online dating sites

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried online dating. Gone through 2 relationships in the past 2 years. I only go to the free sites. I refuse to pay just so I can read emails. I joined many of them but most are pay sites.

I get IMed a lot but most are younger guys and well I'm too old for them...lol. Also the pickings get slim are a while. I don't like doing long distance so I keep to the local area for guys.

Most guys will write once or twice then you don't hear from them anymore. That's the usual. The odd time I'll meet a nice guy and we end up becoming friends. Well at least we go for coffee.

Ak5 said:
Russian women :O

I'd be extra careful.

@Felix - Excellent idea! Take note females. I'm sure it works all the time. :p

I'm pretty sure one is a scammer.

The other seems more genuine.

aribeth said:
I've tried online dating. Gone through 2 relationships in the past 2 years. I only go to the free sites. I refuse to pay just so I can read emails. I joined many of them but most are pay sites.

I get IMed a lot but most are younger guys and well I'm too old for them...lol. Also the pickings get slim are a while. I don't like doing long distance so I keep to the local area for guys.

Most guys will write once or twice then you don't hear from them anymore. That's the usual. The odd time I'll meet a nice guy and we end up becoming friends. Well at least we go for coffee.

I've not received a genuine message yet. I've sent 20 messages and not got one reply yet. (This is from English women )

Have you tried going places that girls are? I just don't think posting your stats on a site and paying for it will get people anywhere. I still feel its just something that happens, but sitting at the computer waiting for messages could leave you missing out on a girl somewhere else.

Hoffy said:
Have you tried going places that girls are? I just don't think posting your stats on a site and paying for it will get people anywhere. I still feel its just something that happens, but sitting at the computer waiting for messages could leave you missing out on a girl somewhere else.

it's a fair point although some people have success using dating sites. My brother did.

Hoffy said:

And there's the issue. Where are women located?
The only place I can find a collection of them that say they want to date is on dating sites. Yes, I know, women on dating sites aren't looking for anyone to date but still... it's the only place I know of to find women.

There are loads of women in pubs. Trouble is loads of men as well. Plenty of competition.

I suppose singles nights are something I should into to.

Y'all don't want to meet some girl at a bar who is possibly just hitting on you cause she's drunk. Try book stores, the local library, get involved with any community help clubs or something like that.

blackdot said:
I don't go to bars. I can't stand being around alcohol.

same here. Alot of the women I work with drink everyday it seems.

Hoffy said:
Y'all don't want to meet some girl at a bar who is possibly just hitting on you cause she's drunk. Try book stores, the local library, get involved with any community help clubs or something like that.

how do you meet someone in a book store or library ?

That would be a cold approache which is difficult.

blackdot said:
I don't go to bars. I can't stand being around alcohol.

alcohol is the number one thing in people's lives. Especially the people I know. Because I don't drink, it makes me an outsider.

It's a sad fact but true. I just don't get drinking or getting drunk or making yourself ill. Or boasting about how much you drink.

I have never had any interest in alcohol. If I am out i will drink a bottle of beer but that's very rare. In fact I think I've had one beer this year !

I was at chapters today at it was filled with so many beautiful women. I seriously had to stay sitting in order to hide my boner.

Limlim said:
I was at chapters today at it was filled with so many beautiful women. I seriously had to stay sitting in order to hide my boner.
Wow! Good one, Limlim!

One is asking for money. Her mother wants a washing machine. I have directed all her e mails to my spam.

Do men actually fall for this ?

I am not sure about the other one. She wants to meet. I suppose it will be the 'send me the money for the ticket' type scam.

I joined a free dating website once last year. I was there for only 6 weeks or so. I met a few interesting people in my time. One lady was attractive and had a nice personality, aside from wanting to pay someone £20,000 to kill her ex. Another lady was faaar too keen for me. She wanted to call me about 1 hour after we started talking. I let her and she was nice. But she was really worried about something. Then one day she vanished (Like the 20K..iller :p)

I got more interest from Gay guys which was unusual as I said I was straight. But then I met a few nice girls. One Irish girl who I got on with very well, until she got a BF. Now I just see her about on FB. I met another Girl who really likes me but I don't feel the same. Not sure why but we get on still :] And there is one other girl that I talk to randomly from time to time.

Oh! How could I forget! I met one girl who I went out with for 2 weeks (My last relationship) It was all going fine aside from her becoming weirder and weirder as we got on (No offence to her lol) By the time we split, she was saying she loved me and wanted to move out with me and stuff (She had her own place but I don't) But I was shocked and had many other problems which I still have now, to deal with. Pre-relationship shizzle!

Gutted said:
I joined a free dating website once last year. I was there for only 6 weeks or so. I met a few interesting people in my time. One lady was attractive and had a nice personality, aside from wanting to pay someone £20,000 to kill her ex. Another lady was faaar too keen for me. She wanted to call me about 1 hour after we started talking. I let her and she was nice. But she was really worried about something. Then one day she vanished (Like the 20K..iller :p)

I got more interest from Gay guys which was unusual as I said I was straight. But then I met a few nice girls. One Irish girl who I got on with very well, until she got a BF. Now I just see her about on FB. I met another Girl who really likes me but I don't feel the same. Not sure why but we get on still :] And there is one other girl that I talk to randomly from time to time.

Oh! How could I forget! I met one girl who I went out with for 2 weeks (My last relationship) It was all going fine aside from her becoming weirder and weirder as we got on (No offence to her lol) By the time we split, she was saying she loved me and wanted to move out with me and stuff (She had her own place but I don't) But I was shocked and had many other problems which I still have now, to deal with. Pre-relationship shizzle!

wild !

online dating can work but u have to be a bit careful. i met my now exhusband through online dating, he seemed great till we where married and he admitted he put holes in condoms to get me preg so i would marry him (it worked since i did :s) and then started bullying my little boy. and thats just a little of the craziness i later found out about him :s. i don't use online dating anymore funny enough lol

I've told a few people about this dating site I have joined. They don't believe me when I say no English woman as been interested. They look at me strange. But it's true, I've sent dozens of letters and not had anything back.

I LOVE online dating sites. They're hilarious! So many profiles that are completely and utterly insane, with a random mixture of wacky messages. Hours of entertainment.

I've been writing to a russian woman for about 2 weeks now. She writes every day, got to know her quite well. She sends photo's. In her last couple of e mails she has got a bit heavy, mentioning she has feelings for me. She calls me darling and has mentioned us meeting.

I enjoy her letters and look forward to them. (No woman has ever called me darling ! )

Half of me thinks she is genuine, the other half thinks there is some kind of scam going on. I sent her last email to my brother to see what he thought and he said - don't take it seriously.

She isn't a model type. I do find her attractive though.

Putter, be real careful with the "out of country" sites. Russian, Filipino, etc... If she tells you that she loves you, you've got to wonder. Hell, she doesn't even know you except online. How could she love you? For her to even think about saying that she loves you would take you actually going there, and spending a week or two with her, and quite possibly a few trips.
Also, be wary of anyone who brings up a sick relative, no money for school or rent, etc... They would most likely be setting you up. They should NEVER ask for money. Most of these sites are full of scammers, and they all start out by calling you "darling".

I don't recall exactly which country you're in, but I would suggest (if you're going to try meeting someone from a different nationality) that you find her right in your own country. I did meet a Colombian woman on latinamericancupid dot com (several years back) who lived in New York, and we actually met in Orlando, Florida for a week-long vacation (I did require her to pay for her own round trip flight out there, and took care of everything else once we met). She spoke fairly good English. We had a good time, but that was the last I saw of her - hence, better to find someone local, as was mentioned in an earlier post. I can say, however, that it ended up being a fairly decent site when focusing on ONLY the women who already lived here in the USA. I think I paid about $100 for a year of access. I probably would have been better off going for the 3 month access plan instead.

Really, I don't recommend the international thing unless you go with a reputable site with actual match makers, but those cost quite a bit as I'm sure you already are aware.

Latest posts

Back