Can anyone else here honestly say that they don't have a single friend

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find, too, that my online friends can be incredibly supportive. One especially, whose life mirrors my own in so many ways.

TheRealCallie said:
Tiina63 said:
I think that online friend do count. I have a couple of online friends who I have had for some years and although it is frustrating not being able to meet at weekends etc (we live in different countries), they are still good friends and I wouldn't want to be without them.

Online friends DEFINITELY count. I have many. Hell, most of my friends are online, but you know what, many of them have helped me more than any of the friends I have offline.

True for me too, what Callie said.

I was in online and telephone contact with one person for about 10 years before he disappeared (probably because he passed away, as he was ill and pushing 70). But I never had a chance to meet him in person, so there will always be a small doubt in my mind as to whether anything he ever said to me was true. Online friendship requires not only a higher level of trust than face-to-face friendship but also requires suspension of skepticism. Over time, our minds will probably develop coping strategies that make us more naturally suited to online contact. For now, however, online contact is fairly new, and it's been only about 10 years since the first children were born into a purely online world. How their neuroanatomy takes shape should be interesting to see.

Mickey-I think that based on what you have written, the chances are that your friend was genuine. The fact he kept the friendship going for ten whole years and that he didn't try to get anything out of you ( such as money or meeting for sex) implies that what he said was true. So I think that you can rest easy about him and look back on what was a rewarding online friendship.

Tiina63 said:
Mickey-I think that based on what you have written, the chances are that your friend was genuine. The fact he kept the friendship going for ten whole years and that he didn't try to get anything out of you ( such as money or meeting for sex) implies that what he said was true. So I think that you can rest easy about him and look back on what was a rewarding online friendship.

You know, you're right. In all that time he never asked me for anything. Yes, we did send each other money from time to time, depending on who had extra and who didn't have enough, but it was always one of us offering it to the other rather than the other person asking for it.

I still have an eight-inch-thick manila folder of the snail mail letters he wrote me, sorted in chronological order. I haven't looked at them in more than a year, but they are of huge sentimental value.

I don't have a single friend. I've probably never had a real friend and I've come to think that I'm incapable of feeling real friendship or love. This probably all sounds self-pitying but I think I'll always be alone. I can't see anything good about myself so I can't imagine why anyone would want to know me. I can't imagine any sort of relationship with another person that doesn't end with rejection when they get to know me.

Meh. Feelingsy stuff is overrated.

Lishniy Chelovek said:
I don't have a single friend. I've probably never had a real friend and I've come to think that I'm incapable of feeling real friendship or love. This probably all sounds self-pitying but I think I'll always be alone. I can't see anything good about myself so I can't imagine why anyone would want to know me. I can't imagine any sort of relationship with another person that doesn't end with rejection when they get to know me.

Amthorn said:

Lishniy Chelovek said:

Feelingsy stuff is all there is. Killing all feeling, I've tried it and it doesn't lead anywhere.

Lishniy Chelovek said:
Amthorn said:

Lishniy Chelovek said:

Feelingsy stuff is all there is. Killing all feeling, I've tried it and it doesn't lead anywhere.

What did you try to do?

Amthorn said:
Lishniy Chelovek said:
Amthorn said:

Lishniy Chelovek said:

What did you try to do?

Oh I don't know. Try to hate everything and feel nothing. Crush every trace of humanity and become stone cold and invulnerable. It's all bullshit.

I don't have any actual real life friends either, only associates who volunteer at the same public service activities as me. One of the ladies and I have a more personal relationship.....I think of her as in the 'friendship zone'....but actual achieved friendship? Not really.

Then there's an online relationship with a gal whom I knew for 9 years when we children and early teens. We were ex-pats in the same British colony and ran with the same social clique; now we both 'hang out' at some facebook groups catering to aging ex-pats from there.....she and I have an ongoing private dialog.

That private two way chat has assumed an importance to me.

I haven't had anything resembling a real friend. There was a group of girls I thought were my friends up until high school, but they dropped me like a scalding hot potato once I started going to have difficulties (physical and mental) that couldn't be ignored or handwaved away as quirks that could be overlooked. Had some casual friends in college, mostly in classes really.

Now I'm too old and too distrustful.

I can honestly say that in the last 30 days (of which 20 with bronchitis) I never had a phone call or a chat and I was invited out one time. and I have 500+ Facebook contacts and an apparent social life

I have one friend that I've had around since high school, she is always there for me when I need her and she is very kind.. But it makes me feel guilty. She helps me out a lot. She pays part of my rent and I can always count on her when things get bad.. But I feel like its not right to bother her with my problems. She has her own issues to deal with, without worrying about me and my emotional problems...

I have absolutely no friends, nothing, nada. I used to have an online friend who I talked to every day that was in the same situation as me, but he moved away, found real life friends and forgot I exist.

I have absolutely no friends. Not even a single one. All I have is my parents and sister numbers on my phone. I just look at it sometimes and feel sorry for myself. I don't even know why I have a phone. It never rings. Just a random text from my sister or parents asking how I'm doing. I guess that's what I get from keeping my mouth shut all the time. I'm pretty boring. Plain. Last friend I had was in high school. That was almost 4 years ago. I wouldn't even call her a friend now that I think about it.

If you consider talking to one real life person online five six times a year a friend. Yes I got nada since birth, I'm also rare.

Having put some thought into this, I can't honestly say that I have no friends. Although they aren't close I do have three friends that I can think of. I wouldn't think of contacting them on a daily or even weekly basis, but from time to time we do get together or write to each other just to check in. I don't work, so most days I busy myself with my own thoughts.

Latest posts

Back