideoVidiVisum said:
tangerinedream said:
And thoughts of suicide? Gee. How original.
I'm sure you're the first lonely person to say that.

Yupp, you pretty much just made my sick twisted and morbid day with that comment =]

Then my work here is done.

:p

aaarrgg stop fighting.. i cant take it anymore...

well actually... its pretty entertaining.
carry on.

It should not matter, however, many people are fickle and worry about what others might say or think. Reality is, it is not their concern.

happyman said:
Pics or im calling BS

Yeah, suddenly, all just cause of LUCK, everyone on here claims to be a supermodel. Why get all defensive? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

tangerinedream said:
LUCK said:
HA HA HA, you say you can be lonely while in a relationship.

Do you know what is loneliness???

LET ME TELL YOU!

24 years without touching a skin of a female is loneliness.

Never having anyone touch you sexually is loneliness.

Not ever being kissed is loneliness.

You don't know NOTHING about loneliness.

I think about suicide EVERY SINGLE DAY.

That is loneliness!

You've just betrayed your immaturity.

You have no idea how crushingly alone you can be EVEN THOUGH you lie in bed next to someone and even fresia them occasionally. Maybe after you grow up, you'll understand how varied loneliness really is.

Again: Loneliness is about more than whether or not you have someone to touch.

I hate to disagree with you, but Luck is right (in this instance, mind you). If there was a hierarchy of loneliness, a 24 year old never been kissed virgin would be at the top. And someone who was lonely in a relationship would be a couple of notches or so down.

How do I know? Because I've experienced both. I have had periods when I went to bed not wanting to wake up the next day. But I knew what sex was, and I knew what it was for a woman to love me.

I have also experienced at the age of 24, not knowing if I would *ever* kiss a woman. Unless you've experienced it, you really don't know what that's like. Seeing 97% of other men achieve what you haven't is bad for any persons ego.

beans said:
happyman said:
Pics or im calling BS

Yeah, suddenly, all just cause of LUCK, everyone on here claims to be a supermodel. Why get all defensive? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Ah, unless I missed it, no one on here has claimed to be a supermodel.

40somethingguy said:
tangerinedream said:

You have no idea how crushingly alone you can be EVEN THOUGH you lie in bed next to someone and even fresia them occasionally. Maybe after you grow up, you'll understand how varied loneliness really is.

I hate to disagree with you, but Luck is right (in this instance, mind you). If there was a hierarchy of loneliness, a 24 year old never been kissed virgin would be at the top. And someone who was lonely in a relationship would be a couple of notches or so down.

How do I know? Because I've experienced both. I have had periods when I went to bed not wanting to wake up the next day. But I knew what sex was, and I knew what it was for a woman to love me.

I have also experienced at the age of 24, not knowing if I would *ever* kiss a woman. Unless you've experienced it, you really don't know what that's like. Seeing 97% of other men achieve what you haven't is bad for any persons ego.

It's ludicrous to try to rank loneliness into a hierarchy. It's playing the "My Pain is Greater Than Yous" game, and that is total bullshit.

You can never know someone else's experience with loneliness, because it is essentially a personal thing.

Someone once described his loneliness in his marriage as far worse than his loneliness as a virgin teen because at the end of the marriage, he was emotionally alone and what's worse, he knew what he was missing because he'd experienced it.

It is the height of arrogance to tell him that his suffering/loneliness is nothing compared to your own.

Dude, I know that with some young guys, their thinking is 100% cock-centered, and whether or not they're a virgin seems like the most important thing in the universe universe.... universe... but seriously, it is totally ignorant to suggest that someone who is in a relationship doesn't know loneliness because AGAIN: loneliness is NOT about whether or not you have someone to fresia. That can be one contributor sure, but there are many paths to a lonely life.

tangerinedream said:
beans said:

I said I COULD be for all he knows, not that I am.
I never understood why people talk about things that they haven't even bothered to read.

tangerinedream said:
It's ludicrous to try to rank loneliness into a hierarchy. It's playing the "My Pain is Greater Than Yous" game, and that is total bullshit.

You can never know someone else's experience with loneliness, because it is essentially a personal thing.

Someone once described his loneliness in his marriage as far worse than his loneliness as a virgin teen because at the end of the marriage, he was emotionally alone and what's worse, he knew what he was missing because he'd experienced it.

It is the height of arrogance to tell him that his suffering/loneliness is nothing compared to your own.

Dude, I know that with some young guys, their thinking is 100% cock-centered, and whether or not they're a virgin seems like the most important thing in the universe universe.... universe... but seriously, it is totally ignorant to suggest that someone who is in a relationship doesn't know loneliness because AGAIN: loneliness is NOT about whether or not you have someone to fresia. That can be one contributor sure, but there are many paths to a lonely life.

People who don't know how other people live should not say that they are the only lonely people. So ******* what, OMG I HAVEN"T PUT MY PENIS IN SOMEONE YET, I'm the loneliest of them all. I'd ******* LOVE to say that is the only reason I'm lonely (If I had a penis of course). Loneliness is not quite that simple.

i've been completely alone (by myself)

and i've been completely alone (with someone)

and, for me, the second form of loneliness was way worse.

so much so, that i decided to go back to the type of loneliness.

on a second note, i will say that it is clear that (whether delusional or not) the original poster is coming from a point of profound pain and loneliness. it may not manifest itself in the most attractive or polite of ways, but a virtual "piling on" is rarely helpful.

why is it so important to be the loneliest person here.
if you feel lonely you feel lonely.

is it anger towards someone else who might have more than you do ?
or does it make you feel special being the one that has it worse ?

not really aimed at someone just wondering.

To answer the original post/question:

I think looks does matter. However, it does depend on what type of "friend" you are trying to make.
If you are looking for a potential romantic relationship, of course good look does matter. Everyone who is looking for a potential partner would definitely take physical attraction into consideration.

If you are looking for a best buddy to hang on or do things with, I think having a good look does not matter as much (although who would like to hang out with a person who has untidy hair, wears dirty clothes, foul smelling breath?).

Gender also makes a difference. I (as a male) when looking for a female friend, even in non-romantic one, am subconsciously attracted to those girls whom I consider as attractive. No, I am not repelled by those whom I consider as "not-so-good looking" ones, but those whom I consider as beautiful definitely have a head start. This principle does NOT apply when I make male friends.

I guess it's just the law of nature that we do take look into accounts whether we are looking for partners or just making friends when it comes to the opposite sex.

allanh said:

I think looks does matter. However, it does depend on what type of "friend" you are trying to make.
If you are looking for a potential romantic relationship, of course good look does matter. Everyone who is looking for a potential partner would definitely take physical attraction into consideration.

If you are looking for a best buddy to hang on or do things with, I think having a good look does not matter as much (although who would like to hang out with a person who has untidy hair, wears dirty clothes, foul smelling breath?).

Gender also makes a difference. I (as a male) when looking for a female friend, even in non-romantic one, am subconsciously attracted to those girls whom I consider as attractive. No, I am not repelled by those whom I consider as "not-so-good looking" ones, but those whom I consider as beautiful definitely have a head start. This principle does NOT apply when I make male friends.

I guess it's just the law of nature that we do take look into accounts whether we are looking for partners or just making friends when it comes to the opposite sex.

thanks very much that answer i was looking for.that's helps me answer my question.
excellent that explains what i need so looks do matter even making friends as well
explain why i have NO MALE FRIENDS thanks

tangerinedream said:
beans said:
happyman said:
Pics or im calling BS

40somethingguy said:
tangerinedream said:

I'll have to agree. I know that for young guys, its all about kissing and having sex with a girl. It's like EVERYTHING for them. And they think that as long as they have a girlfriend they can fondle and have sex with regularly, they will not deal with loneliness again. But let's ask ourselves here then. If everyone is having a different idea of what loneliness is, what IS loneliness?

Another guy on here was telling me that some people have a girlfriend and wife on here and yet come here and whine about being lonely while he has NOBODY. I mean, we singles, we don't even have someone to text or come home to someone or even say "Yeah, we have SOMEONE."

So really, I don't understand it? Are people who are in relationships not happy because they're with the WRONG person or something?

unlucky in life said:
allanh said:

thanks very much that answer i was looking for.that's helps me answer my question.
excellent that explains what i need so looks do matter even making friends as well

Yes, being not looking is a disadvantage. However, there are a lot of things you can do to improve your chances. Plus, note I say look is only a factor, not the be all and end all in making friends.

beans said:
So really, I don't understand it? Are people who are in relationships not happy because they're with the WRONG person or something?

i think thats part of the "problem" for most.
you dont understand it.
but it doesnt make some one less lonely just because someone else doesnt understand it.
there are lots of reasons for being lonely.
we all have our own.
some might be more obvious but i dont think any one is better than the other.

allanh said:
unlucky in life said:
allanh said:

Yes, being not looking is a disadvantage. However, there are a lot of things you can do to improve your chances. Plus, note I say look is only a factor, not the be all and end all in making friends.
how about finding love being not good looking judge so harshly on weight.height,good looks,hair ,clothes ,age so on. its very shallow people are shallow including my self. but i don't always go by looks

Latest posts

Back