ugly --> less ugly

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any advice or tips on how I can make myself less ugly?
I was born with this ugly face and I don't want it anymore!
I can't afford cosmetic surgery but maybe I should save up..
I'm looking for something permanent, and not just a cover-up.
Lastly I should say, this isn't for someone else/other people.
It's something I want to do for me... my self-esteem is so f*cked up
it would just give me the boost in confidence I need.
I remember joking about lighting my face on fire so I wouldn't have this face anymore, it was funny at the time.. I am considering it now

Do you suffer from severe body dysmorphia? Do people tell you, you look good but don't believe them or something?

Well I've never seen you but you could always go to a glamour shots shop and they'll doll you up and enhance the photos they take.

Hmm well hard to say. I think good application of makeup can help anyone. Really it is all about presentation. If you feel your face is ugly dress in such a manner as to draw attention to your body.

I can share your sentiment about hating your face. That is one reason I am working on my body. I figure if that is sexy my face will be less obvious.

One exercise I was told to do was to look in the mirror and say I am sexy every day. You know tell myself something until I believe it.

I've had to struggle with body image since I was a child - it's an on-going battle that can be won. Improving your self-esteem may be difficult, but not impossible.

Suggestions:

1 - Part 1) Stay away from cosmetic surgery if at all possible.
I have been aiming towards having plastic surgery since I was 13 or so and have already consulted with cosmetic surgeons. If you do further research, there are all sorts of disaster/ unhappy stories - even with the best doctors. You will see many patients stating: "Had I known I would have ended up like this, I would have been happy with what I had." With so many factors involved in cosmetic surgery, you're essentially gambling with your face/ body.

1 - Part 2) Body Dysmorphic Disorder/ Unrealistic Expectations
I am not diagnosing you, but this might be something to look into. These are two threads I posted a while ago with articles and videos of people with BDD:

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=10117&pid=174528&highlight=body+dys#pid174528

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=10118&highlight=body+dys

For a while, I felt that I was looking back at a monster every time I looked in the mirror. My low self-esteem impaired my ability to "be seen" in public places etc. I find that learning of other people's situations helps me find perspective in mine. Perhaps it may help you too.

2) Healthier habits.
What helped my self-esteem the most was getting into shape by exercise and eating well. I'm not suggesting that you need to lose weight, but rather that it helps to be more active.
Eat better and you'll feel a lot more productive and cleaner.
To help keep me motivated, I joined a weight loss forum, looked at people's before and after photos, kept a food diary and I was able to lose approximately 15+ pounds in two months and have kept it off for 4 years.

3) Grooming
Learning to take better care of my hair (don't heat/ straighten it to death) and also learning to apply simple make-up has helped me in building a positive body-image and self-esteem. It's important though that you do not wear it as a mask or become dependent on it. It's moreso to help you enhance your features. Don't say that there's nothing good for you to enhance - you might be surprised if you just look a little closer.

4) Hobbies/ Career
Make sure to also invest your time in your interests and talents. I have met people who are very fit etc, and all they do is worry and work on their appearance. It's very off-putting and not healthy.

5) Reach out to People
For some people, having a family member, friend, counselor etc to talk to helps. For me, I reached out to the people here and it has helped me learn a lot about myself.

FINAL) I'm sure that there is a lot more you can do to help you feel better about yourself. This is all I can think of that the moment, but if you have any questions or would like to talk, you can post here or PM me. I hope this helps. You gotta try...doing nothing helps no one. I learnt that the hard way.

i feel exacly like you girl or guy .i hate the mirrors too .some time i feel hiding my room where no one can see me.

Im so sorry you feel this way. I can totally relate. I have always felt like a hideous troll even though things in my life have pointed towards that I am not , I just cant beilve it.

Luna had some very great tips. It also does not help if you look at fashion magazines. Work on your beauty first from the inside. No junk food, white sugar, soft drinks etc. Foods really contribute to our moods and how we feel about everthing.

You need to seek out a good counselor/therapist. It is impossible to say what it is that makes you feel you are ugly. The fact is it may only be you that sees you that way. If the reverse is true... If you are - by warped societal standards - not as aesthetically pleasing as others, then you are in very fine company.

Peter Lorre
Boris Karloff
Lon Chaney
Joan Cusack
Clint Howard
Steve Buscemi
Willem Dafoe
Don Knotts
Danny de Vito
Gary Busey
Mickey Rourke
Linda Hunt
Andy Griffith (those huge flappy ears!)
and many many many more have done perfectly well, thank you, with their looks.

Truly.... Really and truly.... The kind that revere external appearances are the kind that live in a vacuum, and the kind you do not want in your life. The most beautiful person in the world is the person you meet each day in the mirror. Take a look... Take a good long look... You might be surprised at what you see when you look deep into that image.

Alaric said:
You need to seek out a good counselor/therapist. It is impossible to say what it is that makes you feel you are ugly. The fact is it may only be you that sees you that way. If the reverse is true... If you are - by warped societal standards - not as aesthetically pleasing as others, then you are in very fine company.

Peter Lorre
Boris Karloff
Lon Chaney
Joan Cusack
Clint Howard
Steve Buscemi
Willem Dafoe
Don Knotts
Danny de Vito
Gary Busey
Mickey Rourke
Linda Hunt

Truly.... Really and truly.... The kind that revere external appearances are the kind that live in a vacuum, and the kind you do not want in your life. The most beautiful person in the world is the person you meet each day in the mirror. Take a look... Take a good long look... You might be surprised at what you see when you look deep into that image.

Did you mean the actor or the member? lol

Trojan said:
Alaric said:

Peter Lorre
Boris Karloff
Lon Chaney
Joan Cusack
Clint Howard
Steve Buscemi
Willem Dafoe
Don Knotts
Danny de Vito
Gary Busey
Mickey Rourke
Linda Hunt

Did you mean the actor or the member? lol

The point was for the member to see that ugliness is something unique to each beholder. Many people have done well in this world with looks that were outside what most people consider aesthetically pleasing. Take a look at Lyle Lovett. He may not be handsome by most standards, but he sure is a beautiful man.

I find that the easiest parts to fix one up in terms of appearance (that are within your control) are:

1. Buy some new tasteful clothes (shirt/tie for guys, don't know about women)
2. Brush your teeth and clean your tongue
3. Pay attention to your hair
4. New pair of shoes
5. Smile

If you have weight related issue, attempt to eat less (I bloated by nearly 10kg when I was overseas and lose all those extra weight by just having yogurt and coffee for lunch for the next month) and join in the gym

There are some things that you can't change, but there are plenty you can do also.

Latest posts

Back