Is there any point in trying to date if you are ugly?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Susana said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I guess so.

I actually don't care about my looks when it comes to making friends. That's one area that doesn't matter...it doesn't matter what you look like, if you are a good person, you're my friend, and I'd hope it would be vice versa.

The issue I have is with dating and women. Not female friends. Most of my friends are female, but they either think of me as the gay brother, or the asexual friend. None of them see me as a sexual being.
Nobody is unattractive .. attractiveness comes from within yourself. Just show your true self, and your heart will attract someone who deserves you. Don't stress too much about it and just concentrate on YOU and the rest will fall into place ;-)

I suppose so.

And if I end up alone, that wouldn't be the end of the world. Not everyone is meant to date.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Nothing's wrong with them, but the amount of people who are attracted to people with glasses is limited. As opposed to contacts.

I've been told by at least 12 different girls that I suddenly become attractive, if I take off my glasses. The one time I tried contacts (and it was limited, because I have dry eye syndrome and can't see worth a **** with them in), and I went to a college bookstore, the same girl who had run my books a couple of times when I paid for them, and pretended that I didn't exist, flirted with me. The only difference I could see was that my glasses were gone, because I was the same person otherwise.

I'm sorry, that seems shallow of them. Someone "suddenly" becomes attractive without glasses... Well, they'd suddenly become smarter with my foot up some asses. I'm sorry, that mess pisses me off. I'm sure you look fine with your glasses on, and the fact that many people listen to when others say they look more attractive without glasses is bull. Two pieces of glass and a frame in front of your face doesn't really make you look any different.

If females - or anyone, for that matter - don't talk to you regardless of how you look, then they aren't worth the freakin' time.

Vanilla maybe you should take off your glasses for a week and check the difference for yourself because you are simply wrong, and he is right, on that one.

I don't get how people can rationalize stuff that is just false just to preserve their feelings on a subject. How can you live with yourself knowing that the stuff you say is just false? Sure, I'd like to entertain the idea, but I live in a fantasy enough world as it is.

perfanoff said:
Vanilla maybe you should take off your glasses for a week and check the difference for yourself because you are simply wrong, and he is right, on that one.

I don't get how people can rationalize stuff that is just false just to preserve their feelings on a subject. How can you live with yourself knowing that the stuff you say is just false? Sure, I'd like to entertain the idea, but I live in a fantasy enough world as it is.

I actually think I look better with my glasses. Not that I've worn them recently though... They were giving me major headaches. I think it's time for a new script. So before you attempt to be a smartass because you don't agree with something I've said, at least know about it.

VanillaCreme said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Nothing's wrong with them, but the amount of people who are attracted to people with glasses is limited. As opposed to contacts.

I've been told by at least 12 different girls that I suddenly become attractive, if I take off my glasses. The one time I tried contacts (and it was limited, because I have dry eye syndrome and can't see worth a **** with them in), and I went to a college bookstore, the same girl who had run my books a couple of times when I paid for them, and pretended that I didn't exist, flirted with me. The only difference I could see was that my glasses were gone, because I was the same person otherwise.

I'm sorry, that seems shallow of them. Someone "suddenly" becomes attractive without glasses... Well, they'd suddenly become smarter with my foot up some asses. I'm sorry, that mess pisses me off. I'm sure you look fine with your glasses on, and the fact that many people listen to when others say they look more attractive without glasses is bull. Two pieces of glass and a frame in front of your face doesn't really make you look any different.

If females - or anyone, for that matter - don't talk to you regardless of how you look, then they aren't worth the freakin' time.

What is offensive is when people call me "Harry Potter" with my glasses on.

I actually think I look more like John Lennon...well, John looked like Harry, but he was a musician so it was cool...

What is it with college students who base everything on the physical? I really, really don't understand young girls. I generally avoid people under the age of, say, 23, but sometimes I just can't avoid them.

If someone is telling you that you look like Harry Potter with your glasses on that would be a compliment. You know how many women go gaga over that kid? Tons.

perfanoff said:

I wear them most of the time and I've had husbands/boyfriends. :cool:

lol :p

I wouldn't argue if I didn't sense a strong difference in how young women have treated me with wearing my glasses or contacts (on average). And that says something.. I'm not the most socially sensitive guy there.

VanillaCreme said:
perfanoff said:

I actually think I look better with my glasses. Not that I've worn them recently though... They were giving me major headaches. I think it's time for a new script. So before you attempt to be a smartass because you don't agree with something I've said, at least know about it.

I get Perf's point here. When I started wearing contacts in my twenties I definitely got more attention. Right or wrong, with my glasses on its almost like I'm invisible, with the contacts people (females) definitely are more engaging.

I've got a pretty healthy female librarian fantasy that shows up in my dreams on occasion and she's wearing glasses- for awhile....:D

perfanoff said:
I wouldn't argue if I didn't sense a strong difference in how young women have treated me with wearing my glasses or contacts (on average). And that says something.. I'm not the most socially sensitive guy there.

Umm, what did you say to me before this post? Oh, yeah, that's right...

perfanoff said:
I don't get how people can rationalize stuff that is just false just to preserve their feelings on a subject. How can you live with yourself knowing that the stuff you say is just false?

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black...

By the way, that's some women... Not all. Christ me, no wonder...

I think I said it is limited, not that nobody likes guys with glasses?

I don't know why every post I make on here turns into this? It's true that glasses don't look good on a lot of guys.

EveWasFramed said:
Oh.....are you guys passing out cookware?? (goo)

Oh I wish! Saw a set of cast iron with red enamel. (goo) indeed, ma'am, (goo) indeed.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
It's true that glasses don't look good on a lot of guys.

And I beg to differ. Not only do many people look fantastic with glasses, it really shouldn't matter.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I think I said it is limited, not that nobody likes guys with glasses?

I don't know why every post I make on here turns into this? It's true that glasses don't look good on a lot of guys.

You're dealing with stereotypes and while some people agree with the stereotype being generally right, the few people that it doesn't apply to, contest it.

You think women think you are ugly with eyeglasses on? Try popping your eyes out and see what happens.

But in all seriousness, since I only wear my glasses to assist me when driving the car, I am not sure what affect it has on me. But then I can't see how wearing my glasses would make me any more undesirable. *laughs*

By my age, most people have started wearing glasses/contacts that it is not something anyone notices.

blackdot said:
But then I can't see how wearing my glasses would make me any more undesirable. *laughs*

I still can't see why you think you're not attractive to the opposite sex, BD. I've seen pics of you and I think you look perfectly fine.

Latest posts

Back