The truth about us undesirables

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the platitudes and simplified suggestions are general guides to truths you gotta figure out for yourself. Your defeated attitude and point of view feed into that. I see plenty of people you'd probably think were undesirable happily with someone. How do you explain those people? I spent 14 months with someone that has your exact pov and opinions. You're absolutely right. Platitudes and oversimplified slogans don't really help. But they're cliches that have some truth to them. It's then on yourself to figure out what that should be for you. There is no black and white answer. I myself go through similar thoughts about my own situation. My own station in life. I can't feel exactly what you're feeling but I do understand somewhat having been with someone with a similar point of view and myself seeing the world that way to some degree. But I've learned that it absolutely is about how you want to choose to deal with it. That's something you need to figure out for yourself. All anyone else can do is offer their support and listen.

PandaSwag said:
 Your defeated attitude and point of view feed into that.  I see plenty of people you'd probably think were undesirable happily with someone.  How do you explain those people?

this statement itself is also a platitude.  it seems to be suggesting that "other people similar or worse off than you have succeeded so since you are not you must be doing something wrong."  this is not always the case and instead it's all about chance. in addition, many of the people you mention have likely just settled for someone to avoid being alone. this is a big reason why there are so many unhappy relationships and that the divorce rate is so high.

the more physically attractive one is, the more options they have when it comes to relationships. men who are average to below average looking and are also short, have very slim if any options.  there may be a select few who are lucky to overcome this tremendous hurdle they were burdened with but they are the rare exception. there is only so much failure & rejection one can take before they being to understand that it was not meant to be.  

other than physical and mental health, for men there is not one characteristic more valuable than being tall & good looking.  those of us who drew the short stick (no pun intended) in the genetic lottery very likely have a lifetime of being alone & loneliness to look forward to.

Must concur with pandaswag, the answer to your question about why undesirable people end up in relationships is because they end up with other undesirables. That’s the problem with modern society and egalitarianism. It allows inferior genetics to promulgate by subverting the work of natural selection. Women select males based on criteria hardwired into them by evolution that looks for signs of strength, assertiveness, and ability to obtain shelter and resources. If you follow this to the end of the rabbit hole, this essentially means that if you are not deemed attractive to women, then you are of weak and inferior genetics, and wouldn’t have survived in the primal days when natural selection was uninhibited. But now we have modern society, which actively shelters the inferior from natural selection, and hence, the bottom of the hierarchy is now overrun by undesirables who would otherwise be dead if not for the shelter modernity gives them. For the first time in history, the genetically-inferior are able to achieve mating success, and even promulgate their genetic material. This is why its bad to try to help undesirables find partners. Our societies now strive to protect all life. We need to allow way more dying to occur. Which is why I think I should kill my worthless self.

I don't see very undesirable people in relationships. Or they could briefly be in something, but nothing lasting or satisfactory.

People often say they see "ugly" people in relationships - but are they actually ugly in all ways? The "ugly" people in relationships are not in the bottom 1%, all things considered - maybe the bottom 10% or 5%. They might have a plain face, but a decent build. Or maybe they have a more desirable personality. Or maybe they're in close-knit communities where they get to know A LOT of people, very well.

The most undesirable people are undesirable in various and multiple aspects - looks, build, personality, education, career, demeanor, etc. They're people that people are not drawn to - especially when it comes to dating or relationships.

QuietDesperation said:
I don't see very undesirable people in relationships. Or they could briefly be in something, but nothing lasting or satisfactory.

People often say they see "ugly" people in relationships - but are they actually ugly in all ways? The "ugly" people in relationships are not in the bottom 1%, all things considered - maybe the bottom 10% or 5%. They might have a plain face, but a decent build. Or maybe they have a more desirable personality. Or maybe they're in close-knit communities where they get to know A LOT of people, very well.

The most undesirable people are undesirable in various and multiple aspects - looks, build, personality, education, career, demeanor, etc. They're people that people are not drawn to - especially when it comes to dating or relationships.

this has not been my experience   it does not take being a total "loser" to be unable to experience an intimate physical relationship as just missing a few key factors is quite sufficient to be forced into a life of being single & lonely.  personally, i have many things going for me but have had zero success in dating due to being short & facially unattractive.  being in great shape, extremely healthy & financially secure has been meaningless when it comes to attracting a partner.  

what women really mean when they describe the non-physical attributes which they find attractive is that they want these same characteristics in a tall, handsome male. without high physical attractiveness, even the "perfect" man is only going to be a platonic friend while the tall, attractive man with little or none of these traits will always be very highly sought after.

[quote pid='905155' dateline='1561854856']

this has not been my experience   it does not take being a total "loser" to be unable to experience an intimate physical relationship as just missing a few key factors is quite sufficient to be forced into a life of being single & lonely.  personally, i have many things going for me but have had zero success in dating due to being short & facially unattractive.  being in great shape, extremely healthy & financially secure has been meaningless when it comes to attracting a partner.  

what women really mean when they describe the non-physical attributes which they find attractive is that they want these same characteristics in a tall, handsome male. without high physical attractiveness, even the "perfect" man is only going to be a platonic friend while the tall, attractive man with little or none of these traits will always be very highly sought after.

[/quote]

Ok, now thinking back on some other guys, I think you're right. It doesn't take a total loser, in all areas, to not be able to be in a relationship. 

I remember one brilliant, fascinating guy who was stylish, in a geek chic way. He made a lot as a techie. He had a fantastic, likeable, sweet personality - though he would be a "beta" guy. He had female friends, but never seemed to be able to be in a relationship. He had a great face, but more cute and well-balanced than manly. He did have multiple stigmas, though. He was fairly short, with a slight build. And he was non-white. 

I remember another guy who had a graduate/professional degree and made plenty. He was knowledgeable about classy and high-end stuff - he was a foodie and world-travelled. He was short, had an odd build (going to the gym all the time didn't help him look better), and was POC. He also had a nerdy and undesirable vibe. He never seemed to be in a relationship, either. 

And then there's me. I'm female, and I have an unattractive face. I'm shy, awkward, and uncomfortable around people. I'm probably one of the few women here, or the only one, who is perpetually alone. Guys generally ignore me, and I'm nothing to them. My life is incredibly painful, agonizing, and excruciating.

For the old users: These type of threads and users will keep coming. Even if the forum is kinda dead. The number of men being left out of the dating market will only get bigger in the future.

QuietDesperation said:
Ok, now thinking back on some other guys, I think you're right. It doesn't take a total loser, in all areas, to not be able to be in a relationship. 

I remember one brilliant, fascinating guy who was stylish, in a geek chic way. He made a lot as a techie. He had a fantastic, likeable, sweet personality - though he would be a "beta" guy. He had female friends, but never seemed to be able to be in a relationship. He had a great face, but more cute and well-balanced than manly. He did have multiple stigmas, though. He was fairly short, with a slight build. And he was non-white. 

I remember another guy who had a graduate/professional degree and made plenty. He was knowledgeable about classy and high-end stuff - he was a foodie and world-travelled. He was short, had an odd build (going to the gym all the time didn't help him look better), and was POC. He also had a nerdy and undesirable vibe. He never seemed to be in a relationship, either. 

And then there's me. I'm female, and I have an unattractive face. I'm shy, awkward, and uncomfortable around people. I'm probably one of the few women here, or the only one, who is perpetually alone. Guys generally ignore me, and I'm nothing to them. My life is incredibly painful, agonizing, and excruciating.

Why didn't you tried to date those two?

Xpendable said:
For the old users: These type of threads and users will keep coming. Even if the forum is kinda dead. The number of men being left out of the dating market will only get bigger in the future.

QuietDesperation said:

I actually did date both of them. I was probably the only one they've dated. For complicated reasons, the first guy and I quickly stopped dating, and were just friends for the rest of the time we interacted.  

And for the other guy - it was also very complicated. We went on awkward dates but never got further. There were things about him that were painful for me, especially the lack of shared interests/worldview/values. 

I'm very complicated. My ugliness isn't always there. I'm comfortable, decent, and desirable-enough around people who don't appeal to me. But I'm awkward/anxious around the ones that DO appeal to me - so I come off undesirable to these people, and they reject me. So I can't find anyone I'm remotely ok with. 

And I'm definitely not picky. For guys that get an average of 3/10 - I'd probably give them a 7. I appreciate a much wider range of people than the average person.

QuietDesperation said:
Xpendable said:

QuietDesperation said:

I actually did date both of them. I was probably the only one they've dated. For complicated reasons, the first guy and I quickly stopped dating, and were just friends for the rest of the time we interacted.  

And for the other guy - it was also very complicated. We went on awkward dates but never got further. There were things about him that were painful for me, especially the lack of shared interests/worldview/values. 

I'm very complicated. My ugliness isn't always there. I'm comfortable, decent, and desirable-enough around people who don't appeal to me. But I'm awkward/anxious around the ones that DO appeal to me - so I come off undesirable to these people, and they reject me. So I can't find anyone I'm remotely ok with. 

And I'm definitely not picky. For guys that get an average of 3/10 - I'd probably give them a 7. I appreciate a much wider range of people than the average person.

At least you are not completely undesirable then. I wish I got some dates even if it doesn't work out.

Xpendable said:
QuietDesperation said:
Xpendable said:

QuietDesperation said:

At least you are not completely undesirable then. I wish I got some dates even if it doesn't work out.

I keep thinking you're David Blaine because of your avatar and signature. You seem subconsciously desirable based just on that. :D

My problem is not that I’m short. I’m 6-2. My problem is that I’m goofy-looking, and in the most abject way possible. I look like I walked right out of a far side comic strip. I was born with severe pectus excavatum, which is a deformity of the chest wall (sternum) in which it caves inward. Well, my concaved chest was like a cereal bowl. I had two surgeries to fix the encaved chest.

BUT! The caved chest part was not the worst part about having pectus excavatum. Your body has to “grow around” the deformity, so you end up with a jacked-up looking body that looks goofy and botched. At least that’s what it did to me. My back and shoulders do this weird curve, my ribs flare out like two front love handles, and you get stuck with this “potbelly”, even though you’re skinny. At the bery least, you’re left with a body that doesn’t trigger a woman to look at you.

But for me, it goes beyond that because even without the body deformities, I would still look like one jacked-up looking MFer. I’ve got this massive overbite and huge front teeth. My mouth moves in this extremely weird way. Truly no one looks like me. My aberrant features are truly of their own unique nature and look. 

Hence, at 28 years old I’ve never so much as sat next to a girl. I’ve never even spoken to a girl for more than five words or so. My connection with women has been absolute ZERO. It’s something to get to look at women every day and know 100% for certain without the faintest doubt or hesitation that not a single one of them could ever desire me for any reason, and that this is absolutely and unequivocally true across all time and all space, and with all women, past, future, and present, and throughout all dimensions. It is intuitive and evident that women view me as undesirable. It just seems like this established thing that everyone including myself just intuitively knows.

It’s like if I decided I wanted to actually pursue a girl and ask her out, she and the rest of the world would laugh in shock because that’s just not the way things are supposed to be. It’s like “what are you talking about? Of course I can’t/won’t be with you.” It’s just a non-starter from the absolute outset. I might as well go stick my head in the nearest mud puddle.

"I actually did date both of them. I was probably the only one they've dated. For complicated reasons, the first guy and I quickly stopped dating, and were just friends for the rest of the time we interacted.  

And I'm definitely not picky. For guys that get an average of 3/10 - I'd probably give them a 7. I appreciate a much wider range of people than the average person."

personally, i find most women who are fit to be attractive & i think this is also the case for many men.  even below average looking women can become highly desirable if they work hard & get their bodies in great shape.  very sadly, this is most most definitely NOT the case when it comes to women being attracted to men as it is the factors completely out of our control which drives female to male attraction.

this is also the one area which we have a great amount of control over but most people are not willing to put in the time & effort.  everyone is still of course limited by their gene's but it is truly amazing what a tremendous difference that a healthy diet and regular, vigorous exercise over a long period of time can make.

Xpendable said:
QuietDesperation said:
Xpendable said:

QuietDesperation said:

agreed. i have not had a single date in over 6 years since my last LTR ended.  having zero success over a long period, unless one is delusional it is impossible to maintain any semblance of self esteem in the area of dating.  the idea of "confidence" being so critical is ironic when the only way to get confidence is through acceptance & positive affirmation.

ITellYouHhwut said:
My problem is not that I’m short. I’m 6-2. My problem is that I’m goofy-looking, and in the most abject way possible. I look like I walked right out of a far side comic strip. I was born with severe pectus excavatum, which is a deformity of the chest wall (sternum) in which it caves inward. Well, my concaved chest was like a cereal bowl. I had two surgeries to fix the encaved chest.

BUT! The caved chest part was not the worst part about having pectus excavatum. Your body has to “grow around” the deformity, so you end up with a jacked-up looking body that looks goofy and botched. At least that’s what it did to me. My back and shoulders do this weird curve, my ribs flare out like two front love handles, and you get stuck with this “potbelly”, even though you’re skinny. At the bery least, you’re left with a body that doesn’t trigger a woman to look at you.

But for me, it goes beyond that because even without the body deformities, I would still look like one jacked-up looking MFer. I’ve got this massive overbite and huge front teeth. My mouth moves in this extremely weird way. Truly no one looks like me. My aberrant features are truly of their own unique nature and look. 

Hence, at 28 years old I’ve never so much as sat next to a girl. I’ve never even spoken to a girl for more than five words or so. My connection with women has been absolute ZERO. It’s something to get to look at women every day and know 100% for certain without the faintest doubt or hesitation that not a single one of them could ever desire me for any reason, and that this is absolutely and unequivocally true across all time and all space, and with all women, past, future, and present, and throughout all dimensions. It is intuitive and evident that women view me as undesirable. It just seems like this established thing that everyone including myself just intuitively knows.

It’s like if I decided I wanted to actually pursue a girl and ask her out, she and the rest of the world would laugh in shock because that’s just not the way things are supposed to be. It’s like “what are you talking about? Of course I can’t/won’t be with you.” It’s just a non-starter from the absolute outset. I might as well go stick my head in the nearest mud puddle.

i can imagine that having a physical deformity would make things far worse. that being said, being tall & lean is very attractive to most women.  instead of working on gaining muscle, perhaps you could concentrate on getting lean & ripped? i tend to think that if i were even of average height at 5'10 my dating life would have been SO much better as opposed to being non-existent.   also, can your teeth be fixed by a dental procedure?  

for me, it is combination of negatives which add up to such a huge level of unattractiveness.  along with being short at 5'6 & below average facially, i also shave my head due to hair loss.  in other words, i am almost the complete opposite of what is considered desirable.  there really is no possible way to make up for such negative shortcomings.

mgill said:
i can imagine that having a physical deformity would make things far worse. that being said, being tall & lean is very attractive to most women.  instead of working on gaining muscle, perhaps you could concentrate on getting lean & ripped? i tend to think that if i were even of average height at 5'10 my dating life would have been SO much better as opposed to being non-existent.   also, can your teeth be fixed by a dental procedure?  

for me, it is combination of negatives which add up to such a huge level of unattractiveness.  along with being short at 5'6 & below average facially, i also shave my head due to hair loss.  in other words, i am almost the complete opposite of what is considered desirable.  there really is no possible way to make up for such negative shortcomings.

My face qualifies as a deformity or disfigurement - though it doesn't look like one. I just look like an extremely ugly person with an odd face - which can be much worse than looking overtly disfigured. Many people can understand an overt disfigurement and have empathy for that person. However, looking extremely ugly - not like a disfigurement - gives people license to bully, abuse, treat poorly, and exclude.  

When I'm anxious/awkward, I look very unattractive and old for my age. However, when I'm relaxed and my true self, I look fine, and I seem like a likeable, well-adjusted "normie." My slightly disfigured face, when I'm relaxed, just looks loveably unique. 

My problem, again, is that I'm automatically weird/uncomfortable around people I like, and comfortable/normal around people who aren't that appealing to me. So the people I like see the worst version of myself - uglier, boring, cold - that's their wrong impression of me because I'm uncontrollably anxious/uncomfortable around them. And if I truly find someone unappealing (<.01% of people I ever come across) - then I uncontrollably relax, and my true self comes out - fun, radiant, interesting, normal, desirable-enough - and so they like me. But I honestly find those people unappealing, and no matter how much I try to like and embrace them, I'm ultimately very hurt - spending time with them is extremely painful and ungratifying. 

So I can never find anyone. 

It's the same for guys - even the ones who have never dated will not date a girl they find very physically unappealing, as well as unappealing in other ways. If they do start dating a girl they find unappealing - they'll quickly stop because the girl is truly nothing to them. They cannot spend a great amount of time, much less their lives, with someone they truly dislike, aren't attracted to, and find unappealing in various ways. 

It's been said that ugly people won't date other ugly people. 

Some people aren't even ugly per se - it's other factors that make them undesirable, such as weird/nerdy/Aspie body language, strange/awkward voice, straight/boring personality, etc. - made worse if they're also POC. 

In my area, at least, where being creative/cool is seen as the greatest thing in the world - people really like the "creatives" who are in UX/UI, or are writers, designers, artists, photographers, musicians, etc. These aspirational, artsy careers instantly elevate anyone from loser to cool person. 

But the people who choose to make these creative fields their careers - rather than just a hobby - are a pretty self-selecting and unique group. It seems almost everyone in a creative field already has some type of respectable, cool vibe that makes them popular enough in any context, including dating.

QuietDesperation said:
I keep thinking you're David Blaine because of your avatar and signature. You seem subconsciously desirable based just on that. :D

In my subconcious, I feel desirable, but sadly it doesn't translate to the real world. I don't look like David Blane or any of the "7" you talk about. A 3 stays a 3, it doesn't matter how non-shallow a person wants to be, everyone wants to date-up and will go for an attractive person the first minute they can. It has got so bad that any sub 5 man is biting the dust in 2019 and w will have serious dating problems in a decade or two. My advice is to look for someone who you wouldn't date in the first place and maybe you can discover something different. If the guys you like are not reciprocating, maybe go for the ones you didn't know you could like. This doesn't necessarily mean lowering your standards but it's another angle.

QuietDesperation said:
In my area, at least, where being creative/cool is seen as the greatest thing in the world - people really like the "creatives" who are in UX/UI, or are writers, designers, artists, photographers, musicians, etc. These aspirational, artsy careers instantly elevate anyone from loser to cool person. 

But the people who choose to make these creative fields their careers - rather than just a hobby - are a pretty self-selecting and unique group. It seems almost everyone in a creative field already has some type of respectable, cool vibe that makes them popular enough in any context, including dating.

Yea I've noticed the creative hipster types are usually attractive and popular. Creative endeavors aren't some sort of refuge for the nerdy, awkard, the less attractive individuals the way STEM is (or was, considering how STEM fields are being 'gentrified'/made cool now).

ardour said:
kaetic said:
So why does it matter if she's not into you either? 

As he said,  after nothing but 100% failure each new rejection starts to have a ominous significance to it, confirming the growing suspicion that it's your fate to be alone. It's about more than this particular girl. Shouldn't be that hard to understand really (unless you don't want to understand...)

Maybe I'm a bit desensitized to this sort of ... rejection? I was actually trying to help, but I apologize if I was offensive.

However, at the risk of offending again, I feel like sometimes people on (not specifically this thread) this site... and the world in general are looking at every situation regardless of how it ends up going as just another reason to be miserable. Like they don't have enough as it is, they need to create more. Going into a situation and deciding it's going to make or break you, but with the mindset that you are innately undesirable anyway so it doesn't really matter it will go bad, doesn't really give you a chance for anything to go well.

Anyway that's my view, I won't interrupt your venting further.

Latest posts

Back