Your Major?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doubled majored & minored in college... Forensic psychology & Photography for major, minored in graphic design...

Biological sciences. Currently doing a postgraduate part-time in something unrelated.

Rodent said:
In short, a blatant lack of interest and motivation for the theoretical nature of the subjects. Plus depression rising because of the studying environment...which was far from bad, just not my kinda thing. I'm not made for university life.

You probably mean the empty 'just passing through' feeling one gets on campus. Most people just turned up to lectures, left or went to a corner of the library. Pretty much non-existent student culture.

ardour said:
You probably mean the empty 'just passing through' feeling one gets on campus. Most people just turned up to lectures, left or went to a corner of the library. Pretty much non-existent student culture.

That concludes it pretty well. I assume these things happen mostly behind the scenes. You'd have to stay longer than three months to experience at least some of it and deliberate socializing would help. I only had interaction with a former school friend who shared some lectures with me and this new upbeat kinda guy who I had some casual chats with.

The university had a good rep, but whatever culture there was - I couldn't identify with it. If you don't play it right (and I did not), you'll wind up all alone.

ardour said:
Biological sciences. Currently doing a postgraduate part-time in something unrelated.

If you don't mind sharing, what is your postgraduate concentration and how did you choose it? Is it something you are doing just to make more money, , is it something you have more of an interest in doing, both, or something else?

Philology (German-English BA, PhD in German), European Studies (MA)

...hobby readings in other fields.

Electronics, practically every area of IT, many years ago.

TheSkaFish said:
ardour said:

If you don't mind sharing, what is your postgraduate concentration and how did you choose it? Is it something you are doing just to make more money, , is it something you have more of an interest in doing, both, or something else?

Didn't see your post. It's to do with IT in libraries, digital archives etc. It's by distance learning, part time; 1 paper each trimester. A lot of reading and report writing. Eventually they'll be a thesis proposal but I've yet to decide what on.

Suppose I'd have to say that it's mainly for career purposes, although I've certainly gained a lot in the process.

ardour said:
TheSkaFish said:
ardour said:

Didn't see your post. It's to do with IT in libraries, digital archives etc. It's by distance learning, part time; 1 paper each trimester. A lot of reading and report writing. Eventually they'll be a thesis proposal but I've yet to decide what on.

Suppose I'd have to say that it's mainly for career purposes, although I've certainly gained a lot in the process.

I have some friends who have done decently well in that same field you described: IT in libraries. Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back