What documentary are you watching?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia.
I'm real close to having diabety, if I don't take care of my health..that's what I'll develope.
If I don't watch my diet..my blood sugar will drop.

I've experinced many, many low bloode sugar level drop in my life.
And it feels like you're going to die or have a heart attack and die.

The last time I had a major attack I almost freaken died. My co-workers had to take evasive attactions
becuase I went into shock and almost fainted. If no one was around, I probably would had.

I've develope this conditions DECADES AGO.
Better eating habits had NOT CURED me of this condition.
I live it and EXPEINCE IT EVERYDAY. It's a life and death matter.

Once of my friend has diabety. She stopped taking her medician for a couple of weeks.
She freaken went bonkers and started acting very eratic. She thought she was having all kinds of living crisis.
She finally went to the doctor. It was becuase she wasn't taking her daitbety medication....errr!!!

I'm not going to put my life at risk..just becuase somebody post a link on a forum making whatever claims.

Thats why one of my friend's wife DIED LAST WEEK...Her blood suger level was way, way too high.

Jack Kerouac said:
Then you have to suspect it's possibly some new age fake con program like The Secret. There's lots of money to be made in non scientific health programs, and just because a program makes claims that go against the consumerist culture doesn't mean that the program itself is not a part of the consumerist culture itself, meant mainly to make money or spread false beliefs.

How can they make any money, except off sales of the film itself? There is no special program outside just teaching people how to eat properly. There is no profit to be made. Their point is to show people why they have diabetes in the first place and that by giving the body what it needs, the bodies cells can actually regenerate. Most people have no idea how badly they eat.

Were is the scientific evidence from credible peer reviewed journals that shows a statistical significance between eating raw foods for 30 days and reversing diabetes? What are the long term effects of this kind of practice?

The proof is in the fact that it works. How do I explain that mainstream medicine does not offer such things, because there is no money in it? Doctors are part of a business practice that is very controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. Doctors are not trained in nutrition or how to make people healthy. They are trained in treating disease. Which is totally different, then making someone healthy.

The pharmaceutical industry flat out does not really like nutrition, as it cuts into their profits. The pharmaceutical industry has a lot of pull over how doctors are trained. Which affects how they practice medicine and what they believe. This is why many doctors who are really good find some of this stuff out along the way and go sort of rogue. I have read many books by such people. They learn from patients, or by asking the right questions themselves, that they can do more to help people by stepping outside of what is standard. There has been a war going on between nutrition and mainstream medicine for decades. What I am saying here is exactly why. It isn’t that nutrition isn’t powerful. It is that it undercuts the pharmaceutical industries profit potential and at least a few of the businessmen/women who run the business likely know it. Doctors take the pharmaceutical industries side, because they quite simply know almost nothing about nutrition.

There are 0 long term effects. This is how man used to eat and is intended to eat. I would assume that with most people on their own they would have a hard time doing this at first and so it would take longer then 30 days. It is also something that you have to continue to do. Has to be viewed as a lifestyle, more then a treatment. It isn’t something that is easy or for everyone.

There will never be cures for cancer or things like that coming out of the pharmaceutical companies. They aren’t interested in anything that can’t make them a lot of money. Even if you can easily treat an illness, they would never tell you. If you knew, then it cuts into their potential profit. And if you think this isn’t true. I would ask why? Do you think they would announce this? You think they would ever admit? It is a fact of life in our capitalistic world today. It is what happens in capitalistically run medicine. If the world did things differently, then our world would be very different. Cancer could flat out be reduced to almost never happening, if we went after the causes of cancer. Cancer is caused mainly by man-made pollution, which we know what a whole bunch of the causes are, but with the way things work, it isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

Just because somebody wrote a book doesn't mean it is true, and 6 case studies is in no way a scientific experiment.

But a book and a documentary are two different things. Unless you assume that it is faked? From everything I know, I believe as they portray, it is a true story that was recorded as it played out. So where is the gimmick? The problem isn't science. The problem is people eat horribly and make excuses that it doesn't matter. Generally even those who think they are eating well, are not. Diabetes, is as many nutritionists have been saying for years, the result of a poor diet. The average doctor can’t even tell you this, because he doesn’t know and thus doesn’t believe it. Has no experience in it, no training, so how can he know? Which another part of the problem is that people want to believe they can just eat however they want and there is no price to pay. There is a huge price to pay.

And especially if Oprah is pushing it you have to expect it to have a high likelyhood of being false information marketed towards the new ager crowd that she sells most of her products to.

You have something against Oprah?

These are all really important things to consider before taking the video at face value in my opinion.

Let me explain a few things. They are not recommending that people go cold turkey off of insulin, but rather monitor how much they need and reduce their insulin as the body recovers. They recommend showing the video to your doctor, so he knows what you’re doing, and to use common sense when doing this. Most likely your doctor won’t believe it, but you can still go ahead as long as you monitor your blood sugar and use your head. Diabetes is not some miss understood disease that people can’t monitor.

Skorian said:
How can they make any money, except off sales of the film itself? There is no special program outside just teaching people how to eat properly. There is no profit to be made. Their point is to show people why they have diabetes in the first place and that by giving the body what it needs the bodies cells can actually regenerate. Most people have no idea how badly they eat.

Making money off of the film IS a way to make money- people who make films or write books about alternative health tend to keep making new ones because they then have a built in audience to keep selling to. That's typically the strategy of new age health writers.

But they can make money off of things such as the retreat area the people in the movie went to where they were fed meals. The video is essentially an advertisement for it. That's another possibility.

The proof is in the fact that it works.

You have no scientific evidence to suggest it works.

How do I explain that mainstream medicine does not offer such things, because there is no money in it? Doctors are part of a business practice that is very controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. Doctors are not trained in nutrition or how to make people healthy. They are trained in treating disease. Which is totally different then making someone healthy. The pharmaceutical industry flat out does not really like nutrition as it cuts into their profits.

That's still not scientific evidence.

There are 0 long term effects. This is how man used to eat and is intended to eat. I would assume that with most people on their own they would have a hard time doing this at first and so it would take longer then 30 days. It is also something that you have to continue to do. Has to be viewed as a lifestyle, more then a treatment. It isn’t something that is easy or for everyone.

You didn't show scientific evidence of long term effects.

There will never be cures for cancer or things like that coming out of the pharmaceutical companies. They aren’t interested in anything that can’t make them a lot of money. Even if you can easily treat an illness, they would never tell you. If you knew, then it cuts into their potential profit. And if you think this isn’t true. I would ask why? Do you think they would announce this? You think they would ever admit? It is a fact of life in our capitalistic world today. It is what happens in capitalistically run medicine. If the world did things differently, then our world would be very different. Cancer could flat out be reduced to almost never happening, if we went after the causes of cancer. Cancer is caused mainly by man-made pollution, which we know what a whole bunch of the causes are, but with the way things work, it isn’t going to happen anytime soon.[/color]

That's great and all, but you still haven't given scientific evidence to support the hypothesis that eating raw foods reverses diabetes. Pharmaceutical companies are not the only people doing research. There is no reason the people making the video cannot conduct scientific experiments to test their hypothesis.

But a book and a documentary are two different things.

Typical books or documentaries are not held up to any kind of professional or scientific standards. They can make up any kinds of lies they want or misrepresent truth to whatever they want you to believe, depending on who publishes them. Whether or not such a thing is published tends to depend on the marketability of the idea- things that people want to believe are going to be very sellable and so they will get published even if they are not true.

Unless you assume that it is faked? From everything I know, I believe as they portray, it is a true story that was recorded. So where is the gimmick? The problem isn't science. The problem is people eat horribly and make excuses that it doesn't matter. Generally even those who think they are eating well, are not. Dubieties, is as many nutritionists have been saying for years, the result of a poor diet.[/color],

That's great, but there is still no scientific evidence to support the hypothesis that eating raw foods for 30 days will reverse diabetes that I have seen. If you have some please let us know.

You have something against Oprah?

Yes- Oprah sells a ton of new age quackery and psuedoscience to gullable people and makes a crap load of cash from it. She's about as big of a con artist as it gets. She sells nonsense like "The Secret" and other touchy feely things that people want to hear but are not true.

She's probably one of the last people you should trust and makes a killing selling things that have no scientific merrit but which claim to be hidden truths.

Let me explain a few things. They are not recommending that people go cold turkey off of insulin, but rather monitor how much they need and reduce their insulin as the body recovers. They recommend showing the video to your doctor, so he knows what you’re doing, and to use common sense when doing this. Most likely your doctor won’t believe it, but you can still go ahead as long as you monitor your blood sugar and use your head. Diabetes is not some miss understood disease that people can’t monitor.

Telling somebody you can show a video to your doctor is not going to make up for the fact that nobody has given any scientific research to support the main hypothesis of the video.

If the hypothesis is correct, then let's see some studies done on it, and then let us make sure the methods are up to professional standards, and that the result is statistically significant.

Then it would make sense to discuss this. But if nobody wants to do professional scientific research, then all we have are a lot of claims that we cannot fully trust. That's a common theme in the world of alternative health.

Obviously we know that diet and weight are important in preventing diabetes, but if somebody is going to claim something specific like they can reverse it with raw foods, we need to see scientific research, and not a nonscientific documentary possibly made by Oprah with potentially hidden objectives.

Oh for crying out loud, I just looked at the official website and a bunch of the "experts" are spiritual leaders and motivational speakers and hippies, many of which have something to gain from adverstising their other products by their association with this movie. Throw in a couple doctors who also wrote some books they want to sell instead of links to scientific research they conducted on the subject, and you've got yourself an effective money maker!

http://www.rawfor30days.com/experts.html

"Gabriel Cousens, is a holistic physician, medical researcher, world-recognized live-food nutritionist, psychiatrist, homeopath, acupuncturist, Ayurvedic practitioner, detoxification fasting, ecological leader, Reiki master, internationally celebrated spiritual teacher, author, lecturer, and world peaceworker."

"Dr. Michael Beckwith’s life is a living testament to building spiritual community. In the 1970’s he began an inward journey into the teachings of East and West, and today teaches universal truth principles found in the New Thought-Ancient Wisdom tradition. Gifted with a vision of a trans-denominational spiritual community, in 1986 he founded the Agape International Spiritual Center upon his faith in that original vision."

"What began as a young person’s desire to help individuals transform the quality of their lives has grown into Robbins’ lifelong crusade as he is called on by leaders from every walk of life—presidents, political leaders, advocates for humanity, CEOs of multinational corporations, psychologists, peak performance athletes, world-class entertainers, teachers, and parents. Since fathering the life coaching industry, Robbins has produced the #1-selling audio coaching system of all time. He also is an international best-selling author, award-winning speaker, corporate Vice Chairman, and Chairman overseeing five private companies."

"David Wolfe is the author of the bestselling books Eating for Beauty, The Sunfood Diet Success System and his newest release, Naked Chocolate. He is supported in his nutrition mission by Sunfood Nutrition™ (www.sunfood.com) the world's largest distributor of books, juicers, audio/videotapes, organic beauty products, bulk organic foods, and exotic raw foods to assist people in adopting, maintaining, and enjoying plant-food-based lifestyles."

I'm fully convinced it is a load of crap now.

Anytime somebody "spiritual" is involved in a program saying that it has medical health advice, you know it's just a bunch of nonsense to make money. This is the old snake oil trick that is used by all spiritual leaders, and even the medical "experts" involved seem to have their own books and services for sale.

Yep, I smell advertisement and money and spiritual nonsense. Just as I expected.

Jesse said:
I'm just disgusted by my fatness and am ready to lose weight. Do you happen to know how fast of weightloss I can have and it still be healthy? Like 2 pounds a day isn't healthy right?

Typically if you are losing more than 2 pounds a week, you are shedding a ton of muscle along with the fat. You do NOT want to be doing that.

Jack Kerouac said:
You have no scientific evidence to suggest it works.

You just entered into a circular argument. There is no excuse to not try, there is evidence. There are studies. However the industries that back such studies do not have the same advertising dollars, just like you rarely see small family farms advertising for the same reason. I am by no means advocating people jump blindly and just trust me. I think people should educate themselves on nutrition and how it works. There is scientific evidence, but I am not going to go on a hunt simply because you want to disbelieve.

That's still not scientific evidence.

Oh really?

You didn't show scientific evidence of long term effects.

This thread is about a documentary. Not studies. I offer up the documentary itself though as evidence.

That's great and all, but you still haven't given scientific evidence to support the hypothesis that eating raw foods reverses diabetes. Pharmaceutical companies are not the only people doing research. There is no reason the people making the video cannot conduct scientific experiments to test their hypothesis.

You have no clue what your talking about.

That's great, but there is still no scientific evidence to support the hypothesis that eating raw foods for 30 days will reverse diabetes that I have seen. If you have some please let us know.

Well in this case. Taking the assumption that everyone in the video is real and that this simply recorded an event, then the video is evidence itself. Having not even watched it. You don't even know what you’re talking about.

Yes- Oprah sells a ton of new age quackery and psuedoscience to gullable people and makes a crap load of cash from it. She's about as big of a con artist as it gets. She sells nonsense like "The Secret" and other touchy feely things that people want to hear but are not true.

She's probably one of the last people you should trust and makes a killing selling things that have no scientific merrit but which claim to be hidden truths.

*rolls eyes*

Telling somebody you can show a video to your doctor is not going to make up for the fact that nobody has given any scientific research to support the main hypothesis of the video.

If the hypothesis is correct, then let's see some studies done on it, and then let us make sure the methods are up to professional standards, and that the result is statistically significant.

Then it would make sense to discuss this. But if nobody wants to do professional scientific research, then all we have are a lot of claims that we cannot fully trust. That's a common theme in the world of alternative health.

Obviously we know that diet and weight are important in preventing diabetes, but if somebody is going to claim something specific like they can reverse it with raw foods, we need to see scientific research, and not a nonscientific documentary possibly made by Oprah with potentially hidden objectives.

So your assuming that the video is faked? What happens if it isn't? There are plenty of studies, but I am not an expert at pulling studies out of my rear.

I will not claim that all alternative health is legit, but then many things are legit.

As far as sales of things are concerned. Does anyone "have" to buy anything from them? No. Unless your saying that the only food on the planet comes from them?

Oh for crying out loud, I just looked at the official website and a bunch of the "experts" are spiritual leaders and motivational speakers and hippies, many of which have something to gain from adverstising their other products by their association with this movie. Throw in a couple doctors who also wrote some books they want to sell instead of links to scientific research they conducted on the subject, and you've got yourself an effective money maker!

Is anyone required to buy their products? Is the act of selling something alone always wrong or does it depend on how it is done? Do they have a product they are trying to sell that you can "only" get through them? Other then maybe a dvd, though you don't really have to buy that either. I can tell you flat out that they do not advertise in this video.

http://www.rawfor30days.com/experts.html

"Gabriel Cousens, is a holistic physician, medical researcher, world-recognized live-food nutritionist, psychiatrist, homeopath, acupuncturist, Ayurvedic practitioner, detoxification fasting, ecological leader, Reiki master, internationally celebrated spiritual teacher, author, lecturer, and world peaceworker."

"Dr. Michael Beckwith’s life is a living testament to building spiritual community. In the 1970’s he began an inward journey into the teachings of East and West, and today teaches universal truth principles found in the New Thought-Ancient Wisdom tradition. Gifted with a vision of a trans-denominational spiritual community, in 1986 he founded the Agape International Spiritual Center upon his faith in that original vision."

"What began as a young person’s desire to help individuals transform the quality of their lives has grown into Robbins’ lifelong crusade as he is called on by leaders from every walk of life—presidents, political leaders, advocates for humanity, CEOs of multinational corporations, psychologists, peak performance athletes, world-class entertainers, teachers, and parents. Since fathering the life coaching industry, Robbins has produced the #1-selling audio coaching system of all time. He also is an international best-selling author, award-winning speaker, corporate Vice Chairman, and Chairman overseeing five private companies."

"David Wolfe is the author of the bestselling books Eating for Beauty, The Sunfood Diet Success System and his newest release, Naked Chocolate. He is supported in his nutrition mission by Sunfood Nutrition™ (www.sunfood.com) the world's largest distributor of books, juicers, audio/videotapes, organic beauty products, bulk organic foods, and exotic raw foods to assist people in adopting, maintaining, and enjoying plant-food-based lifestyles."

I'm fully convinced it is a load of crap now.

That is your own choice. You can't say that you aren't bias and close minded.

Anytime somebody "spiritual" is involved in a program saying that it has medical health advice, you know it's just a bunch of nonsense to make money. This is the old snake oil trick that is used by all spiritual leaders, and even the medical "experts" involved seem to have their own books and services for sale.

What are you talking about? You mean the fact that they are all very smart, highly educated, and successful?

Spirituality does not even mean religion or god. Yoga is a form of spirituality. It is simply a word that has many meanings. I think you are rather paranoid.

Yep, I smell advertisement and money and spiritual nonsense. Just as I expected.

I will say again. Do you have to buy anything from them to eat healthy? Other then healthy food? Do they have a monopoly on it? Just because someone sells something doesn't make them corrupt. According to your logic, every buisness on the planet must be evil?

Jack Kerouac said:
Jesse said:
I'm just disgusted by my fatness and am ready to lose weight. Do you happen to know how fast of weightloss I can have and it still be healthy? Like 2 pounds a day isn't healthy right?

Typically if you are losing more than 2 pounds a week, you are shedding a ton of muscle along with the fat. You do NOT want to be doing that.
This statement is made upon the assumption that you are doing a starvation diet. Which means you wouldn't be getting enough calories and protein to maintain your muscle. Which is exactly why not eating to lose weight is a bad idea. When people don't eat to lose weight they lose muscle, muscle is our number one fat burner, and then when they quit the diet, put on more fat then they had to begin with.

In fact, if you eat a healthy diet and lift weights, that is a very effective way to lose it. Of course if you struggle to have the energy to lift, then eating healthy for a while can help you get the energy needed to do weight training.

It is better to use a means to measure your fat and to not go by your weight. Muscle is more dense and thus heavier then fat.

Well, considering what he says actually makes sense and isn't just OMG I LIKE SAW THIS ON A DOCUMENTARY WITH OPRAH SO IT MUST BE TRUE AND ALL THE EXPERTS AND DOCTORS ARE WRONG BECAUSE *edited for content* and repeating it other and other again until ppl are gets bored, I thinks it are be no Skorian, it are be no.

Lonesome Crow said:
I'm real close to having diabety, if I don't take care of my health..that's what I'll develope.

Which is why learning more about things like this video is so important. There is SOOO much information out there.

The last time I had a major attack I almost freaken died. My co-workers had to take evasive attactions
becuase I went into shock and almost fainted. If no one was around, I probably would had.

The first thing that comes to my mind is what did you eat and what was in it?

What do you consider better eating habits? You have to understand that this issue is more complicated then you might think. Simply eating veggies won't even have the same effect as raw veggies. Try a juice machine and drink lots of different vegetables. But get a few books and educate yourself first. Neither I, nor this video can take the place of actually taking the time to learn. This video is merely an introduction to the topic.

One topic you should take the time to learn about is enzymes. Enzymes only exist in fresh produce. Once you cook it all the enzymes die. Cooking also damages a host of other things.

No one is saying blood sugar shouldn't be closely monitored. Of course one problem with this video is that anyone can run out and mess themselves up because they don’t know what they are doing. I am not advocating rash decisions.

Once of my friend has diabety. She stopped taking her medician for a couple of weeks.
She freaken went bonkers and started acting very eratic. She thought she was having all kinds of living crisis.
She finally went to the doctor. It was becuase she wasn't taking her daitbety medication....errr!!!

Well ya, who would argue that what she did was smart?

I'm not going to put my life at risk..just becuase somebody post a link on a forum making whatever claims.

Thats why one of my friend's wife DIED LAST WEEK...Her blood suger level was way, way too high.

And this video gives an introduction on how to bring it down without the need of insulin shots, but does not make the claim that you should let blood sugar run wild. No one is making that claim.

I am turning my post blocking back on.
I do have concern with those who are mentally unbalanced running off and not knowing what they are doing. I wouldn't know what to say there. Many people are not well enough to do this right and may be dependant on a doctor who has no education in how to do it. In these instances, you are simply stuck.

Skorian said:
Lonesome Crow said:

Which is why learning more about things like this video is so important. There is SOOO much information out there.

The first thing that comes to my mind is what did you eat and what was in it?

What do you consider better eating habits? You have to understand that this issue is more complicated then you might think. Simply eating veggies won't even have the same effect as raw veggies. Try a juice machine and drink lots of different vegetables. But get a few books and educate yourself first. Neither I, nor this video can take the place of actually taking the time to learn. This video is merely an introduction really to the topic.

One topic you should take the time to learn about is enzymes. Enzymes only exist in fresh produce. Once you cook it all the enzymes die. Cooking also damaged a host of other things. No one is saying blood sugar shouldn't be monitored.

Well ya, who would argue that what she did was smart?

And this video gives an introduction on how to bring it down without the need of insulin shots, but does not make the claim that you should let blood sugar run wild. No one is making that claim.

I am turning my post blocking back on.

Roflmao.....

Poeple that have daibeties or when thier bloode suger level gose
hay wire don't make the best of decisions.
Something about glucose that the brain needs rather rather.
It dosn't take a genius to figure that out.

One topic you should take the time to practice is spiritaulality.
To know something is a bit different than to do something.
Knowlege is good to have...that if you have good knowlege.
Never the less knowlege is not worth a fresia if you don't apply that knowelge and the principles of it.

I think I've educated myself plenty on many subjects, including diabeties.
After all, I did mentioned I experince blood sugar level challenges. It's not a theory to me...I think.lol

May I suggest you getting a colure by numbers book.
KEEP AN OPENMIND.

Btw..Lighten up. It's a simple command.
Rule #62.
I'm not going to tell you the orgin of rule #62. If I did I would rob you of your spiritaul developement.lol

Since people want more information. Here you go.

In addition people should understand that this documentary video is a video documented diabetes cure study. That is right, this documentary is a documented study itself. I really don't want to get technical with this thread. It was meant as an introduction to the topic, but since Jack is challenging it here is some more information. Which basically means Jack was trying to refute a study itself when he has no knowledge of it what so ever.

The problem along with the pharmaceutical industry is you also have junk food companies that do everything they can to try to prove their food isn't responsible. Do you think they will give out education that says, don't use our product or here is how to get off our product? It is self-defeating to a business and every bit in their best interest to mislead people. If you expect them to tell the truth, forget it. Never going to happen.

This explains a condition known as insulin resistence along with several other conditions.

Diabetes is one of the most prevalent health challenges of our time. It has evolved to pandemic proportions, growing most rapidly in developing economies, such as India and China, and among poor and minority groups in developed nations. In this two part series, we will explore the diets employed by two medical doctors, Neal Barnard, M.D. and Gabriel Cousens, M.D., whose patients have successfully controlled, reversed and cured diabetes by following their advice. Dr. Neal Barnard is a physician and clinical researcher who recently completed a study on the effects of the vegan diet, which is an animal free diet, on controlling and reversing Type 2 diabetes. The study, which is documented in his book Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes, was funded by the US National Institutes of Health and conducted by George Washington University and the University of Toronto in Canada. Dr. Barnard is also the director of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

Our research shows several benefits of a vegan diet for people with diabetes. Number one, you lose weight, and you lose about a pound per week and add that up, 52 weeks per year, you’re talking serious weight loss. Cholesterol levels fall and blood sugars fall. The need for medication drops, many people get off their medications completely and blood pressure comes down as well. So that sack of pills that you’ve been taking for your cholesterol, your blood pressure, your diabetes, a lot of those you’ll probably be able to throw away.

Dr. Gabriel Cousens is a medical doctor, a diplomat for the American Board of Holistic Medicine and founder of the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center in Patagonia, Arizona. Dr. Cousens is an expert in the holistic application of raw vegan nutrition, supplements and lifestyle changes to cure diabetes, overcome addictions and many other health challenges. He has been working with diabetics in his private practice and has detailed his findings in his recently-released book There is a Cure for Diabetes. Dr. Cousens had invited six diabetics eating the standard American diet to the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center to demonstrate the rejuvenating power of curing diabetes with a raw, vegan diet. His patients’ journey was documented in a newly released movie titled, Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days.

We have a 21-day program. In one to four days, really one day, practically we get people off all their insulin, and all their other diabetic medications. In two to three weeks, even if their blood sugar started with 500 or 400, returning their blood sugars to normal which is less than 100.

Both doctors have independently proven that the vegan diet is effective in treating diabetes. Their approaches, while both using plant-based vegan diets are at different ends of the spectrum – one mostly cooked and the other 80% raw – and yet their results are profound. Before we go further into the details of this healthy diet, let’s learn more about diabetes.

Diabetes is a condition, as I guess people know, where there’s too much sugar in the blood. The sugar is glucose and it’s there normally to go into the cells to provide energy, so that if I’m going to run a marathon all my muscle cells are using that glucose for energy. The problem is in diabetes is the glucose can’t get into the cells. It stays in the blood, and in the blood it can be toxic. It can hurt the eyes, the tiny little blood vessels of the eyes or the kidneys or other parts of the body. Type-1 diabetes, we hear people talk about that. That used to be called “childhood onset,” and in this condition the pancreas, which normally makes the insulin that brings the sugar into the cell, the pancreas is no longer making insulin so the sugar can’t get into the cell. Type-2 diabetes used to be called “adult onset.” There’s still insulin there, but the cells resist its action. So it’s like having a key, which is the insulin, going to a lock on the cell and the key can’t open the lock, so the sugar builds up. The research shows in every indigenous culture, when white flour and white sugar are introduced there’s an outbreak of diabetes 20 years later. We have the evidence from comparisons of different countries. We’ve known for a long period of time, when a person goes from a vegetarian type of culture, a plant-based kind of culture, to a meaty culture, diabetes rates go way, way up. It comes directly as a symptom of the culture of death, because diabetes is a direct reflection of living in the culture of death, which is white flour, white sugar, cooked animal flesh, fat, saturated fat pesticides and herbicides, the effect of mineral depletion in the soil (so our input doesn’t have enough minerals), of pesticides and heavy metals. All these play a role.

It’s important for us to understand the cause of diabetes. If I had a patient who had diabetes, and I pulled out one muscle cell from their leg or their arm, and I looked at it, blew it up big with a microscope, we’d see the cause of diabetes. Keep in mind what this glucose that’s built up in the blood is there for. It’s supposed to power our cells; it’s supposed to keep our muscle cells moving. Well, if the insulin key arrives at the surface of the cell, and it can’t open the channels to let glucose in, why not? Well if I look at this big muscle cell, I see that it looks different from a muscle cell from somebody who doesn’t have diabetes. It’s different because it’s full of little fat droplets. Imagine if I have a perfectly good key for my front door, and I go away and I come back and my key no longer opens the door. Because it’s full of fat globules. Yeah, somebody put gum in my lock; it doesn’t work very well. So if I have fat in my cells, it’s not gum, but it could be fat from cheese, fat from meat, fat from eggs, or fat from a fryer grease or something like that. So to make it short and sweet, the cause of Type 2 diabetes is when fat builds up in the cells and insulin can no longer signal that cell to accept glucose. The answer to it is to get that fat out of the cell. How do I do it? Well where does the fat come from? The fat comes from meat, it comes from cheese and other dairy products; cheese is the worst, about 70% fat, also eggs and cooking grease.

To demonstrate how powerful animal fat is in its ability to create diabetes, Dr. Barnard and his colleagues ran an experiment funded by the US National Institutes of Health.

We made it rather simple, and that’s an advantage of the vegan diet, because the typical diabetes diet says you’ve got to count carbohydrate grams, use exchange lists of foods. And it is a little bit complicated and some people find it quite tedious. The vegan diet, we actually had three rules. One is no animal products; that’s pretty simple. Keep oils really low. And the third was avoid sugars and things like white bread, but don’t avoid healthy carbohydrates, so they could eat rice and they could eat pasta and sweet potatoes and yams and beans until their heart’s content. Those were the only rules. The first result was that the patients really liked it. These people were not vegans coming in to it, they were eating all kinds of things, but they came into the study and something has changed in the world. We had a control group following the American Diabetes Association Diet; they did pretty well, they lost some weight, and their blood sugars came down. But the vegans lost significantly more weight, their blood sugar control improved dramatically, and their cholesterol levels fell and other things improved as well, so it’s clearly the preferable diet. Let me give you an example: There was a man who came into our study named Vance. Vance’s father was dead by age 30. Wow. Vance was 31 when he was diagnosed with diabetes. He’d been a Washington, DC policeman for 12 years; he said, “I know I’m overweight, I’m not paying too much attention to my diet, eating a lot of BBQ chicken and so forth.” We said “OK, those days are gone Vance; now it’s time for you to follow a healthy diet.” And we made it simple for him. So if you’re eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, well that’s not vegetarian food. So throw that out and make a big bowl of oatmeal, top it with cinnamon and raisins or whatever. You can have as much of it as you want. Or if you’re more a fruit person, have a half a cantaloupe, or some rye toast, no butter or whatever, those are good breakfast choices. For lunch, Vance liked chili, so he had a veggie chili, there’s lots of vegetable chilis, or a bean burrito or something like that. For dinner, if he went Italian, instead of spaghetti with a meat sauce he had spaghetti with a tomato sauce. So it seemed to him like the easiest diet in the world, because he didn’t have to limit how much he ate. Well as time went on he lost weight, he lost weight and he lost weight. After a year he had lost 60 pounds. His blood sugar, which had been out of control, came down so much his doctor sat him down and said, “Vance, you’ve been on this diet; you don’t have diabetes anymore.” His doctor took him off his medicine. So basically to sum it up, the benefits of a vegan diet for diabetes… OK, number one, very gradually, very gently, your blood sugar starts coming down. Your weight comes down as well. Blood cholesterol comes down as well, very impressively, similarly to what a cholesterol-lowering drug will do. You can do that with a vegan diet. And blood pressure comes down as well. Those are the big things. The little things: Your digestion is better, so a person who has had chronic constipation, that’s usually fixed in about 24 to 48 hours. It’s that quick! If a person has arthritis, not everybody gets better, but many do. If people have migraines, that’s better as well.

Dr. Cousens’ experience is that the top three factors leading to diabetes are foods which convert to sugar, animal fats and toxins, followed by several other factors which cause insulin resistance, such as smoking, caffeine, and white flour.

High sugar is not going to work. Dr. Klein, who was the head of the British Medical Services in World War II, did this research. He studied all the different subcultures around the world, indigenous cultures, whatever, and they came up with what’s known as the 20-year rule. The 20 year rule means, 20 years after you introduce white flour, white sugar you get dire outbreaks of diabetes . That’s it. So sugar plays the biggest role. And fructose is the worst.

Cooked animal and meat and dairy are the second category. And what happens, there’s lots of problems here. Basically, a high-cooked fat blocks the function of insulin. That’s the basic bottom line. People who are diabetic also have some kind of genetic tendency that they have more fats in their cells and it creates a backup in their system. So it creates insulin resistance; that’s what we’re talking about so animal products do this problem. Dairy does it. All these things cause inflammation. Now that’s one of the keys, is diabetes is the inflammation of the whole system, and particularly the beta cells in the pancreas. And the live food diet, as you’ll see the results, creates a specific anti-inflammation effect.

Other researchers have tested diets that are sort of semi vegetarian. So we thought alright, let’s do a real study. Let’s bring people in and get all the junk out of their diet. Remove the meat and the dairy products and the eggs, and keep the oils low too, so the people aren’t eating a lot of fried foods. And that was what we wanted to test. We did some preliminary tests that were very favorable, so in 2003, the national institutes of health and/for the federal government supported our work to do a careful test of a vegan diet for type 2 diabetes . And the results were wonderful.

So just by eliminating the meat… by eliminating all animal products, meat and dairy, by reducing all the sugars and keeping oils low, just by doing those 3 things, without doing any other exotic optimizing the diet, these people had lower….

Their blood sugar fell, their cholesterol fell, they lost weight, their blood pressure gets better as well.

Eliminating the toxins from our bodies is also a very important part regaining and maintaining one’s health.

Pesticides, herbicides and your heavy metals all have their effect. Mercury poisons the beta cells of the pancreas and deactivates insulin. Fluorine causes insulin resistance. Cadmium affects the kidneys and causes insulin resistance. Lead causes insulin resistance. So arsenic creates hormonal disruption but also causes insulin resistance. Caffeine increases insulin resistance by 30%. Cigarettes increases insulin resistance by 20-30% whether you’re a lighter smoker or heavier smoker. Low fiber diet because high fiber diets slow down the glucose going into the system; stress retention, wheat. There is a substance in white flour called oxalic acid. How many people have ever heard of it? Oxalic acid is a specific poison to the beta cells in the pancreas; specific. It destroys the beta cells in the pancreas. So we don’t really recommend anything with white flour. Wheat itself tends to increase insulin resistance in the organic system that’s called carpogenic. It tends to create diabetes .

What we learn from the live foods and we learn from what we call juice fasting is that you can turn on and you can turn off the diabetic switch and activate people into a healthy lifestyle, healthy on anti-aging genes.

I actually wrote a book about 10 years ago, called Foods that Fight Pain, where I talk about painful conditions like migraine headaches or arthritis or menstrual cramps, for not everybody, but for many people, when they get away from dairy products their arthritis improves or goes away. Same with migraine headaches.

We have seen, which is surprising to people here, is, we have healed Type-I as well. We had one person that actually was Type-I that got into our program by accident for a movie we were doing with him. He was thin with the blood sugar of 1200; that’s really high.

Wow!

Yeah, should be 85. OK, in four days he is off all insulin, two weeks his blood sugars were within 73 to about 85, varied. He is healed!

73! Raw for 30 days. February 14th, without insulin! And you tell me what program works!

What program works? This works! This works! We do specific training on the optimum diet. What’s the optimum diet? Is your, again, your organic, vegan , 80% live-food. We, at least, particularly we do a lot of indigenous diet things, like tepary beans and that kind of thing, and some grains because they have actually being shown to be quite good for diabetes , OK? The mainstream medical community considers a person to be free of diabetes when their blood sugar is below 125.

However, Dr. Cousens finds that when the blood sugar is below 85, it helps to stimulate the body’s organs to heal. One goal of his program is to keep the blood sugar at these low levels for a certain number of months after the initial 21 days to give the organs a chance to rejuvenate.

Most people are coming with 300, 400 or things like that, and so, we dropped it very rapidly, but then we want to see it stabilized. We want to see the pancreas healed, we want to see the adrenal healed, the thyroid healed, these are things that we are talking about that are really important for the hypo-seizure thing, organs disordered by a way of life. We want to see people do their exercises, because exercise is very, very important, losing weight is very important. Those are two associated factors with the on-set of Type-2.

Now, one of the gentlemen who came to your program, he was about to have his foot amputated and you mentioned that certain portions of his body were starting to lose sensitivity.

Right.

This is scar tissue from the burn. I forgot all about my foot in the heater.

If he weren’t to reverse it, he would be going towards amputation.

They should have cut your foot off. And good thing they didn’t, because look at it now.

How was he healed?

He, within three weeks, his foot was all healed up, he got his neuropathy which is what we were talking about, went away, his skin condition improved, his mental state improved dramatically. We need to understand a new piece of the information, which is Alzheimer’s is associated with diabetes . And so, he was like in that confused mental state, and that also cleared up. He was in his late 40s, and way overweight, and you know, the classical diabetic, obese and eating sugar and mentally not clear and in suffering, pain, legs about ready to be amputated; that sort of disease is the classical kind of symptoms that begin to happen, complications, and so it’s not fun to live that way.

I’ve been the man with a lantern looking for the truth, and by God, I’ve found it!

And there’s one regret that sometimes people have, they regret that they didn’t do this about 20 years earlier because to be in a body that feels healthy, it’s the best possible thing. Not only to be healthy for yourself, but for your family, to be a good example for them.

The next person to troll this thread will be banned for a period of one to twenty-four hours.

So person should seek advice or instructions with his or her doctor first to run
blood samples to at least know what fucken type of daibetec a person have to begin with
instead of daiagnosing yourself from informations from a documentary or informercial or people
say on the net.

Doctors certifying or signing their John Doe to market products is nothing new.
It's on informercials everyday.

Corporations running their own reserch with the so call experts to support thier claims to support thier
products is nothing new. That's econamics 101.

Just becuase someone tag their production as "DOCUMENTARY"...dosn't mean it's set in stone, truth,
nor not byess.

Again, that's like going to a freaken plumber to get your automobile repaired.
It's not complicated enough. I guess.

mmmm..kind of like seeking marrital advice from fucken Dr. Phil...
honeysuckle...i can see if that dude gave advice on how to cheat on your fucken wife...:p

Lonesome Crow said:
So person should seek advice or instructions with his or her doctor first to run
blood samples to at least know what fucken type of daibetec a person have to begin with
instead of daiagnosing yourself from informations from a documentary or informercial.
This has nothing to do with diagnosis... This is not an infomercial.

Instead of making assumptions, why don't you try to watch it instead?

Imaginary example:
Say for example there really was a way to grow a money tree. Many people wouldn’t accept it, no matter how much proof. Even if their neighbor had one and was picking money off it right in front of them. I suppose you could say the none believers would be what would fit the definition of insane.

Me, I would start my own orchard if money trees were real.

Skorian said:
Lonesome Crow said:
instead of daiagnosing yourself from informations from a documentary or informercial.
This has nothing to do with diagnosis... This is not an infomercial.

Instead of making assumptions, why don't you try to watch it instead?

No...that's a waste of my presious time:p
I ma go snack on my candi bar , now...lmao

Lonesome Crow said:
No...that's a waste of my presious time:p
I ma go snack on my candi bar , now...lmao
I already know people have this attitude. Like a blind man who is blind because they choose to wear a blindfold.

So if you won't bother to help yourself, then I won't bother to feel sorry for you.

I hope you don't think it is acceptable to pass your attitude on to others. You may think it is funny, but it really isn't.

What I see is someone who is so ill that they got stuck and can't even be bothered to get out of it.

Someone I talk to a bit doesn't understand why I am hardcore anti junk food. Junk food can steal lives. It steals your health, mental clarity, self-confidence, energy, and intelligence. And those whose lives it steals are not even able to see it anymore because they are in it. They don't even know what they are actually throwing away. They won't ever find out until they change their ways and will never change their ways, because they are too stuck. Junk food is insidious. It is like a disease. It can steal people’s willpower to defeat it.

My opinion in regards to the war on drugs that we have waged for years. The true gateway to drugs is junk food (all unhealthy substances really). It seems weird, but in my opinion that is what is the real gateway to drugs. The way to win the war on drugs is to start an outright war on junk food (or anything that is unhealthy). A little now and then is ok, but the moment you fall into more then that, it can pull you in.

All you see is a screen in front of you with word and colours.(lets keep it real)
However you process that is your own chosing. It's your reality/delusions and no one else.

Geez wheeezzzz...I can't steal people's power either, but somehow you claimed that i did.
You actaully claimed that I did by your actions...only when I fits your purpose or is convient for you.
Your actions speak for itself.

Enlighten me with addictions, Skorian...
This I like to know.

BTW..I've been in recovery since you were wearing diapers.
Do plenty of reserch and experince it before you make claims about addictions.
Many had also claimed they're were CURED of addictions...through death.
I belive I've seen the light.

Sorry Skorian. I did more than enough to prove that video flawed. You cannot tell somebody that asking for scientific research on a subject is circular logic- that's the kind of evidence people need to back up health based claims in the real world that the rest of us live in. You lost the argument and there is no point in talking with you if you are going to just avoid the central issue that this stuff is not backed by scientific research. Especially after I proved the video was made by people who make tons of money selling stuff to new agers and conspiracy theorists- good grief.

If you can't see a con act this obvious I don't know what to tell you. I was extremely thorough in my analysis of your video already and you just avoided what I said that you didn't want to hear and acted as if it doesn't matter that I can show these people have a vested interest in selling non scientifically backed information to the public whether or not it is true.

There's the saying "buyer beware". Well you need to learn how the real world operates. I know you apparently believe anything that is conspiracy theory and whatnot, but that's the real conspiracy that traps many people. Getting conned by people telling you the establishment is conning you so you should give them your money instead does NOT get you any closer to the truth.

These people are obviously making money just making random claims that they cannot prove, and you are still sticking up for them and almost proud that you don't even wish them to provide you with scientific evidence to back their strong claims... makes no sense. Nothing is more closed minded than not expecting people profiting off of something to go through the proper channels to prove that it works.

Skorian said:
This statement is made upon the assumption that you are doing a starvation diet. Which means you wouldn't be getting enough calories and protein to maintain your muscle. Which is exactly why not eating to lose weight is a bad idea. When people don't eat to lose weight they lose muscle, muscle is our number one fat burner, and then when they quit the diet, put on more fat then they had to begin with.

In fact, if you eat a healthy diet and lift weights, that is a very effective way to lose it. Of course if you struggle to have the energy to lift, then eating healthy for a while can help you get the energy needed to do weight training..

This is not true. You need a deficit of calories to lose weight. You cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time- it's one or the other.

You will ALWAYS lose a bit of muscle while losing fat, but it's minimized if you only lose one to 2 pounds a week.

And that is already considering that you're still lifting weights while losing weight and eating healthy and enough protein.

Jack Kerouac said:
Sorry Skorian. I did more than enough to prove that video flawed. You cannot tell somebody that asking for scientific research on a subject is circular logic- that's the kind of evidence people need to back up health based claims in the real world that the rest of us live in. You lost the argument and there is no point in talking with you if you are going to just avoid the central issue that this stuff is not backed by scientific research. Especially after I proved the video was made by people who make tons of money selling stuff to new agers and conspiracy theorists- good grief.

If you can't see a con act this obvious I don't know what to tell you. I was extremely thorough in my analysis of your video already and you just avoided what I said that you didn't want to hear and acted as if it doesn't matter that I can show these people have a vested interest in selling non scientifically backed information to the public whether or not it is true.

There's the saying "buyer beware". Well you need to learn how the real world operates. I know you apparently believe anything that is conspiracy theory and whatnot, but that's the real conspiracy that traps many people. Getting conned by people telling you the establishment is conning you so you should give them your money instead does NOT get you any closer to the truth.

These people are obviously making money just making random claims that they cannot prove, and you are still sticking up for them and almost proud that you don't even wish them to provide you with scientific evidence to back their strong claims... makes no sense. Nothing is more closed minded than not expecting people profiting off of something to go through the proper channels to prove that it works.
Ok then, how many studies, besides the video documentary study, to get you to acknowledge that you have no clue what your talking about?

Here is one. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/8/1777.full

Which comes to two studies that you now have. I will look for the documentation of the documentary.

Here is a list of studies done only by Dr. Neal Barnard who is one of the doctors behind this documentary. Your going to argue that you know more then him? http://www.nealbarnard.org/pubs.cfm

I wonder how many more studies I can find from the doctors behind this documentary?

I already told you there were studies...
Jack Kerouac said:
Skorian said:

In fact, if you eat a healthy diet and lift weights, that is a very effective way to lose it. Of course if you struggle to have the energy to lift, then eating healthy for a while can help you get the energy needed to do weight training..

This is not true. You need a deficit of calories to lose weight. You cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time- it's one or the other.

Oh really??? So burning calories makes no difference then according to you? According to you every body builder should be overweight... Why then do some people consume 4000 or more calories a day and they have low body fat? You have no clue what your talking about.

You will ALWAYS lose a bit of muscle while losing fat, but it's minimized if you only lose one to 2 pounds a week.

Wrong...

And that is already considering that you're still lifting weights while losing weight and eating healthy and enough protein.

This is all still based upon the assumption that you are on a starvation diet. Which means less then about 1500 to 2000 calories.

Where do you get your information? The circus?
Here is a nutrition based scientific community. http://www.nutrition.org/

Do not attack the field of nutrition. You have no idea what your talking about.

Latest posts

Back