plan on proposing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrowrd

Reaction score
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Just figured I'd post here, since I consider all of you online family. I am approaching the third year with my girlfriend - so unbeknownst to her, I bought an engagement ring today. I'm selling this house we live in, and we're moving into another. Had to take out a loan to do a bunch of upgrades, so I'm pretty sure she has no idea I'd buy a ring during this phase of our life together.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]This relationship is what marriage was created for. I'm not cocky but I'm pretty sure yes is a done deal. That being said, I want to do this right.... I want it to be a surprise, romantic, something she will always remember.[/font]

Figured I'd share, and keep you posted.

TheRealCallie said:
Awww, that's so sweet.  So what are you planning?

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I'm thinking that I have time to do it right, so I have a couple irons in the fire. [/font]I sent the ring out for a new <yellow gold> setting so I have some time. (everything appears to be white gold these days. Might as well have silver) So, I have a couple ideas but I'm always information gathering for good ideas to add to what I'd like to accomplish here.

Friday night I took her to one of our favorite Italian restaurants. I called ahead and told them I was proposing, and if they could reserve one of the few tables for two, one that is our favorite. Our waiter, I could tell, knew just by the way he smiled and talked to us. When I went to use the restroom, one of the waitresses asked me "how are things going?"

Well, she said yes. When the waiter came back, I told him to tell 'everyone' she said yes. He smiled and thanked me for telling him. Said the whole restaurant was rooting for me. About five servers, plus the owner came by the table to congratulate us. Our waiter later on, proceeded to talk about his own marriage, and teared up when talking to me. I told him how lucky I was to be with my girlfriend, and that marriage was created for a relationship like ours. We walked along the lake-shore at sunset after dinner, arm in arm, talking about our new era in our relationship. It was perfect.

I want to buy a gift for you that I saw on ebay,
dark-humor.jpg

Whats your address?

Congratulations! That sounds awesome. You did good.

I pray you will be happy in your relationship and stay together.

Oh, one piece of advice.... if you get into an argument/fight with her and she goes to the bedroom or study or where ever, wait 60 seconds. Breathe. Calm down. And then go give her a hug and tell her you love her. (I call it "Hugging the porcupine", because she has all those barbs and is totally unfriendly and may have even hurt you, but you need to do this! I do it about 50% of the time. Stupid pride gets the best of me sometimes.)

Good luck!

Drew said:
Congratulations! That sounds awesome. You did good.

I pray you will be happy in your relationship and stay together.

Oh, one piece of advice.... if you get into an argument/fight with her and she goes to the bedroom or study or where ever, wait 60 seconds. Breathe. Calm down. And then go give her a hug and tell her you love her. (I call it "Hugging the porcupine", because she has all those barbs and is totally unfriendly and may have even hurt you, but you need to do this! I do it about 50% of the time. Stupid pride gets the best of me sometimes.)

Good luck!

Thanks Drew.  I agree with you on both parts. I do hold her most times, there are times though when I need my space and don't. But honestly we don't get into many arguments.  She's an introvert - the kind everyone in our club wants. Pretty, soft spoken, nurturing, shy, non-social, - and there's me, mr. can't get along with anyone.  What a pair we make. She says she would change nothing about me, and that's a nice thing.

I have felt alone my whole life, even in relationships.  I hold the world at arms length, and even though I'm capable of being in groups, I never blend. I never am really a part of anything.   The best analogy I've used is that I am in a bubble watching the world go by. This girl has entered the bubble with me, and we're watching it together.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back