is life meaningless?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An archist

Reaction score
So, this is gonna lead us into meaning of life, God, etc. territory. That's ok. What do you think death is? What happens when we die?

Is the universe completely uncaring and just totally absurd? Is there a God? If so, does he care at all about us? Why does life suck? WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?!?

Ooooh a question of everything thread, I always enjoy these. But it's late, I'll think of a good answer tomorrow :p For now I'll say 42

An archist said:
So, this is gonna lead us into meaning of life, God, etc. territory. That's ok. What do you think death is? What happens when we die?

Is the universe completely uncaring and just totally absurd? Is there a God? If so, does he care at all about us? Why does life suck? WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?!?

Death is when all the synapses and electrical activity in the brain are ceased. So when one dies, i guess its a big firework of multiple colors that turns off and one's consciousness dies down with it as well.

The universe is not caring or uncaring, this is not a relevant notion to the universe. All these come from uncertainty, as human being, this is our downfall, we cannot accept uncertainty. It makes us insecure (for good reasons probably) so we desperately to compensate by making up a loving god, loving partners so we feel less lonely.

My two cents, just some thoughts as i try to wrap my mind around your questions.

yamaha CS5 said:
Ooooh a question of everything thread, I always enjoy these. But it's late, I'll think of a good answer tomorrow :p For now I'll say 42

"Thanks for all the fish."

hmm perhaps

I've pretty much just stopped caring,

but i think death won't be so bad, just a quiet warm slumber

..i hope

Twitchy said:
yamaha CS5 said:

"Thanks for all the fish."

R.I.P. Douglas Adams!

I firmly believe the meaning of life is simply to live. Just my two cents.

Yes, life is meaningless.

Dying is probably nothingness. Although I am not so pompous as to pretend I know this for sure.

The universe is indeed uncaring and absurd.

I am unsure on whether there is a God or not. I certainly don't believe in a Judeo-Christian version of God, yet a part of me does believes there is a higher power out there somewhere. Of course, God would be nothing like what most religions would have you believe. God, if one exists, is either indifferent, insane, or a jokester.

There is no reason why life sucks. Not everything has a reason.

Nobody is in charge...yet. Maybe when I get my cult off the ground, I'll take over :p

your life has whatever meaning you want to have....

My life had been full of bullshit, full of happiness, full of loneliness, full of friendships, full of psycho bitches.lol and full of loving people.

Mmmm what purpose dose it serve you might pounder???
Live it...experince it, enjoy it while you can..whatever it may be.
You'll never be here again in this piont in time.
The universe will never be the same again as it is in this moment and piont in time.

Asking if there's a god or not..is like asking why in the fresia a bird can fly and honeysuckle on my car. :p it is what it is.

I don't really know how it is to be dead....maybe for 10-15 sec. IDK...I can't remember

I suspect there is nothing after death and the Universe provides no meaning. That needn't be a bad thing; the meaning you choose for your own life should be adequate. There is plenty to get involved in.

What if this universe was made by something powerful, cause ye let's face it how else could we explain the creation of this universe out of the big 'void'. The big bang or w/e is a reaction of some kind of action right?

Anyway i guess we're all victims of a real bad and long lasting practical joke. We're plugged in this matrix-like world cause we've done something horribly wrong in the real world, like murdering people or we got set up.

Hahaha "the matrix".....nice.

There was no big "void," out of which the universe magically appeared. If you have more than a layman's knowledge of the Big Bang Theory, you'd know that scientists actually say that the universe goes in cycles of collapsing and expanding...and that our last "Big Bang" was simply the transition from a cycle of collapsing to a new cycle of expanding (which we are in now).....Though some physicists are now saying that the univese very well could already be collapsing in on itself again, out in the farther reaches.

So the popular conception that there was NOTHING and then a large explosion that created everything is entirely false, and not postulated in the Big Bang Theory. Rather, the universe has ALWAYS BEEN AROUND (a difficult concept for humanity to grasp)...without beginning and with no end in sight, just cycling through these natural stages of collapsing and expanding, death and rebirth.

LOL well if your matrix idea is true...then don't we have it better in the matrix? If we murdered someone to get in, we're probably better off in here than out there. :p At any rate, I enjoy this matrix, so even if it's a lie, I think I'll stay. :D

----Steve

DutchLost said:
What if this universe was made by something powerful, cause ye let's face it how else could we explain the creation of this universe out of the big 'void'. The big bang or w/e is a reaction of some kind of action right?

Anyway i guess we're all victims of a real bad and long lasting practical joke. We're plugged in this matrix-like world cause we've done something horribly wrong in the real world, like murdering people or we got set up.

The idea that this world is punishment for something done in a previous life/other world doesn't work too well when I consider all the people who have had a similar start in life or much worse than I have, but have made the most of it and been happy. I'm the master of my own destiny, and I'm finding new ways to make the worst of it every day. Entirely my own fault!

Badjedidude said:
Hahaha "the matrix".....nice.

There was no big "void," out of which the universe magically appeared. If you have more than a layman's knowledge of the Big Bang Theory, you'd know that scientists actually say that the universe goes in cycles of collapsing and expanding...and that our last "Big Bang" was simply the transition from a cycle of collapsing to a new cycle of expanding (which we are in now).....Though some physicists are now saying that the univese very well could already be collapsing in on itself again, out in the farther reaches.

So the popular conception that there was NOTHING and then a large explosion that created everything is entirely false, and not postulated in the Big Bang Theory. Rather, the universe has ALWAYS BEEN AROUND (a difficult concept for humanity to grasp)...without beginning and with no end in sight, just cycling through these natural stages of collapsing and expanding, death and rebirth.

I have psychotic episodes thinking about this sort of stuff! But I'm always heartened to find out that one accepted theory has been ditched after the discovery of new data. I doubt any physicist will ever detect the subatomic particles that carry the forces of good and evil, right and wrong though. I think we have to work that crap out as individuals, worst luck!

Yeah, deep down I think I know my own unhappiness is my own fault, and that there really is no greater meaning to anything....and I know the implication of all this is that we should just do what makes us happy. But hey, why are we on ALL again? Cuz we can't make ourselves happy, you know? So that means my meaningless life is being wasted.

One thing I do kind of subscribe to is fate. I'm insignificant and cannot change the world around me and I certainly have proven unable to change my own life, so the only choice really presented to me is to just accept the hand I've been dealt, or being disgruntled about the hand I've been dealt. A while ago I thought I had made peace with my lot in life, but now I'm chomping at the bit again. Either way, things will unfold the way they will inspite of my complaints. Badjedidude pointed out that maybe the universe forever contracting and expanding. This is just like Battlestar Galacitca! "All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again!" I wonder if that means that we've always playing the same part in a story that is being told over and over again indefinitely. If that's the case, then it really is a good idea to just accept what you've got. Well, thanks for all the responses.

Oh, I was going to reply to this but never did :/

Yeah there's meaning to life; you have a will, you know. That is your goal in life, doing/having/feeling/knowing what you want. You want to be a good Christian? That's your goal in life. You want to have a big house and lots of cars and a cat with two heads just for the heck of it? Well that is what gives your life meaning. You don't know what you want? Your goal is to find out, because apparently you're searching for that goal, meaning that you want to have one.

Everyone wants something; even if you're heavily depressed and don't want to do anything but lay in bed, you still have that will. Even when I didn't even want to lay in bed anymore and just wanted to die, that was the meaning of my life.

Yep, life is entirely meaningless but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's fun to think about all the amazingly improbable things that occurred in order for you to exist, whether they be cosmic, geologic or biologic

I mean we are all progeny of winners;people who have been able to breed and fling their genetic material into the future and now we carry that genetic material, not to mention we were all the fastest sperm to the egg:p

Life doesn't have to have a predetermined meaning and once you can accept that, life suddenly doesn't seem so bad, a lot less pressure

the concept of life is meaningless; but everything happens for a reason.

life is just waking up everyday and carrying on. it's like turning yourself at night then resuming what you was doing the next day. like a game. with no reset. or stats. and only one character.

if you try to find a meaning of your life or any life you will just forget what your doing. and realise it's all meaningless. because it is.

i'm so happy for the people who see life as a positive thing. but i just see it as robotic or being on a life/oxygen machine that will switch itself off one day.

the concept of death scares me; because i will not be able to see anything or anyone anymore; and i'm worried i will still exist inside a body that doesn't move anymore; like a permanant coma.

ghosts do exist; well the spirit of a person can be left inprinted on the world; i've seen people who hover around their death bed as you could say. but they know they aren't with us anymore. so maybe there is life after death; we don't know untill it happens.

i'm not ready to die; i don't think i ever will be.

Latest posts

Back