Can men be friends with women?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:
I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...

That's what it looks like when someone is sharing their own personal experience without making sweeping generalizations across broad cross-sections of society. 

;)

And using those single experiences as some kind of evidence of the contrary... which is not.  ;)

Sharing a personal story doesn't equate "providing evidence," just as sarcasm doesn't equate intelligence and passive-aggression doesn't equate bravery. ;)

VanillaCreme said:
Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:
I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...

That's what it looks like when someone is sharing their own personal experience without making sweeping generalizations across broad cross-sections of society. 

;)

And using those single experiences as some kind of evidence of the contrary... which is not.  ;)

And what else am I supposed to provide? I don't talk for everyone like you want to. Be a smart ass all you want. It does happen. Maybe not to you, but I could understand why someone wouldn't want to bother with you, as much as a sarcastic smart alec as you are.

Hey. remember when there were some studies linked about a controversial subject and you dismissed them because you didn't want a "scientist" tell you what to think? The internet is a big place to look for what is true and what's not. I've taken my time to research and in the sake of advancing discussions we should all do the same. Because if not, it sounds like someone saying the earth is a sphere and then someone else says is not because it doesn't look like it from their window.

bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:

;)

Sharing a personal story doesn't equate "providing evidence," just as sarcasm doesn't equate intelligence and passive-aggression doesn't equate bravery. ;)

That's what she was doing, but thanks for proving my point. It may look to you I'm trying to be smart, but that just shows how low the bar is for you to be intellectually challenged.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:
Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:

;)

And what else am I supposed to provide? I don't talk for everyone like you want to. Be a smart ass all you want. It does happen. Maybe not to you, but I could understand why someone wouldn't want to bother with you, as much as a sarcastic smart alec as you are.

Hey. remember when there were some studies linked about a controversial subject and you dismissed them because you didn't want a "scientist" tell you what to think? The internet is a big place to look for what is true and what's not. I've taken my time to research and in the sake of advancing discussions we should all do the same. Because if not, it sounds like someone saying the earth is a sphere and then someone else says is not because it doesn't look like it from their window.

bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:

;)

That what she was doing, but thanks for proving my point. It may look to you I'm trying to be smart, but that just shows how low the bar is for you to be intelectually challenged.

Lol

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:
Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:

;)

bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:

;)

That's what she was doing, but thanks for proving my point. It may look to you I'm trying to be smart, but that just shows how low the bar is for you to be intelectually challenged.

Your research has nothing to do with me. And before you try to ping someone for being challenged in any way, make sure you spell intellectually correctly. Consider this your last warning from me.

TheRealCallie said:
I have no idea who said what in that big blob of quotes, but the Earth is flat, dammit :club: lol

You have to get past the aliens that run Antarctica to prove that!  :cool:

"Your research has nothing to do with me"

Then don't try to disprove scientifical findings with opinions.

Xpendable said:

I'll be honest and say I have no idea what we are researching or what finding we have here, so I'm just going to assume it's about the topic of the thread because I don't really want to go try to read through all that mess.  If it's not, just pretend I didn't quote you and it's just getting the thread back on topic....

How can there be factual evidence of whether or not men and women can be friends?  Yeah, okay, you have psychologists and all that making studies, but it's still really just an educated guess since you can't really PROVE anything in that situation.  Studies, unless done on the majority of the population won't work for this kind of thing, because everyone is different.  Everyone has a different opinion.  It's an individual preference whether you can have friends who are the opposite sex. 
Some people can, some people can't.  Science can't prove or disprove that because it has nothing to do with science.  Some people can't because they would be attracted to the person.  Some people can because attraction isn't an issue.  I think it really probably depends on your life circumstances.

Xpendable said:

I didn't. I just said that they don't matter to me. I can have whatever opinion I'd like, just as you can. It's okay for everyone to have their opinion, not just you.

Literally everything has to do with science. People are too, we are not magical or indecipherable.

Maybe eventually the technology to fully understand thoughts and feelings will exist, but as of now, it really doesn't. Even then, with each individual person having different thoughts and feelings, it still won't be enough to say there is scientific evidence of this one way or the other.

Well, yeah.

Have you ever engaged in pleasant conversation with someone of the opposite sex on a regular basis? If the answer is 'yes,' then I'd say that counts as pretty solid proof of the positive.

I guess it really depends on the man and woman in question, though.

I've had lots of women friends. But a small sliver in the back of my mind always wanted to put my weenie in their foofoos.

This question assumes that all men and women are heterosexual for a start, when they're not and also ignores the fact that gender, like sexuality, is not a binary opposition but on a spectrum.  And that includes asexuality, as not everyone on the planet is entirely focused on seeing people sexually.  If we throw bisexual people or pansexual people into the mix then it might be argued they can have no friends because they find 2 or more genders attractive and therefore cannot have relationships of any kind with people not based on sex, or that gay men cannot be friends with other gay men as they wouldn't be able to resist any sexual attraction when clearly that would be a ridiculous statement.

Yes we all might find someone attractive, just as at times we might want to kill the person who cuts us off in traffic etc - fortunately we have evolution-pimped brains that in many cases enable us to override basic instincts and have real relationships with people. It really depends how you view other people, people of whatever gender are just as human and valuable as those of any other. They are people.

I hope that clears up that the parameters of the question are a bit vague from the outset.

Hope this gets this serious discussion back on track! :club:

I think the dymanics between a heterosexual man and heterosexual woman are probably going to be a lot different than dynamics between gay men and other gay men.

Its a lot more practical to just assume the OP only really meant regular heterosexual men and heterosexual women. Anything else requires a lot more writing and its just not worth the time to sit here and make sure every special snowflake case is covered.

Belongs in its own thread imo.

There are exceptions but i think in most cases for most people the answer is no.

I'd like to say yes though i'm not the best example because i acquire affections rather easily which is really annoying - it complicates things when they should be relatively simple. That's just me though, depends what kind of people they are.

Xplorer said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi guys.
[/font]

Recently, I saw this little interview with Steve Harvey where he explains why it's impossible for men and women to be friends. What do you think?

Well, I totally disagree with this man on that one. :)

It's a gross generalization on his part imo. Where he might have a point, is when there exists one-sided attraction between the two, or similar situations. In other words, when we are dealing with a relationship/friendship, that is emotionally skewed or dishonest.

Latest posts

Back