Men don't cry!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenInside

Reaction score
I posted this question in the "Questions for men" thread.

Why crying considered unmanly? I often hear people saying, "Oh you are such a baby" or "Men don't cry, stop it!"

Aren't men human too? Should they be criticised on letting their tears out when its needed?

Because throughout history, crying has been considered a vulnerability to rivals and predators. It's something that we've carried up and to now.

As a man (well, a guy, nineteen, judge yourself) i feel like i should've cried more.

The only times i really cried was when one of my granddads died, and when my parents divorced, which was at the same time a relationship ended.

I frequently felt like crying, but my eyes are mostly like "nah man, don't wanna let out the tears."

It used to frustrate me quite a bit, but since i feel better, not so much anymore.

No, they should not be criticized for expressing emotions in a natural way such as this ... I am distraught that this is still considered a weakness. I thought humans were evolving emotionally?

ucxb said:
I thought humans were evolving emotionally?

I could go on and on about how humans are actually devolving, but that would have to be in the "up for debate" section. :p

The first time I heard "Everywhere", I shed a few.
"It takes just as much courage to cry as it does not to."

[YOUTUBE]bIj81BJJMQA[/YOUTUBE]

I dunno I figure a lot of girls don't like it when guys cry. So they try not to so they can get more girls.

But this is just a wild guess in response to your question. I haven't really done any research or surveying on the subject.

A few of the pixar movies made me get a little misty
wary.gif

Limlim said:
I dunno I figure a lot of girls don't like it when guys cry. So they try not to so they can get more girls.

But this is just a wild guess in response to your question. I haven't really done any research or surveying on the subject.
Well. Lots of women to like a sensitive man.

Crying is a sign of weakness. I think women are more emotional anyway. I don't cry a lot, only if something very bad happens, and IF I cry I usually don't cry in front of others. I can only remember myself crying in front of others 3 times in the past 5 or 6 years I guess.

aspalas said:
Crying is a sign of weakness.

No.
It can be a healthy reaction under certain circumstances.

aspalas said:
I think women are more emotional anyway. I don't cry a lot, only if something very bad happens, and IF I cry I usually don't cry in front of others. I can only remember myself crying in front of others 3 times in the past 5 or 6 years I guess.

There is nothing wrong with crying if a person needs to. I don't LIKE to cry but it happens. Nothing to feel guilty about. I don't like to cry in front of anyone either, but Im sure as hell not going ot feel any guilt over it or that I'm a bad person.

I think a man who can cry is actually quite manly. Takes some ballz to show that. I just like a man who is true to himself and in touch with his feelings.

Protip: cut your onions with them in a bowl of water. You'll stop the spray that makes you cry.

I'm not saying crying is bad and I cry too every once in a while, but a vast majority of the people on earth see it as a sign of weakness. It's a good idea to just cry alone. Crying in front of your girlfriend/wife/children or whoever usually isn't the best thing to do IMO.

Men not crying isn't just about men not wanting to appear weak - you become accustomed to not showing too much emotion in general so that when there is a time of crisis, there is someone there who can keep their head. When Jackie was sick, there were dozens of times when I hurt bad enough to cry, but I had to hold it back so that I wouldn't seem afraid, because the more scared she thought I was, the more scared she would be - it wasn't about me looking tough, it was because she needed me to be strong.

This isn't something you can just turn on and off - you have to be used to not showing too much emotion. And it's not fair or "evolved" that men are expected to fill that role, but that's life.

LoneKiller said:
Okiedokes said:
I think a man who can cry is actually quite manly. Takes some ballz to show that. I just like a man who is true to himself and in touch with his feelings.
Free for dinner tonight?

:p

I hadn't cried out of a sense of emotional pain until my daughter's baby sister passed away almost a year ago. Other than that, the only time I cry is when I'm going to beat someone's ass and lose my mind.

That's not real crying. More like tears of insanity flowing though.

Okiedokes said:

Agreed!

kamya said:
A lot of us do cry, you just won't ever get to see it.

Yeah I think this is usually the case. And I think it's all right for men to cry. Men are humans and have emotions too. Just because they're men doesn't make them less of a human or having less feelings / emotions.

Latest posts

Back