Location ratio at A Lonely Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What country do you live in?

• United States

Votes: 213 44.3%
  • Canada

Votes: 51 10.6%
  • Central America

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • South America

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Europe

Votes: 137 28.5%
  • Former USSR

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Asia

Votes: 28 5.8%
  • Middle East

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • Africa

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Oceania

Votes: 24 5.0%

• Total voters
I bet I am the ONLY one that lives in the Garden of Eden! lol
with all the mormons on here,how come that wasn't an option?

Punisher said:
wiahwib said:
Not many Asians here o_O
Too busy working their lives away :(
<< is Asian

There's quite a few Asians here, but not all of them live in Asia :p

"Asian" also means different things to different folks. I got into a conversation with a poster I know from the UK (different forum). There'd been some news story local to her that had mentioned "two Asian youths" who were wanted for questioning by the police. Most of the American posters on that forum had an image of two Chinese, Japanese or Thai guys, but all of the other posters from the UK said that, to them, it meant Indian or Pakistani.

Here, someone from Pakistan or India might easily be mistaken for, and called "Middle Eastern." Even though India is part of Asia, we don't often associate the subcontinent with the term "Asian." It makes little sense, but "Asian" is most often mistaken for a racial characteristic rather than a geographic one.

Hell, a Russian from Siberia is technically "Asian" as well, but in the US we'd never call them "Asian."

It's all semantics. :)

cheaptrickfan said:
Punisher said:
wiahwib said:
Not many Asians here o_O
Too busy working their lives away :(
<< is Asian

There's quite a few Asians here, but not all of them live in Asia :p

"Asian" also means different things to different folks. I got into a conversation with a poster I know from the UK (different forum). There'd been some news story local to her that had mentioned "two Asian youths" who were wanted for questioning by the police. Most of the American posters on that forum had an image of two Chinese, Japanese or Thai guys, but all of the other posters from the UK said that, to them, it meant Indian or Pakistani.

Here, someone from Pakistan or India might easily be mistaken for, and called "Middle Eastern." Even though India is part of Asia, we don't often associate the subcontinent with the term "Asian." It makes little sense, but "Asian" is most often mistaken for a racial characteristic rather than a geographic one.

Hell, a Russian from Siberia is technically "Asian" as well, but in the US we'd never call them "Asian."

Lol, i was explaining the same thing in the chat room a few nights ago :p

In the UK we call the Chinese, Japanese, Thai etc 'Oriental', and the Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis 'Asian'.

I confused Knight (an American) when i said i was Asian :p

Punisher said:
cheaptrickfan said:

In the UK we call the Chinese, Japanese, Thai etc 'Oriental', and the Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis 'Asian'.

Divided by a common tongue and divergent colonial experiences. lol

Also, I didn't know you were Asian. Color me clueless. :p

cheaptrickfan said:
Punisher said:
cheaptrickfan said:

Yeah :p My parents are from Bangladesh, but i was born and raised in Wales, so i'm British first.

Punisher said:
cheaptrickfan said:
Punisher said:
cheaptrickfan said:

Yeah :p My parents are from Bangladesh, but i was born and raised in Wales, so i'm British first.

Ah, I bet you have a kick-ass Welsh accent though, don't you? heh

Like many Americans, I'm a mix: a full quarter French (via Quebec), a good 50% from the British Isles (mostly English, but with some Welsh and Scots in there for flavor) and 25% German. Nothing terribly exotic.

cheaptrickfan said:
Punisher said:
cheaptrickfan said:
Punisher said:
cheaptrickfan said:

Ah, I bet you have a kick-ass Welsh accent though, don't you? heh

Like many Americans, I'm a mix: a full quarter French (via Quebec), a good 50% from the British Isles (mostly English, but with some Welsh and Scots in there for flavor) and 25% German. Nothing terribly exotic.

Lol, i don't know about it being "kick-ass", but yeah, i have a Welsh accent :p

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes you would have confused me as well, Asians to us are Chinese, Japanese, Thai etc and Indians etc are known here by there ethinictiy

Latest posts

Back