What mask do you hide behind?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wandering--
You're adorable! You look fun loving, not a bit douchey as far as I can see.

Lost soul--
I think a good many of us share the, pretending to be in a good mood to outrun the saddness, technique. We all need to give each other a hug for trying our best to keep our heads above depression some days. Here's your's ((((lost soul))))

Wandering, ahhhhhh, see, there you go, Your pic looks like a cheerful, confident, funloving guy.....My heart goes right out to you because people are always remarking to me about what a cheerful and vibrant little soul I am. I simply have that freaking face trained to make that expression....It has nothing to do with how I feel. You get a hug too (((Wandering))) We need them just for being brave enough to start to take the masks off in here.

I hide behind a mask of false happiness - I pretend to be happy and I try to stop my true feelings from surfacing, I put on a mask and try to pretend to the world that I am coping.

Broken_Doll--
Looks like you're in good company here. We all seem to wear a mask that shows a very different expression than our hearts. You get a hug too! (((Borken_Doll)))

Nina said:
Lost soul--
I think a good many of us share the, pretending to be in a good mood to outrun the saddness, technique. We all need to give each other a hug for trying our best to keep our heads above depression some days. Here's your's ((((lost soul))))

Thank you, been needing a hug :)

I pretend that I don't need help. I pretend that I don't ever feel down or depressed. That's my mask.

And it's a damned hard one to take off.

My mask never shows me as particularly happy. I just come across as content, and any smiling or happiness is genuine. But if I'm freaking out inside for what ever reason, I act exactly the same.

Broken_Doll said:
I hide behind a mask of false happiness - I pretend to be happy and I try to stop my true feelings from surfacing, I put on a mask and try to pretend to the world that I am coping.

Broken_Doll - I've been thinking of a way to describe my mask for the last 2 days and this one is exactly how I would put in for me too.

How is it that a middle child like me ended up being the care taker? At work, family and even in love I always end up being the responsible one even if they are older than me... I want to be taken cared of too *sigh*

Bjd--
The, "I'm always fine mask" mask gets glued right on. You get so use to wearing it you sometimes get completely lost behind it...

evanescencefan--
"bad-ass, hot and confident, ANYTHING, would be pretty decent to have!

st624--
The nuetral mask----I pull that one out when I'm sick and just don't have the strength to go in full-on, "cheerful-mode".

rayousha--
I hear you--I LOVE to be a nurturer ,most of the time, but it would be nice to have the favor returned here and there. I've seen a lot of middle kids end up being the "responsible one" You are probably just wired for the responsiblity and leadership roles. Some folks love to shovel all the burdens right off on someone who knows how to step-up and do the right thing. It can totally suck...

freedom said:
i'm a man of many secrets, so the mask i hide behind is really more of a fake identity that i use to cover up my real life.

I can say the same thing.. but keeping secrets for a long time creates a sort of confusion :/ I can't even word my feelings lol

Nina said:
rayousha--
I hear you--I LOVE to be a nurturer ,most of the time, but it would be nice to have the favor returned here and there. I've seen a lot of middle kids end up being the "responsible one" You are probably just wired for the responsiblity and leadership roles. Some folks love to shovel all the burdens right off on someone who knows how to step-up and do the right thing. It can totally suck...

Exactly Nina...

Nina said:
I wonder if the rest of you folks hiding behind smiles experiece this: People naturallly assume that because you smile, you have nothing wrong in your life? I have a natural interest in folks in general but friends I always take a very deep stand with. As time passes you find that many of your friendships become very one-sided with you as the constant supporter and no one to support you...

Yep thats exactly what its like in my friendship groups, i wouldnt be surprised if they all think i am completely content and happy, i just hide behind my smiley mask all the time.

Dramaqueen--
I can agree with the confussion caused by secrets kept too long.

Asterli--
I am officially jealous of you! :)

ShybutHi--
You've found a fine group to share this with. Most of us have been hiding out behind the happiness or nuetral masks for a long while now. Welcome...

It does make it a little bit easier to contend with all of these masks if you find others who know what it's like.

EveWasFramed said:
*shrugs*
My husband is really quiet. I have the utmost repsect for him.

One too many kicks to the crotch will shut a man up pretty quick, Eve.

Nina said:
Jesse-
Do people ever mention they feel there is something behind your behavior? This might tell if they see your disconnection. If they don't then your mask is doing it's job. That's the good and bad news. Folks don't see the pain and judge you for it it. But you get lost from yourself from wearing the mask too long.

Laurens--
Another, "smiler" There seems to a be a lot of us. We use it I think, because it's so darned effective. Almost flawless. Folks see those white teeth and shining eyes and just assume the worlds a cupcake with a cherry on top for us... At least we're starting to, sort each other out, in here...That's good.

JamaisVu--
Your mask is just as painful. I think trying to be normal is the hardest. What is normal anyway? The scientific minds of our time can't even come to terms with it. So we end up trying to blend with those arounds us. Anytime we're not being us it hurts. But we get so use to the masks we actually lose the person behind it....

Wandering S--
Any of the masks can be sexy. You just need to bat you eyes a little more and *wink* here and there. ;) You can be the sexy "mask wearer" today....

Nobody ever mentions it Nina. I feel like they must know, but maybe they don't. I wish I didn't feel this way- I haven't always felt like this.

Latest posts

Back