What kept/keeps you from suicide?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything, anywhere, anytime, for no reason at all.
And, I'm hoping that one day I can actually make myself happy. Just gotta keep going.

1. The belief that everything in the world can be mastered, including happiness
2. If that failed, I should devote my life to selflessness, helping those who know how to enjoy living.

Ladysphinx said:
What keeps you from killing your self or how do you fight the thoughts of suicide?

Sounds a bit Julie Andrews but I've just watched my sister lose her battle with cancer, my father died two years earlier also from cancer and though I have no idea why I'm still here I do know that there are many people fighting to stay alive out there and to just give it all away would be a big slap in their faces. Often, in my case, I only think about the immediate family such as my mum or nan but there are other people who would be affected that you don't even consider. Then there's the obvious pain factor and the possiblility of something going wrong and surviving.

[/size][/font]

Well I reached a compromise between the side of me that desires suicide and the side of me that doesn't. So I consider myself dead to the flesh and alive onto God, who I believe paid the price for me.

Knowing that someone out there needs me. That I have people who I make laugh or smile or feel good. Also, knowing that there are 6 other billion people out there. One of them has got to be worse off then me. And also, there are 6 billion people out there, 6 billion people to meet. People who have stories, fears, loves, humors, personalities, jobs. Don't give up too soon on life. Something out there, there has got to be something out there that makes you happy, that gives you meaning. Oh and also, making personal goals. Knowing that I need to accomplish them keeps me going. There is always something to do.

The fact that, if I don't succeed, people will find out how I really am and I don't want them to know so I can only do it if I'm absolutely certain it'll work. That and I don't want my daughter to find my body. Once I've worked through those little kinks....nothing.

The realization that time moves forward.
Nothing felt important to live for, and killing myself seemed so easy.
But I knew that would make me cowardly, and I knew this life I was given is beautiful, it's just my choice to make what I want out of it.
And I would not die a coward.
SO, I found something to live for.
I changed my perspective, and knew that today I may not want to live, but if I go for something i love no matter how crazy it is, I would find so much beauty and happiness.
No doubt, I still have those evenings where nothing seems worth it,
but I look to the future.
I see myself in a place of complete happiness,
and I go for it.
No and's if's or but's.

My two little brothers. I love them so much. I know that if I ever did something to myself it would really hurt them..My closest brother needs me and I need him.

my sister who i love so much... whenever she texts or calls, its the only time i actually feel like life is worth living.

You know, I'm not like many of these people. I don't have family or friends to hold me back, nor any special items or events that is coming soon to hold me back. Pain and death aren't things I fear. However, on one rainy day (Good story so far, eh?) I stopped to think about the worth of life. Life itself is a beautiful thing, something to be cherished. I couldn't imagine being unable to see sunsets and sunrises anymore, or watching people walk by, or even conversation.

Outside of anything outside of the self, I also thought of what I could do with my life. I could easily just give up, but if you truly have nothing to live for, then what can stop you while you're still alive? If nothing stops you from ending your own life, then there is nothing you ultimately care about, therefore, you are capable of doing amazing, possibly limitless things.

One night feeling suicidal about a year ago, I received a spiritual revelation of eternal punishment that scared me so much that I will never want to take my life again....

Despite years of chronic depression and loneliness, I have never seriously entertained the thought of actually killing myself. I guess I'm just too stubborn. I'm the type that, having bought tickets to the show, will stay till the end, no matter HOW crappy it is.
But there have been times that I would have welcomed a fatal accident...

What keeps me from Suicide is my Boyfriend who just yesterday talked me out of one of my darkest times yet, he told me to pray and It was the hardest thing to do to tell him i didn't feel i deserved God's mercy...he prayed for me and I went to sleep, peacefully.

I've only felt suicidal once. It was when I was being tormented by my boss in a job that I could not quit (military). He made me feel like honeysuckle every day. Add that to the fact that I am catching up to 30 and have never experienced any intimacy/friendship with another human being my entire life. It felt like there was nothing to look forward to except more misery.

But, I know that times like that are temporary. I'm still in the military and have long forgotten the boss that used to torment me. Life goes on.

But, for the forum topic, two things keep me from suicide. My family loves me (they are the only ones who do) and the other reason, is that if God exists, by taking my life I would be pretty much spitting in his face. I don't think it would go over too well at the judgment gate. ^^;

my mother, father and sister. Just knowing what it would do to them is enough to get me to put my head down and just plow through the often un relenting misery. I doubt I'd actually do it though, five or so years ago would have been a different story, but now, I dunno, I guess a permanent solution to a hopefully temporary problem just doesn't sound right

My partner, daughter and 5 cats.

Sadly, partner, daughter and 3 cats have now passed on. 2 cats to go and they are elderly.

When those two have gone, ask me then. When those two have gone and you ask me, I may not be here to tell you an answer.

Latest posts

Back