Is there any point in trying to date if you are ugly?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Get in general shape, at least doing light exercise. It doesn't have to be great shape, but some activity.
(Being a stick figure isn't exactly appealing, but neglecting your own health is generally a turn-off)
2. Become an interesting person, with things you like to do.
(The whole point of dating is having someone fun to hang out with. Even if you're attractive, if you're a buzzkill, it pretty much ruins things)

If you're not outright cruel, interesting, and take good care of yourself, a person who still doesn't like you is probably a shallow ******* and you shouldn't waste your time.

bulmabriefs144 said:
2. ...
(The whole point of dating is having someone fun to hang out with.

In my opinion, this statement is not true for everyone. That's only part of it.

bulmabriefs144 said:
If you're not outright cruel, interesting,...

Interesting to whom? Who decides if a person is interesting to them? Just because YOU (people in general) think you're interesting, doesn't mean someone else will/must.

bulmabriefs144 said:
a person who still doesn't like you is probably a shallow ******* and you shouldn't waste your time.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your (people in general) view on who is interesting, etc. doesn't always make them shallow ******** - it means they have their OWN opinions.

LonelyInAtl said:
flaneur said:
I know something you can try. When you're in a public place - coffee shop, bus/train stop, somewhere with people - blare your earphones so that the music is audible to those near you. This gives women a reason to look at you. More importantly, it makes you stand out from everyone else - makes you seem more interesting - and attracts the attention of whoever might be into similar music.

The reason a lot of people would look at you when blaring music are not doing it for positive reasons...

• What an idiot. He's gong to be hard of hearing later.
  • Who does he think he is, disturbing my personal space with his music?
  • Does he REALLY think that's cool?

That bit of advice reminds me of that one South Park episode, "The F Word", where a bunch of Harley drivers go around making loud noises in order to get noticed. The boys eventually get the English Dictionary amended to include them under the word *deleted. It's funny as hell and I feel that a guy playing loud music for the sole purpose of getting attention should be regarded as a *deleted as well.

EveWasFramed said:
bulmabriefs144 said:

I agree and would just like to add that, in my opinion, nobody should try to become more interesting. If you want to improve your general knowledge or knowledge of music, art, or literature etc, then you should do it for yourself and because you love those things. Never do it to get people to like you or to seem more interesting.

I hate people who pretend to be cultured, deep, and witty, when they are very far from it. You can just smell the falsity on them. If someone doesn't like you for who you truly are, then it will never work. :)

Speaking as someone with social anxiety, if I blasted music and someone said something hurtful, I would never go out again. So that wouldn't work.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
LonelyInAtl said:
There absolutely are people like that, but they are a miniscule percentage of the general populous based on my experience.

Telling yourself things like that is where you get into trouble.

Well, when it comes from personal experience and not some third party or PhD whacko, it has a bit more substance.

LonelyInAtl said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
LonelyInAtl said:
There absolutely are people like that, but they are a miniscule percentage of the general populous based on my experience.

Well, when it comes from personal experience and not some third party or PhD whacko, it has a bit more substance.

Not every therapist is a PhD whacko. Some actually know what they're talking about.

And would it matter more if it came from someone who actually knew you, rather than me? I'm probably not telling you anything you didn't already know.

LonelyInAtl said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
LonelyInAtl said:

I'm sorry to hear you've had such poor personal experiences. I'm not going to tell you whether or not your personal experiences are somehow wrong; that's just in poor taste. Instead all I can honestly say in all seriousness, without patronizing you, is that you'd be surprised. You can be surprised how reserved people are in their personal beliefs. Deep down, I'm sure some part of you recognizes how if anyone feels indifferent towards society's generalization of beauty, they might not advertise it openly. Just something to consider. I know that it doesn't change the situation, but there is some substance to it.

bulmabriefs144 said:
1. Get in general shape, at least doing light exercise. It doesn't have to be great shape, but some activity.
(Being a stick figure isn't exactly appealing, but neglecting your own health is generally a turn-off)
(The whole point of dating is having someone fun to hang out with. Even if you're attractive, if you're a buzzkill, it pretty much ruins things)

If you're not outright cruel, interesting, and take good care of yourself, a person who still doesn't like you is probably a shallow ******* and you shouldn't waste your time.

well said !

EveWasFramed said:
bulmabriefs144 said:
2. ...

In my opinion, this statement is not true for everyone. That's only part of it.

bulmabriefs144 said:
If you're not outright cruel, interesting,...

Interesting to whom? Who decides if a person is interesting to them? Just because YOU (people in general) think you're interesting, doesn't mean someone else will/must.

bulmabriefs144 said:
a person who still doesn't like you is probably a shallow ******* and you shouldn't waste your time.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your (people in general) view on who is interesting, etc. doesn't always make them shallow ******** - it means they have their OWN opinions.

I agree with what the other poster says.

Nobody shows any interest in me. So should I think I'm boring, awful, unattractive, bland etc ?

I know I'm not any of these things. I know how nice I am, how interesting, how caring and honest and kind. Women can't see this. It's their problem. Not mine !

The real question is: Is there any point in trying to date if you are an alien from outer space?

blackdot said:
The real question is: Is there any point in trying to date if you are an alien from outer space?

^ I've not checked into this thread for a little while, but;

*Backs out & closes the door quietly*

9006 said:
blackdot said:

^ I've not checked into this thread for a little while, but;

*Backs out & closes the door quietly*

I totally laughed out loud at that.

defenestrate said:
LonelyInAtl said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
LonelyInAtl said:

I'm sorry to hear you've had such poor personal experiences. I'm not going to tell you whether or not your personal experiences are somehow wrong; that's just in poor taste.

It's hard not feel this way when you've been told multiple times, in essence, that you are too ugly for someone to date.

blackdot said:

I would totally date an alien!

Limlim said:
blackdot said:

I would totally date an alien!

Your FACE is an alien. :p

LonelyInAtl said:
It's hard not feel this way when you've been told multiple times, in essence, that you are too ugly for someone to date.

You aren't ugly.

LonelyInAtl said:

I've been told this before too, and I never let it stop me. People can think I'm ugly, they can think I'm pretty, I don't care. I'm still going to do what I want. I have been told I'm pretty before as well, which is lovely to hear, although I don't believe in it myself. And I could care less if I'm ugly. Go look at someone else if you don't like my face.

Latest posts

Back