Can men be friends with women?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only this to say.

"DOGS AND CATS....LIVING TOGETHER!......MASS HYSTERIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

bleed_the_freak said:
I love Steve Harvey.

I liked him too. When he was called Sinbad.

I'm a heterosexual guy. And my closest friends have generally been women.

I've had close male friends. Good men, but it's not the same. See, the thing is people freak out at male-female friendships. "Woah! No way! All that sexual tension!"

Nonsense.

The sexual tension is actually much, much worse with same gender friendships. People don't notice it though, because it is indirect. My male friends aren't trying to flirt with me, but hell are they COMPETITIVE. The endless competition wears me down. Women are the same. There is wisdom behind the saying: "women don't dress up for men. They dress up for other women."

If you can find a good cross-gender friendship, you'll know right away if there is nothing flirty behind it. And then you can truly relax. I love my female friends. They rock.

In my experience, that's a question to ask women, not men.
I still believe it can.

TheLoadedDog said:
I'm a heterosexual guy.   And my closest friends have generally been women.

I've had close male friends.  Good men, but it's not the same.  See, the thing is people freak out at male-female friendships.  "Woah!  No way!  All that sexual tension!"

Nonsense.

The sexual tension is actually much, much worse with same gender friendships.  People don't notice it though, because it is indirect.  My male friends aren't trying to flirt with me, but hell are they COMPETITIVE.  The endless competition wears me down.  Women are the same.   There is wisdom behind the saying:  "women don't dress up for men.  They dress up for other women."

If you can find a good cross-gender friendship, you'll know right away if there is nothing flirty behind it.  And then you can truly relax.  I love my female friends.  They rock.

If she said you could touch her with your wang, would you?

Seriously, no. I'd walk away. I am a hardarse like that.

I had a girlfriend years ago. She would ask me, "honey, what would you do if you came home and found me in bed with another man?"

Firstly, what the hell sort of question is that?

Anyway, I knew the answer that was expected of me: "WHY I'D TEAR OFF MY SHIRT, GO ALL HE-MAN NEANDERTHAL, RIP HIS HEAD OFF, AND POO DOWN THE HOLE IN HIS NECK!"

But I didn't.

I told her, "I'd shake his hand, and wish him good luck, because he's found himself a manipulative psycopath, and he's going to jolly well need good luck."

I am such an arsehole. No wonder we diddn't last.

TheLoadedDog said:
Seriously, no.  I'd walk away.  I am a hardarse like that.

I had a girlfriend years ago.  She would ask me, "honey, what would you do if you came home and found me in bed with another man?"

Firstly, what the hell sort of question is that?

Anyway, I knew the answer that was expected of me:  "WHY I'D TEAR OFF MY SHIRT, GO ALL HE-MAN NEANDERTHAL, RIP HIS HEAD OFF, AND POO DOWN THE HOLE IN HIS NECK!"

But I didn't.

I told her, "I'd shake his hand, and wish him good luck, because he's found himself a manipulative psycopath, and he's going to jolly well need good luck."

I am such an arsehole.  No wonder we diddn't last.

Yeah but that look on their faces, though...
Come on. You tell me it wasn't worth it ;-)
Oh, we didn't last either. lol

bleed_the_freak said:

Do you think dudes would want to fresia any female friend if they said they wanted? Even the ugly ones?

bleed_the_freak said:

The question assumes men are only friends with women they’re attracted to.

TheLoadedDog, I want to hear more of your anecdotes.

I'm not sure I can give anecdotes on demand. I kinda freeze up in those situations. But hang around, and I'll dribble some out as they happen. I do have a good line in Kiwi jokes though.... ;)

DarkSelene said:
bleed_the_freak said:

Do you think dudes would want to fresia any female friend if they said they wanted? Even the ugly ones?

My question had no presuppositions. I just wondered if he would get sexual with her if she made a move.

ardour said:
bleed_the_freak said:

The question assumes men are only friends with women they’re attracted to.

Did it?

#QuestionBegging

kamya said:
DarkSelene said:
bleed_the_freak said:

Pfft, all women are beautiful of course!  :p

This is not "objectively" true.
However, considering the subjectivity of beauty, your point stands.
;-)

I just want to add that the only logical and inevitable answer of the thread is, has been and always will be the same, with all the ambiguities it entails;

"Maybe".

Some do. Some don't. Some always have, some never will.

The answer, like the question, is subjective and to be answered on an individual basis depending on the education, behavior, psyche, values and/or priorities of individual males or females, in equal parts.

Some guys will jump the bones of the first woman who shows them thigh. Some girls will automatically jump some men at the first sign of chesthair.
Some men and women have been best friends, platonic, practically in love on a spiritual level, for decades until their respective deaths.

DarkSelene said:
So your answer is no?

I'm not putting forth a theory. I am asking an individual a question. ;)

(Unlike many around here, I try not to make claims or assertions without researching and knowing the truth first. So I'm not dodging your question. I'm just not going to foolishly make a claim and then be wrong.)

Latest posts

Back