Your Major?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I was a psychology major, I was a literary studies major. Just thought I'd point that out.

Solivagant said:
Mine were Psychology and English.

Now I'm studying Computer Science, because I can't get a job in Psychology or English, lol. Unfortunately I have absolutely no interest or skill with it. It doesn't fit me at all.

ugh sucks. I might have to go for another master, one that I dont like at all, just because of the lack of opportunities.

Slate said:
Garden Design
Oh that's different, I like that. Why didn't I do something like that ?
Why I didn't ask myself what I really wanted to do instead of following my friend ? Why are we being asked so young what we want to do ?
Where are my passions and ambitions ?! Why I am such a wimp ?!

Lacrecia said:
Solivagant said:
Mine were Psychology and English.

Now I'm studying Computer Science, because I can't get a job in Psychology or English, lol. Unfortunately I have absolutely no interest or skill with it. It doesn't fit me at all.

ugh sucks. I might have to go for another master, one that I dont like at all, just because of the lack of opportunities.

Yeah, I hear you both on this.

PS Lacrecia, I know this is a little off-topic but I keep wondering what your avatar is. Is it by chance a Miraluka from Star Wars? I could be wrong. Just couldn't help but notice.

Way back in the day, I was a double major, psychology and English literature.

Interesting that I'm not the only psych/English double major on this forum.

Cataplasme said:
Slate said:
Garden Design
Why I didn't ask myself what I really wanted to do instead of following my friend ? Why are we being asked so young what we want to do ?

I often ask myself this question - because I knew what I wanted to do (out of my interests then) when I was younger but that ambition was shot down by my parents and I had to follow what they wanted for me. Now I always feel like I'm getting too old to start anything new but I know that's just my unreasonable side talking.

If only society didn't have to make us decide so early when most of us barely know what we want to do with our lives or what we want out of it.

And don't beat yourself up, you're not a wimp for not knowing where your passions and ambitions are. Lots of us are just as clueless.... I know I was for a long time before deciding that I wanna do something in social work. Then again, sometimes I wonder if I'm deciding on this particularly because I can't think of anything else or better and that this seems to be the one thing that I might like doing. Still so many uncertainties...

I just graduated a few months ago. I was Performing Arts major (Theater Arts), though the Theater Department in my school was very weak. I was actually able to coordinate my own performance my final semester and that was pretty cool.

TheSkaFish said:
LonelySutton said:
Business Admin.

lonelyfairy said:
Business.

MissGuided said:
Business Admin

All of you that answered Business Administration, may I ask what jobs you wound up in, if you don't mind?

Did your major help you get any of the jobs you've had, or have all of your jobs been unrelated to your major?

One of the problems I have is that I don't know what a person can do with this major. Anyway, I just thought I'd pick your brains for some ideas, because I'm stumped.

I have mostly been secretary and I'm starting to think that this isn't my thing really... I graduated from vocational college in 2 years, LOL. Yes, it helped me to get the jobs I want, thought currently I'm unemployed. :/

ladyforsaken said:
Cataplasme said:
Slate said:
Garden Design

I often ask myself this question - because I knew what I wanted to do (out of my interests then) when I was younger but that ambition was shot down by my parents and I had to follow what they wanted for me. Now I always feel like I'm getting too old to start anything new but I know that's just my unreasonable side talking.

If only society didn't have to make us decide so early when most of us barely know what we want to do with our lives or what we want out of it.

And don't beat yourself up, you're not a wimp for not knowing where your passions and ambitions are. Lots of us are just as clueless.... I know I was for a long time before deciding that I wanna do something in social work. Then again, sometimes I wonder if I'm deciding on this particularly because I can't think of anything else or better and that this seems to be the one thing that I might like doing. Still so many uncertainties...
I think it's more sad that you actually had ambition and knew what you wanted to do and it was shut down by your parents. Maybe it is not too late for you if it is still what you would like to do !

I think of me as a wimp for being to scared and lazy to actually try things too... I should try, why do I have to over think everything ? What is the worst thing that could happen ?
I hope you will be able to have a job in social work like you seem to want to and I hope you will be happy in that ! I guess you won't know until it happens.

Cataplasme said:
ladyforsaken said:
Cataplasme said:
Slate said:
Garden Design

I think it's more sad that you actually had ambition and knew what you wanted to do and it was shut down by your parents. Maybe it is not too late for you if it is still what you would like to do !

I think of me as a wimp for being to scared and lazy to actually try things too... I should try, why do I have to over think everything ? What is the worst thing that could happen ?
I hope you will be able to have a job in social work like you seem to want to and I hope you will be happy in that ! I guess you won't know until it happens.

Yeah, I think you should give things a shot anyhow and see how it goes along the way. I think you'll do just fine if you have interest in what you're doing. I hope you'll manage to get started on something you'd like and be happy with it too. Sometimes when you think too much about it, you start doubting yourself and that only stops you from taking a step forward. Thanks for your kind words!

HoodedMonk said:
What did you want to do, LadyForsaken?

Journalism / Writing.

TESOL Diploma
BSc Psychology and a second major in Communications.
Postgrad Dip in Psychology

Rodent said:
English/American studies and Linguistics.

I probably would have chosen Linguistics as my second major instead of English, if my school had offered it.

Why did you opt out? (I can guess but I'm still going to ask.)

constant stranger said:
Interesting that I'm not the only psych/English double major on this forum.

It is curious, there seem to be several.

Solivagant said:
Why did you opt out? (I can guess but I'm still going to ask.)

I think I wrote that somewhere before, but I don't remember where...

In short, a blatant lack of interest and motivation for the theoretical nature of the subjects. Plus depression rising because of the studying environment...which was far from bad, just not my kinda thing. I'm not made for university life.

Latest posts

Back