what was the last movie you saw?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And Then There Were None (1945) From a youtube channel with lots of old movies. An adaptation of Agatha Christie's 1939 novel of the same name. There were several other versions of this film and other similar films, like The Glass Onion (2022).

View attachment 8568 View attachment 8571
View attachment 8570

I remember reading the book in 8th grade in Literature class. It was a good one! Very suspenseful, keeps you wondering "who done it". It was always fun when "schoolwork" turned out to not be "work" after all.

Return From The Ashes 1965 (from youtube channel of old movies) An expert chess player, Stanislaus Pilgrin (Maximilian Schell) is also an unrepentant cad and schemer. Looking for a way to inherit a fortune, Stanislaus marries Dr. Michele Wolf (Ingrid Thulin), a rich Jewish widow. Later, however, he becomes involved with his wife's stepdaughter, Fabienne (Samantha Eggar), resulting in a complicated web of seduction and deception that ends in murder.

One of the actresses was Talitha Getty, who was married to John Paul Getty Jnr, and died at 31. She had a son with JPG whose name was Tara Gabriel Galaxy Gramaphone Getty, believe it or not.

return from the ashes 1965.jpg return4.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Rope of Sand (1949) (from youtube channel of old movies) A safari guide returns for a stash of diamonds, as an African mining-syndicate boss knew he would. Lots of sand in this one lol. Claude Rains, Burt Lancaster, Paul Henried, Peter Lorre, Corrine Calvet. Good Drama.

Rope of Sand 1949.jpg Rope of Sand 1949 c.jpg

Most of the good horror movies are on stupid HBO..... Frying_Pan_On_Head.gif

MV5BMTIwMzc3NzgzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM0MzIyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Peeping Tom (link to film at archive.org) A 1960 British psychological horror-thriller film directed by Michael Powell, written by Leo Marks, and starring Carl Boehm, Anna Massey, and Moira Shearer. The film's controversial subject matter and its extremely harsh reception by critics had a severely negative impact on Powell's career as a director in the United Kingdom. However, it attracted a cult following, and in later years, it has been re-evaluated and is now widely considered a masterpiece, and a progenitor of the contemporary slasher film. I liked the quality and coloring of the film. Acting was a little average. I also like the retro gear, including the telephone system in the office lol

Peepeing Tom - 0.jpg Peepeing Tom - 4.jpg
Peepeing Tom - 2.jpg

Onibaba 鬼婆 1964 (link to film) classic Japanese film. Very watchable. Click on the CC to see the English subtitles. This to me is a horror drama film, although it's also been noted as a historical piece. Simple, fairly minimalistic, well filmed. I really enjoyed it. Supposedly set in the 15th century, and has references to Emperors warring, but you can't really tell and it could've easily been set in the late 1900's. The opening scene reminds me a little of a scene from the original Planet of the Apes. You'll see what I mean.

e43f9d44fd61f75810cc34989737c0b5.jpg

Bad Sister (1931) A young Bette Davis debuts in this films, as does Sidney Fox (who died at 34 from an overdose of sleeping pills) and there's also a young Humphrey Bogart in this one. The baby that appears in this film is still alive today aged 93. The film moves very smoothly, so I'm wondering if they used a different film speed to record it.

Last edited:
The Lineup (1958) Two policemen try their best to track down a gangster who uses the luggage of unsuspecting travellers to hide and retrieve drugs. Eli Wallach, Richard Jaeckel, Robert Keith. American film noir version of the police procedural television series of the same title that ran on CBS radio from 1950 until 1953, and on CBS television from 1954 until 1960. The film was directed by Don Siegel. It features a number of scenes shot on location in San Francisco during the late 1950s, including shots of the Embarcadero Freeway (then still under construction), the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park, the War Memorial Opera House, the Mark Hopkins Hotel, and Sutro Baths.

MEQ0NJW_o.jpg

It claims to be the true story of Peter Kurten but it's accuracy on Mr Kurten's background is not very
good and his crimes were much more numerous, varied and perverse than depicted here.
Still it is worthwhile.

Secret-Killer-The-1965-015-Bread-and-Work.jpg

Bread and Work

Secret-Killer-The-1965-041-Marie-France-Pisier-and-Robert-Hossein.jpg

Marie-France Pisier and Robert Hossein

MEQ0NM3_o.jpg

Incantation (2022)

There are not many horror movies that are inspired or influenced by Buddhism. Although the small handful of them that I know about, I've enjoyed.

Incantation requires you to understand about about Eastern mysticism and ancestral worship. So long as you understand those two things you'll be able to make sense of it.

The found footage style Taiwanese film is a bit of an attempt at an interactive found footage experience. There's also several subtle plays at subliminal disturbances. Nothing particularly terrifying as a single thing, but things that just make you uncomfortable to see such as certain angles a scene is shot in, or props and pieces that while not particularly abnormal or grotesque are, creepy and unsettling.

The film did indeed remind me of my interest in and wanting to learn throat-singing, mantras and mudras.

If you shuffled Paranormal Activity with Ringu/The Ring together and added in a dash of creepy oriental Asian folklore, you'd get Incantation.

There are indeed some genuinely sad parts to the film as well, which is something that you don't really see that often in horror flicks anymore but it does actually do a great deal to set tone to atmosphere and imply severity and sincerity so that the viewer is more drawn into the experience.

Had I sat down and watched this in one continual go, I also probably would have enjoyed it much more than I already did. Unfortunately I ended up watching it over the course of a couple nights which did break up the immersion a bit, but that's honestly entirely on me.

Latest posts

Back