Pet Peeves

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people who think being depressed is trendy clearly have no idea what it is like to be depressed.

i've been there. i've looked in the mirror day after day and said "please god, don't let this be the day i kill myself".

nothing trendy about it. and being so stupid as to think wearing tight pants and dying your hair dark gives you some special insight into that is ludacrous.

Just_Some_Dude said:
people who think being depressed is trendy clearly have no idea what it is like to be depressed.

i've been there. i've looked in the mirror day after day and said "please god, don't let this be the day i kill myself".

nothing trendy about it. and being so stupid as to think wearing tight pants and dying your hair dark gives you some special insight into that is ludacrous.

*shrug* the clothing style could come from what the music artists wear, whose lyrics they identify with and whom the impressionable teens idolize.

That is just a theory.

Teens have all sorts of names for different cliques.

I was also in the prep clique, prep meaning preparer for college probably. I was in student council and such.

I agree that Depression isnt something that should be trivilized in any way shape or form. It's a serious disorder that should be taken seriously, no matter how it manifests itself.

i don't have any problem with emos. lol.

in highschool, we called them "The Beautiful People" referring to the Marilyn Manson song, of course...

most came from dual-parent homes, never did drugs, never fought, were middle to upper class, and not "typically" good looking by societal standards. it was more a form of expression than actual depression. it was something to identify with. it's a trend.

i'm not saying depression is a trend. i'm saying emo is just like prep, it's just like loaner, it's just like skater, it's just like hiphop, it's just like country. it's a trend. some of those kids may be genuinely depressed, but the same goes for every other group.

honestly, i would prefer emo kids to annoying lil' gangsta wannabes anyday. :p

I don't have a problem with emo as a fashion, music, whatever trend. I just have a problem with those who use it as a depression trend. There actually are people out there who want to be miserable or at least pretend to be because it's "cool". As hard as it is to imagine, it's true. I've met a few of them.

That's why you rarely find adults, outside of the music/entertainment industry, who actually claim to be emo; Adults who suffer from real depression aren't trying to do it to fit into a group or to be trendy.

When you see people reaching to make a problem out of things that really aren't a problem just so they can whine about it and say it's causing them to be depressed... fake emo crap. "My personal assistant brought me the wrong kind of cappuccino. I'm gonna go die."

tehdreamer said:
When you see people reaching to make a problem out of things that really aren't a problem just so they can whine about it and say it's causing them to be depressed... fake emo crap. "My personal assistant brought me the wrong kind of cappuccino. I'm gonna go die."

I think that's called being dramatic. :p

I worked as a teacher for a number of years and found what JSD and others said to be very true. Depression has sadly become a trend and attention seeking device. Some students use it to get their parents attention, the more troubled they seem the more the parents actually see and deal with them. In extreme cases, it's used to get favors out of parents. Also, a number of students use it as a way to gain recognition within the schools social framework. If you can't be the smartest and best looking, or the best jock etc...then being the most likely to be dangerously insane or suicidal does earn a rep in school which is considered by some, preferable to being picked on or invisible.

There are many true cases of depression out there and I'm sure there are genuine cases within any, "emo" group. But what Tehdreamer said is also very true, the ones using depression as an excuse to just be dramatic or in plainer terms a complete, "pain-in-the -ass" It hurts all the folks really suffering with disorders. Folks tend to then think ALL people are using these conditions as either trends or excuses. That is the really dangerous part of it.... Folks who need help begin to bottle up their issues for fear of cruel judgements.

Nina said:
There are many true cases of depression out there and I'm sure there are genuine cases within any, "emo" group. But what Tehdreamer said is also very true, the ones using depression as an excuse to just be dramatic or in plainer terms a complete, "pain-in-the -ass" It hurts all the folks really suffering with disorders. Folks tend to then think ALL people are using these conditions as either trends or excuses. That is the really dangerous part of it.... Folks who need help begin to bottle up their issues for fear of cruel judgements.

I agree...people who go around attempting to tell the whole world through their attitude/clothing/image etc. that they are depressed, are often not actually depressed, but perhaps think it's cool to be depressed. From what I've seen (and I'm by no means an expert on the subject), truly depressed people don't go around advertising it, but hide it as a part of their defense mechanism. Maybe that's just me, but true depression comes from within, but seldom makes its way out. Just a thought :p

Nina said:
I worked as a teacher for a number of years and found what JSD and others said to be very true. Depression has sadly become a trend and attention seeking device. Some students use it to get their parents attention, the more troubled they seem the more the parents actually see and deal with them. In extreme cases, it's used to get favors out of parents. Also, a number of students use it as a way to gain recognition within the schools social framework. If you can't be the smartest and best looking, or the best jock etc...then being the most likely to be dangerously insane or suicidal does earn a rep in school which is considered by some, preferable to being picked on or invisible.

I like this insight. :)

btw this website is interesting: http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/attent.htm

i've never fully related to 'emo's' or other trend followers etc.

i remember this trend follower in highschool who was the most popular girl in school.

(so it seems 'miss perfect a.k.a ***** was often getting butt messed by different guys on the weekend and doing the occasional other naughty things on the weekend... things that make ya go hmmmm

she usually just wore the typical Levi's, Guess and you know

perhaps needed some psychological help too?

not to say that every emo is a well reasoned nice person either lol

Nina said:
Folks tend to then think ALL people are using these conditions as either trends or excuses. That is the really dangerous part of it.... Folks who need help begin to bottle up their issues for fear of cruel judgements.

Yep. Plus, there is still a stigma that comes along with mental illness.

Then, there are those folks who claim that mood disorders don't exist and say that all anyone ever needs to do is "buck up" and "cheer up" because hey, they were blue once too and now look at them, they've got the Bluebird of Happiness practically lodged up their ass 24/7.

Dude, there is a huge difference between occasional bouts of feeling down and unipolar or bipolar depression. It's kind of like comparing a paper cut on your lil' fingie to a sucking chest wound.

SophiaGrace said:
Nina said:

I like this insight. :)

btw this website is interesting: http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/attent.htm

EXCELLENT WEBSITE!! :)

CTF--there is a huge difference between occasional bouts of feeling down and unipolar or bipolar depression. It's kind of like comparing a paper cut on your lil' fingie to a sucking chest wound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soooo true.

Sorry if this has been covered.

But guys who get SO bitchy because you ask them to use a condom.

90 people get Swine Flu and everyone wants to wear a facemask; millions of people have AIDS and noone wants to wear a friggin' condom.

PurpleDays said:
Sorry if this has been covered.

90 people get Swine Flu and everyone wants to wear a facemask; millions of people have AIDS and noone wants to wear a friggin' condom.

Try wearing a condom. It's uncomfortable.

PurpleDays said:

I'd wear a broiled rat skin on my weewee right now if it meant sex with a wimmin. :D lulz

....Are you effing kidding me? I would HAPPILY wear the female alternative if they were easy to access and significantly cheaper.

I do my bit, the man should do his.

People who think they have all the answers to everyone else's lives, but are struggling so badly with their own. Offering advice is one thing, but some people just act like their word is the one and only truth. Annoying as hell.

Latest posts

Back