Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenish

Reaction score
Hello,

I popped in yesterday for a quick peek and read so many posts that I could relate to that I decided to stick around for a bit.

I'm a 40 year old guy, spending way too much time in my own company. In my late 20's I got injured and had to leave my job as a police officer. I then ended up studying accounting followed by post graduate studies. Finding it very tough to relate to people in the workplace I decided to stop working for now at least. In addition to art classes and reading copious amounts of books I try to take as many short trips as I possibly can.

Looking forward to reading about all your experiences and thoughts and sharing some of my own. And perhaps, just perhaps making some friends along the way.

Hiya, welcome to LL. :)

Did you do an online course? Someone in my family did, took her 7 years to reach her Masters. Quite a few years ago Dad put me on the Writers Bureau writing course that had me published. These online courses are fantastic! They give us a sense of worth.

I hope you will find our forum community friendly. People here have helped me so much, so I do hope you will stay.

Best,
Anna Mouse

Welcome Greenish. I hope you like it here. I was wondering what kind of art classes you go to?

Thank you for the welcome everyone!!

@ Mouse - For my accounting studies I attended the local university. I did try a writing course online though and found it very interesting. It's wonderful that you've been published. I didn't have the courage to go that far.

@ Katerina - I take classes at a former art lecturer who's running a small art school from home. Painting mainly in oils but trying my hand at water colour as well. Your paintings are incredible, I'd love to know how you painted the fur on those animals

Greenish said:
@ Mouse - For my accounting studies I attended the local university. I did try a writing course online though and found it very interesting. It's wonderful that you've been published. I didn't have the courage to go that far.

My tutor was the highly respected David Kitchen, Welsh poet, storyteller, teacher and broadcaster. He was most encouraging. With gentle persistence David coaxed me to publish in a variety of British magazines before I braved KDP like one other member of my family who did the same. So I am saying that if it was possible with me, then it is highly possible with you. :)

What is your favourite oil paint? Windsor & Newton? I love their artists' colour paints, though some colours are very expensive. And what is your favourite fine artist? Mine is Pierre de Clausade. He painted with a palette knife so leanly that anyone would have thought he used fine sable brushes. I have one of his seascapes he painted in northern France.

Greenish said:
@ Katerina - I take classes at a former art lecturer who's running a small art school from home. Painting mainly in oils but trying my hand at water colour as well. Your paintings are incredible, I'd love to know how you painted the fur on those animals

That sounds great, I think smaller classes can often be a better environment to learn. It's nice to meet another oil painter too. Thank you for the compliment about my work. I generally work by blocking in areas with a mid-tone colour and then build up the shadows and then follow with the highlights. With fur I also make sure to follow the 'arrangement' of fur - this more of an issue on the head, particularly around the nose and eyes, and try to avoid too much mark-making so I'm not painting every hair.

I hope you'll share some of your artwork with us, I'd really like to see it :)

Latest posts

Back