What does 'good looking' mean ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aisha said:
Despicable Me said:
Aisha said:
Despicable Me said:
Aisha said:
Dictionaries are a thing. Why is this a debate?
Because dictionaries are not Life's Handbook and don't explain anything but a word's meaning. :p
"What does 'good looking' mean" is the title of the thread.. So..
See? You're still being too literal. That's exactly my point.

And what's wrong with being literal? Are we only supposed to acknowledge some abstract meaning of it just so everyone can go off on any tangent they like and begin purposeless fights that are irrelevant to the actual question? I answered the question and got to the point. 'Looks' have nothing to do with anything other than physical appearance. 'Beauty' isn't the question here, otherwise everyone could talk all day about how inner beauty is all that counts.
What is this life's handbook that you seem to know about anyway? Does everyone get a copy? I haven't received mine yet. Perhaps then I'll have the answer to the question of what good looking means that seems to be the correct one for you. =)

+1

Aisha said:
Someone else has already said the bit about it being dependent on the eye of the beholder. Good looking to you would mean someone you think is physically appealing, someone who is physically attractive to you. Looks are physical characteristics/appearance and nothing else. Dictionaries are a thing. Why is this a debate? If you were talking about attraction/attractiveness that would encompass everything else as well.

And this too.

What's good looking to an individual is all preferential. One can't speak for the other...

Aisha said:
And what's wrong with being literal?
There is quite a bit wrong with being literal all the time. But I'm not going to get into that here. Suffice it to say that if you take things literally which weren't intended that way then you are essentially opting out of a massively significant part of communication. And that does cause issues, tons of them.

Aisha said:
Are we only supposed to acknowledge some abstract meaning of it just so everyone can go off on any tangent they like and begin purposeless fights that are irrelevant to the actual question?
No, of course not. You're supposed to acknowledge abstract meanings to understand context, intent, and meaning. But like I said, I don't feel like going into that here. Basically the gist of it is that if you misinterpret things, always literally, then you will fail to see the point of a large number of people's attempts to communicate.

Aisha said:
I answered the question and got to the point. 'Looks' have nothing to do with anything other than physical appearance.
Yeah, but that's kind of the point. But I guess that's the problem I just explained.

Aisha said:
What is this life's handbook that you seem to know about anyway? Does everyone get a copy? I haven't received mine yet.
No one gets one, because there isn't one. That's the whole point. But again...

Edit: To rephrase what I'm trying to say, I don't mind if you speak literally about everything, that's your choice, but when you 'interpret' everything literally is when it causes the problems. Have you never been interested in anything like Philosophy before? That subject is full of abstract concepts and metaphors.

Despicable Me said:
There is quite a bit wrong with being literal all the time.

Yes, there definitely would be.
I answer one question and suddenly that becomes all I ever am. Since you've made a vast generalization concerning my every approach or reply, I will return the favour and make the assumption that all you do is make generalizations about other people without knowing anything about them or having interacted with them before. No? Then don't do it.
A simple answer is sufficient here. Having an interest in philosophy doesn't mean I have to apply it to every single situation or scenario. If you wish to do so, that's up to you. I'm not required to think like you. My initial reply to this thread wasn't directed towards you or the OP or to anyone in particular. I still haven't read your earlier posts on this thread. Also, I doubt callie's post on the urban dictionary definition of literally was directed at me.
And that last line you quoted from me? That wasn't me taking things literally. See, there's this thing called sarcasm- hold on, I think I may have a dictionary here somewhere I could lend to you..

Seriously though. I was just voicing my thoughts on the topic as a whole. No need to be on the attack for every random post you see. Turn on your zen, dude.
Edit: Like, literally.

Aisha said:
Seriously though. I was just voicing my thoughts on the topic as a whole. No need to be on the attack for every random post you see. Turn on your zen, dude.
You got defensive because I disagreed with your literal response to a topic that was obviously not intended literally. And you think I'm the one that needs to 'turn on my zen'? Huh. Okay.

Also, kind of ironic for two reasons.
First, I'm sure you couldn't have known this, but do you even know much about the Zen religion? I know quite a bit about it myself. Quite a bit.
Second, because it's obviously not intended literally (that would be impossible in many ways). Perhaps this second irony was intended, though.

Anyway, I was just pointing out your error. No need to get defensive. Everyone makes mistakes. It happens.

A lonely butt yodel wafts from the direction of despicable me. A match is struck, literally. Alas! The rump trumpet is too abstract for the match, and the flame dies in irony and monkeys.

And so close-th this chapter.

Aisha said:
A lonely butt yodel wafts from the direction of despicable me. A match is struck, literally. Alas! The rump trumpet is too abstract for the match, and the flame dies in irony and monkeys.

And so close-th this chapter.

Knock it off, we don't allow that kind of behaviour here.

Sorry! Just tried to end something that could have gone on forever with a little absurdism and humour.

Come to Europe (not the U.K I mean) if you want to know what good looking means.

Rorschach.png

Truth over anything.

I don't think anybody understood my question.
A person can make their looks much better with nice clothes, positive attitude, body language etc.
It's not just about a pretty face. When you look at somebody, you are not just looking at their faces ?

Triple Bogey said:
A person can make their looks much better with nice clothes, positive attitude, body language etc.
It's not just about a pretty face. When you look at somebody, you are not just looking at their faces ?

Good looking typically means looks only. Looking good, on the other hand, means what you described here.

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

Good looking typically means looks only. Looking good, on the other hand, means what you described here.

This is probably what caused the confusion.

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

I've haven't heard the term 'looking good' much.

So what are women attracted to 'good looking' guys or guys who 'look good' ?

There isn't anything stopping anybody (even me) from looking good.
Maybe apart from money ?

I am not sure exactly. Some people I admit are "good looking" because I know they think they are and or conventionally they could be perceived that way. But for me I don't find them good looking. Example here for me... Brad Pitt.

But for me, good looking is someone who commands my attention. So outstanding that I have to look no matter what they are doing. Ie. George Clooney.

Then, there are people that are good looking and I know they are good looking but still their persona seems to say, my looks aren't something that are outstanding sort of diminishing how attractive they are... such as Jason Bateman.

Then there are people who I don't think are good looking at all but, after spending some time with them, I feel like they are crazy good looking such as real life people i know.

LonelySutton said:
I am not sure exactly. Some people I admit are "good looking" because I know they think they are and or conventionally they could be perceived that way. But for me I don't find them good looking. Example here for me... Brad Pitt.

But for me, good looking is someone who commands my attention. So outstanding that I have to look no matter what they are doing. Ie. George Clooney.

Then, there are people that are good looking and I know they are good looking but still their persona seems to say, my looks aren't something that are outstanding sort of diminishing how attractive they are... such as Jason Bateman.

Then there are people who I don't think are good looking at all but, after spending some time with them, I feel like they are crazy good looking such as real life people i know.

I have had this happen to me so many times. It's why I don't judge people just on their looks. You never what what lies behind the exterior.

A "good looking" guy can be a total ass and he won't look good to me anymore. An average looking guy can be totally sweet and charming and intelligent and whatever else and he will become beautiful to me.

But it will be different for everyone. Anyone (not matter looks) can be an ******* or a sweetheart. I think that's what matters in the long run....how you treat people, how you are around people. Anyone has a chance to be good looking and money has little to do with it.
But, if you want an opinion on your actual looks and ways to improve them, we'd have to see a full on pic, not a side pic that has most of your face hidden. But as I said, looks don't mean everything and they won't matter if you meet the right girl.

TheRealCallie said:
I have had this happen to me so many times. It's why I don't judge people just on their looks. You never what what lies behind the exterior.

A "good looking" guy can be a total ass and he won't look good to me anymore. An average looking guy can be totally sweet and charming and intelligent and whatever else and he will become beautiful to me.

Unfortunately most people don't have that same outlook that you have. And that is a shame.

TheRealCallie said:
But it will be different for everyone. Anyone (not matter looks) can be an ******* or a sweetheart. I think that's what matters in the long run....how you treat people, how you are around people. Anyone has a chance to be good looking and money has little to do with it.

How you treat the people you know is the most important thing. But here's the thing. A good looking person can get away with being disrespectful to people a lot longer because of his looks. An average guy better not pull the same stuff because he won't be able to charm his way out of things that easy.

TheRealCallie said:
But, if you want an opinion on your actual looks and ways to improve them, we'd have to see a full on pic, not a side pic that has most of your face hidden. But as I said, looks don't mean everything and they won't matter if you meet the right girl.

Did that hit home Callie. Bulls-eye.

BeyondShy said:
How you treat the people you know is the most important thing. But here's the thing. A good looking person can get away with being disrespectful to people a lot longer because of his looks. An average guy better not pull the same stuff because he won't be able to charm his way out of things that easy.

Speak for yourself here. If you're wise, you'll see right through a good-looking guy with a bad personality. Bad personality traits are not all that nebulous or hard to spot.

Back to the OP and I think some other responders have made the same comment - I think good-looking is subjective. Some people like tall blondes, some people like short brunettes and the list could go on and on. But there are some basics that most feel are attractive for both men and women - clean clothes, groomed hair and nails, brushed teeth. Beyond that, I think is mostly a matter of personal opinion. :)

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back