I'm at a cool college, I'm just not in the right mindset

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mr. Sir

Like I've posted, I have issues with my family, and with my self-esteem and I suffer from incel. I just transfered to a really cool college, but I wanted to take a semester off. My mom wouldnt take me seriously.

I want to go to Army Reserves Basic Training this summer (i'll finally be eligible) and I'm worried because boot camp has been extended to 10 weeks, I'm worried I wont be able to do both college and army. I love this college, but I really think I needed to take some time off. I don't wanna drop out, but I have issues.

I start CBT on Friday.

Any ideas?

look i hate to say it but please relax a little.

Out of your 35 posts there are 15 threads already!
I can't even take you seriously.

I'm sorry, it's not that I want to be mean.

Get Down! said:
look i hate to say it but please relax a little.

Out of your 35 posts there are 15 threads already!
I can't even take you seriously.

I'm sorry, it's not that I want to be mean.

Oh so I'm posting too much. :(

Sorry.

Please don't get me wrong - i'm no mod and i'm in no position to discourage you from anything.

As for the topic,
don't you have any college advisor available? Your problem seems to be pretty much institutionalized. I mean that you need to consult with people that are aware of your chances for doing both which I am not. I don't know your college policy and I don't think any of us should tell you what to choose.

(I hope I am making some sense. I never used the word institutionalized or college advisor before)

Get Down! said:
Please don't get me wrong - i'm no mod and i'm in no position to discourage you from anything.

As for the topic,
don't you have any college advisor available? Your problem seems to be pretty much institutionalized. I mean that you need to consult with people that are aware of your chances for doing both which I am not. I don't know your college policy and I don't think any of us should tell you what to choose.

(I hope I am making some sense. I never used the word institutionalized or college advisor before)

My parents will probably kick me out of the house if I drop college for the army, but it's about time I stopped letting them control my life. I'm 20 now.

Hey, I still listen to my parents at the age of 22, but that's pretty much by choice as they do a lot for me. I'm sure if I chose to go into the military instead, they probably would've supported me though, even if they were maybe a bit skeptical at first. But if your parents are not reasonably supportive of you, for decisions that aren't bad for you (there's quite a few pros to joining the military) then yeah, I'd say you need to just listen to yourself.

As for worrying about being kicked out...I agree with Get Down, that you should seek out a school advisor/guidance counselor or whomever can best explain to you the college's policies and tell you what your options are. Once you have reached a decision for yourself, you should then present that to your parents. If they are not understanding and supportive, even after you have done your research and have presented a well-thought out decision/plan to them, then do what YOU want to do. If you join the military, you should be taken care of, as far as housing, health benefits, and money go. You'll at least have the basics (food, clothing, shelter, etc) covered; the army needs you to be in good shape, after all, and you will be compensated for your service.

If your final decision is to join the army for a bit before going back into college, it's not a bad choice at all; just be sure to talk to a school advisor/counselor AND to an army recruiter, plus do your own unbiased research online, to get all of the facts.

Estreen said:
Hey, I still listen to my parents at the age of 22,

My situation is interesting but not unusual, I just need people to not criticize me or call me ungrateful. I feel bad about being a young man during the War (however silly) and I feel like its my duty to be over there with my fellow citizens. I just wont be able to face myself if I look back on history, and ask myself "where was I during the War on Terror? Oh yeah, living with my parents in the suburbs!" It just doesnt sit tight with me. The other problem is that I used to take a medication that the army told me to get off for a year before joining. By March, the year will have passed, which is why I could not have signed up when I was 17 or 18.

I dont get along with my dad, and I find him very suffocating. He used to yell at me all the time, and a couple times he's tried crying like a little kid to get me to feel bad for him. I wanted to take out a Sallie Mae loan so they wouldn't pay for me to go to school, but they told me that was a foolish idea. Because of this, they have alot more control over my life than they should at 20, and I feel like a child. I so I plan on paying them back for college. I just feel like since they saved up for me to go to school, nothing I've done will have been my own accomplishment, and that makes me feel bad. I've worked all the way through college, but I feel like that this shud be something I worked for, but I think they're still not trusting of me taking the reigns of my own life. I wish I had time to make real money, but I've always been in school.

Like I said in my Lost Time thread, I spent two years at this lousy college, where there was nothing to do, and I hate myself for not leaving. Now I'm 20 and I feel like I missed being 18 and 19. My parents are so narrow-minded; They believe EVERYONE who takes a break from college will end up alcoholic and living in a trailer park, and when I was in HS, I really believed that. I have lost two years of the "college experience" and now I'm at a new school where I don't know anybody. Like I said, I suffer from incel, and that really really skews up perspective. I believe the reason I am incel springs from self-hatred, and the self-hatred springs from springs from the fact that I feel emasculated by my dad: he doesn't even insult me anymore, but he used to, and when I would scream at him, the last few times he's tried to cry to make me feel bad.

My parents did come from the working-class, and made their money the hard way, but in the HS I came from you were taught: 1) Graduate from HS. 2) Go right to college for 4 years. 3) White-collar job. Nobody went to trade school, nobody went to army, nobody took breaks.

I dunno. That's why I see the army as a cure. It'll give me toughness and confidence, it will make me independent of my parents, and it will give responsibility as an adult.

I need some ideas, and please, nobody insult me.

Latest posts

Back