quotes...sayings....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ss7 said:
Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat is a strange mixture of introspection, love, hedonism, bitter-sweet loss, despair, fatalism, and outright nihilism. Many moods of the poet, I suppose.

Is he Sufi?

I don't believe he identified himself as such. Didn't have much use for Sufism's devotional traditions, I think. He was quite the naturalist.

Apropos of nothing... Khayyam wrote in Farsi. Hindi (which I speak and write) is chock-full of Farsi words. The weird result is that the couple of times that I have listened to Khayyam's stuff in the original Farsi, it has sounded so strangely foreign, yet so very familiar. It's like listening to something that is just outside the borders of your understanding. You can smell the beast, but you can't see it. I get all weirded out.

I don't know how to explain it better. Maybe it's like this: If a native English speaker had some understanding of Latin root words, but didn't actually study it; and then he hears a chant or something in Latin that he almost groks.

Don't know if that made sense.

Marriage is a great institution for those who like institutions.
Thomas Dewar

Another one I saw on a liquor commercial go figure:p

I found this poem in a pretty unlikely place, but liked it well enough. Simple and nice.

So as you shiver in the cold and the dark,
Look into the fire and see in its spark --
My eye
Watching over you.

As you walk in the wind's whistling claws,
Listen past the howling of the wolf's jaws.
My song
Comes to you.

And when you're lost in trackless snow,
Look up high where the eagles go.
My star
Shines for you.

In deep, dark mine or on crumbling peak,
Hear the words of love I speak.
My thoughts
Are with you.

You are not forsaken
You are not forgotten.
The North cannot swallow you,
The snows cannot bury you.
I will come for you.
Faerûn will grow warmer,
And the gods will smile
But oh, my love, guard yourself well --
All this may not happen for a long, long while.

“And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”
-Abraham Lincoln

“Little by little one walks far”
-Peruvian Proverb

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
-Lao Tzu

“Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.”
-Pamela Vaull Starr

(I love that... "reach high, for the stars lie hidden in your soul...")

“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

Sun Tzu has a brilliant collaboration of timeless tactics, fundamentals, values, and philosophies... I should read it through again thanks for reminding me.

~How can you face the problem if the problem is your face.

~My wish before i die is to dig a big hole for me to lie not in the ground but in your heart so that our friendship will never part.

~When I was a baby, i was afraid to lose my mommy, when i was a kid, i was afraid of losin gmy toys, but now i grew up and met you, my fears grew bigger and now im afraid of lossing you.

~I don't need cocaine coz ur kiss is enough to drive me insane, no matter how it makes me hgih, ypur the only one who makes me fly. No way out can't get through, im so freaken addicted to you.

~My biggest reward is to see you smile, know your happy, feel you are loved... Life is sometimes cruel and that's why I am here.. to show you that life can be good when somebody cares.

it is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more

Dumbledore book 6

such a wise man

People are like stained glass windows, they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when darkness sets in, their true beauty is only seen if there is a light within.

-Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

"Not only is life a *****, but it is always having puppies." --Adrienne Gusoff

I like that one

foolish decisions are not made by fools, foolish decisions are made out of ignorance to the truth

-an old friend

when life gives you lemons, throw them at mean people and hope it gets in their eyes

The wisest thing one can do is learn from the wisdom of others.

Great men never act like they are one.

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something.

-Henry David Thoreau

Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Latest posts

Back