Women - What completely turns you off?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trZ said:
I'm 6'4, not been very big on the stage myself. I wouldn't blame height just because you are short.

Height is a very important aspect for women, very important. The overwhelming majority of women will not consider dating a man who is shorter than them it is a complete deal-breaker. It takes nothing more than a quick google search to see what the opinion of short men is. Everything from anecdotal evidence to scholarly research shows that height significantly affects ones life.

I don't understand "feet"-height very well, just my own. But if the important part is being taller than the woman even the shortest guys should be able to find girls shorter than them. Most women are ridiculously short.

trZ said:
I don't understand "feet"-height very well, just my own. But if the important part is being taller than the woman even the shortest guys should be able to find girls shorter than them. Most women are ridiculously short.

I'm really short, about 5'7. I haven't met a girl so far who was shorter than me :(. Heck 25 years and not even one relationship. Well sometimes you can't just do anything about it. I do think that it's true, women prefer taller men

Women statistically prefer taller men, but its not a complete dealbreaker. Just because odds shift against you does not mean that they end all hopes beyond belief.

Successful thread hijack is successful. I am proud of myself.

chrisii said:
trZ said:

I'm really short, about 5'7. I haven't met a girl so far who was shorter than me :(. Heck 25 years and not even one relationship. Well sometimes you can't just do anything about it. I do think that it's true, women prefer taller men

It's really funny you say that. I'm 5'7" and I feel taller than every other girl I'm around. Most girls I know are between 5'0" and 5'5". I know lots of shorter guys, and I would absolutely date them if one were to ask me out.

IgnoredOne said:
Women statistically prefer taller men, but its not a complete dealbreaker. Just because odds shift against you does not mean that they end all hopes beyond belief.

Successful thread hijack is successful. I am proud of myself.

This is a thread about what completely turns off women. So I wouldn't call this a thread hijack, plus short men are mentioned in the first post of the thread; it does not count as a hijack if it is in the first post :)

Guys who are TOO attached to their mothers. I understand loving your mom and being close, but having to always be around or talk to her is another. Cut the cord.

Also, guys who listen to their friends ALL the time. I get advice from my friends too, but do I always follow EVERYthing they say? No. If you need some stupid sidekick to drag you through life's situations, then you need to seriously rethink your life.

nerdygirl said:
tangerinedream said:
In line with what septicemia mentioned, men who persistently emphasize how great or nice they are. To me it screams that they protest too much and have something to hide.

Ugh! I always turn away from dating profiles that say, "I'm a good man" or, "I'm a nice guy"... or worse, "I'm a good Christian". Actions are the most honest statements.

AFrozenSoul said:
I like how women love to mention the fine line in traits they want. That way one day you can be manly, and the next day you are controlling. Or one day you are confident, and the next you are arrogant. It allows them an easy out. Yet men are not allowed such things.

I disagree. Men often want women who are "strong" but who are not "bitches". There's also the line between "independent" and "cold". Then, there's the way other men want women who make them feel needed, but at the same time, the woman must not be "needy".

This actually a really good topic and exposes that most people are inconsistent about what they want. Some people need to start making their lists shorter and more realistic. You can't have a "strong" girl who is also demure when you wish her to be..you have to pick one and only one. That's the reality. Women, you can't realistically get the nice, stable guy who also has the bad boy intensity/excitement. You tend to only get one or the other. So just kind of settle on which one will work for you, people get hurt because they can't make up their mind. That's where cheating exists.

Someone mentioned height earlier, and I just have to speak up against this. I way prefer men my own height (5,6/168 cm) over the tall ones. But then, maybe I'm special.

A total turn-off is desperation and whining. The greatest turn-off for me, though, is actually smoking. That's a dealbreaker for me.

I don't really care about height...as long as they're my height at least..which isn't saying much since I'm only 5'2.

Anyways, turn-offs....mostly involve the guy's behavior. I'm sorry but you don't know everything, you're not the best looking person on this planet, nor are you funny, so quit acting like it :p. I just don't like guys who are full of themselves.

Like Nilla said, mommy boys....are a big ass turn off....just no. Smh.

I hate it when men don't take care of themselves...showering regularly, brushing teeth, etc. It's a deal breaker :p

Sterling said:
*removed* Fabricating quotes from members is not allowed and will result in disciplinary action

I am 5'7" and have gone out with tall men and short men. My first marriage was to a man taller than I, and he turned out to be a *******. My second marriage was to man who was shorter than I by three inches when he wore lifts, and he also turned out to be a *******. Personally speaking, I just prefer men who are not bastards. My two cents.

My turnoffs in regards to men:
1. being a *******, ha
2. trying too hard -- it makes me think the man has something to hide. That includes telling me what a nice guy he is. I'll find that out on my own, as the date progresses.
3. exhibiting me as a trophy to others -- very distasteful, makes me feel very uncomfortable
4. the type of attitude that "women are creatures from outer space, and then there are ordinary people." We are all people, we just happen to have different bits below (and above) the waist.
5. doing grand gestures in public where others can see, but in private ignoring when I obviously need help, such as struggling with boxes or bags. I am always wary of men who treat women "like queens" because overblown, exaggerated respect usually indicates that deep inside the man feels no respect for the woman at all.
6. talking bad about ex's -- I always wonder what her side of the story is, particularly if the man uses cliched words like "crazy" or "psycho" when describing said ex.
7. also this type of attitude: "Am I impressing you? Are you impressed? Great! Now let's f***." I am looking for a relationship that goes deeper than that. Unfortunately I don't think that very many men are looking for that same thing.

Can I call my ex crazy if she actually was crazy? Like... clinically diagnosed schizophrenia?

Limlim said:
Can I call my ex crazy if she actually was crazy? Like... clinically diagnosed schizophrenia?

I would say "Yes," but only as long as her brand of crazy weren't such that it would make her hunt you down and hurt you for calking her "crazy."

Make sense? :)

STERLING SAID THIS.

Sterling said:
I don't really care about height...as long as they're my height at least..which isn't saying much since I'm only 5'2.

Anyways, turn-offs....mostly involve the guy's behavior. I'm sorry but you don't know everything, you're not the best looking person on this planet, nor are you funny, so quit acting like it :p. I just don't like guys who are full of themselves.

Like Nilla said, mommy boys....are a big ass turn off....just no. Smh.

I hate it when men don't take care of themselves...showering regularly, brushing teeth, etc. It's a deal breaker :p

NOT THIS
goldenrod said:
Sterling said:
*removed* Fabricating quotes from members is not allowed and will result in disciplinary action

When women are young, they are turned off by nice guys. When they're older they wise up and are turned off by pricks. The few good women who never go for pricks.... now they're a mystery because they're just so lovely you can't figure out how to respond. My experience anyway, for whatever that is worth.

I haven't read this whole thread so I might be putting foot in mouth here but responding to the last reply and A LOT of replies written in others that I've read...

I really disagree with this woman go for bad men thing. Honestly. In my experience I've fallen for men while thinking they were nice and sweet and sensitive and I've cracked pavement over them. Only to discover with alarming speed and frequency that they are total gits...granted to different degrees. Then its tricky because you have feelings but they aren't who you thought. So you get over it. Eventually.

I would really doubt that I'm one of these few and far between women you aren't looking for "pricks" as you put it. Maybe the majority of women think like me?

I'm not gonna say what turns me off because this isn't loose women and I'm not colleen nolan...

goldenrod said:
5. doing grand gestures in public where others can see, but in private ignoring when I obviously need help, such as struggling with boxes or bags. I am always wary of men who treat women "like queens" because overblown, exaggerated respect usually indicates that deep inside the man feels no respect for the woman at all.

A very good point.

annik said:
I haven't read this whole thread so I might be putting foot in mouth here but responding to the last reply and A LOT of replies written in others that I've read...

I really disagree with this woman go for bad men thing. Honestly. In my experience I've fallen for men while thinking they were nice and sweet and sensitive and I've cracked pavement over them. Only to discover with alarming speed and frequency that they are total gits...granted to different degrees. Then its tricky because you have feelings but they aren't who you thought. So you get over it. Eventually.

I would really doubt that I'm one of these few and far between women you aren't looking for "pricks" as you put it. Maybe the majority of women think like me?

I'm not gonna say what turns me off because this isn't loose women and I'm not colleen nolan...

Not difficult to spot a prick. You know how often I've been the shoulder to cry on and how often I've seen lads mistreat girls only for them to run back time and time again despite the advances of "nice guys". I agree, in some cases, it is an honest mistake in discovering men are different than they used to be, but when women complain time and time again that every lad they've ever been with has treated them badly... well, forgive me for making the statement I did based on the statements of women themselves.

True but there's a difference between always ending up with bad men and actually going for that type. Of course some women do and some women do to the extreme. There's even a fetish that I can't remember the name of. I just think personally a lot of women would like a nice guy. Its just hard to tell which they are when so many can fake "nice guy" so well...

Latest posts

Back