what was the last movie you saw?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's based on a true story, but the screenwriters obviously didn't know much of the details. Basically, it's about the terrors Czechs faced under the "protection" of Reinhard Heydrich. He was assassinated in 1942 by British-supported partisans, but the Nazis respond by murdering the entire village of Lidice and essentially wiping it off the map. This movie was made in 1943. Here are the matter-of-fact, gruesome details of this horrific story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidice_massacre

1693606590932.png

Last edited:
It's based on a true story, but the screenwriters obviously didn't know much of the details. Basically, it's about the terrors Czechs faced under the "protection" of Reinhard Heydrich. He was assassinated in 1942 by British-supported partisans, but the Nazis respond by murdering the entire village of Lidice and essentially wiping it off the map. This movie was made in 1943. Here are the matter-of-fact, gruesome details of this horrific story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidice_massacre

View attachment 8263
Interesting. Would've been a horrendous ordeal. I find if odd that films were made while the war was still in full swing.

Devil's Playground 1937 One actor was born back in 1872!

devils playground 1937.jpg screenshot-en.wikipedia.org-2023.09.02-15_43_08.jpg

Last edited:
Jennifer 1953 a film noir directed by Joel Newton and starring Ida Lupino, Howard Duff, and Robert Nichols. Time Out magazine (London) wrote of the film, "This is gothic romance crossed with early '50s noir, worth a look for the sake of the great Wong Howe. He tackles this B-picture with unfailing artistry, creating images that are strong without being showy, atmospheric yet perfectly naturalistic.

Jennifer 1953.jpg MV5BMTg5M2QyYjktZDQ0OC00MmVjLThhOTUtZTA0MTFhMzQ0ZTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM0MTE2MTc1._V1_.jpg

BTW folks, I link the movies for your viewing wherever I can.

The Upturned Glass is a 1947 British film noir psychological thriller directed by Lawrence Huntington and starring James Mason, Rosamund John and Pamela Kellino. It was made at Gainsborough Pictures' Islington Studios, with sets designed by the art director Andrew Mazzei. Good suspenseful drama.

upturnedglass 1947.jpg MV5BNTQzMTRhZWYtZDJiNS00Zjc1LWE0MDMtYTQwNGMzZDMyMDA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzEzMDAyNTI@._V1_.jpg

Road Gang 1936 (click link to watch) American drama film directed by Louis King, written by Dalton Trumbo, produced by Bryan Foy, and starring Donald Woods and Kay Linaker. The film shows economic and social injustice due to political corruption. The managing editor of a Chicago newspaper crusades for inmates in a Southern prison camp.

road gang 1936.jpg Untitled.jpg

Funny Games (2007)

A direct, shot-for-shot remake by the same director of his previous movie of the same title from roughly 10 years prior.
The whole reason I decided to watch this is that I remember back when it first came out I used to have a friend who was a film major that watched it and it ruffled his feathers in an uneasy way. So naturally, because I was thinking of my old friend, I decided to pull it up and finally throw it on. Film is what he did. Lol. I mean, not only was he majoring in it in college (and is now somewhere in California) but he also worked at the local, now-closed movie theater for quite some time. Enough that he was able to collect a considerable amount of promotional material from working there, which he used to theme his bedroom with. It reminded me of how music enthusiasts will have walls of records and CDs, or the classic battle jacket or patch vest from the old metal days. Anyway, onto Funny Games.

The movie is fvcked up, he isn't wrong about that at all. Not AS fvcked up as things that came out after it, but for its time, yes, it's fvcked up. While most movies about teenage psychopaths are fvcked up, Funny Games pushes the pre-2008 uneasiness of it. I went into this mostly blind, mind you, not knowing much about it at all. The acting was great, aaaannndddd admittedly, no, I haven't seen the original....but it's by the same director and is supposedly a shot-for-shot remake. I'm also easily sold on Naomi Watts. Normally when I sit down with a horror movie I end up at some point thinking "why didn't they X" or "why is Y that way?" I didn't really have many questions like that with this movie. It was very thorough and straight.

The only downside is, I wouldn't really call it particularly scary. Uneasy and Disturbing? Yes. Suspenseful? At times. Scary? Hardly. Unless of course slasher/killer stuff gets to you, okay then yeah, then it's probably scary.

The only other thing I can think of is that it's not really something I'd rewatch. Unless I'm either watching the original for a comparison (which I will eventually do), or if I know someone who likes shock value. The movie was made by the director as "a reflection and criticism of violence used in media," and it does that actually pretty well with a couple of fourth wall breaks along the way which make for some uneasy moments.

Gee I can't stand Jar Jar Binks. And Ewan McGregor is annoying as Oki Wan Kenobi
I couldn't agree more man, this trilogy is truly awful, almost as bad as the J J Abrams movies. Abrams has managed to kill Star Wars and Star Trek, no easy feat, I wish they'd let him loose on those god awful Mission Impossible and Fast and Furious movies.

Nightbird-2023-v1.jpg

Kind of a Filipino version of 'I Spit on your Grave'

Nightbird-2023-006-Neil-Tolentino-and-Christine-Bermas.jpg

Neil Tolentino and Christine Bermas

Why would anyone do that? I don’t get it. I’m not into slasher films myself.

The original movie was made and set in Germany. The later movie was set in America and in English. That's supposedly the only difference. It was to appeal to an American audience.

Hey what the heck? They changed Annikin Skywalker's apparition at the end from Sebastion Shaw to Hayden Christensen. Gee Harrison Ford was all over Carrie Fisher back then eh? I know they had an affair for a few months for a while, but he was still copping a feel in this one.

Star Wars 6.jpg grope.jpg

Spider-Woman-Strikes-Back-The-1946-001-Title.jpg

The Spider Woman Strikes Back (1946)

Spider-Woman-Strikes-Back-The-1946-008-Brenda-Joyce-Rondo-Hatton-Kirby-Grant.jpg

Brenda Joyce, Rondo Hatton, Kirby Grant

Latest posts

Back