Looking for fellow gamers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jean-vic said:
Cheers. Just, with it not being numbered I thought it would just be a short add on to AC 2 and didn't want to waste my money.

Understandable a lot of people had that same perception when the game came out but i assure you, it doesn't feel like Assassins Creed II: 1.5

They really did add a lot of new gameplay mechanics and tons upon tons of stuff to do and that's not even counting the MP. It's definitely its own game and it feels that way. I'm very impressed that Ubisoft has managed to make as many changes as they did in under a year

hbkdx12 said:
Understandable a lot of people had that same perception when the game came out but i assure you, it doesn't feel like Assassins Creed II: 1.5

They really did add a lot of new gameplay mechanics and tons upon tons of stuff to do and that's not even counting the MP. It's definitely its own game and it feels that way. I'm very impressed that Ubisoft has managed to make as many changes as they did in under a year

Well, thanks for the help, mate. I'll definitely pick it up on payday. Should be cheaper now anyway. I'll have to give Revelations a look, as well, given that it's the last in the series. Well, no, the last to tell the story of Altair, Ezio and Desmond, though how they can go from aliens and centuries old conspiracies to a brand new story in AC 3 I'll never know.

Truth be told, ever since the first Assassin's Creed, i have no flippin idea what's goin on with the story anymore

It's just fun to stab people in the face haha

Game is pretty good, but like the other AC games, not challenging at the least.

My suspicion got the better of me and I got my hands on Human Revolution. I am still forming my opinion on the game. I've played it for several hours but only for 2 actual missions (game so far is very much divided into a mission - peacetime schism. It's not that the out-of-mission content is all that sprawling, it's just a small hub world with some shops and NPCs, but I found way to entertain myself there for long. Maybe it's the open ended feeling of the place (you can aug yourself to increase your mobility afterall) or maybe it's the attention to detail in the world design. The world and art design is very well realized, and the hub world seems to serve as a sort microcosmic representation of this. I also personally suck in the atmosphere there like a sponge, but that's probably just due to my penchant for anything cozy. The feeling of roaming in a sleepy, or maybe rather, dead, town while having larger matters to attend to later is really well done, and the hub area communicates at least to me a very unique feeling of "home".

In terms of the actual gameplay, at first I was underwhelmed. I dabbled in stealth at the beginning, but realized, as I had dreaded, that going the stealth route would end with the game as an inferior alternative to something like Splinter Cell. So I went a little abstract and decided to try to aug myself down a mobility path, increasing running and jumping skills as much as possible. So far this has resulted in augs for sprinting faster, jumping higher, and landing safely from all heights. Have they been useful yet? Haven't had much time to experiment. I've managed to get out of one situation of being spotted by bolting the heck out of there, jumping unto some containers and then sprinting and jumping behind a fence into safety. I am playing on Hard. Since the game employs stealth mechanics, this meant that the enemies lost sight of me. Oh, and I also managed to avoid death from one clumsy fall from a huge staircase. This did land me right in front of some guards, but they apparently had some sort of riveting conversation going between each other. I chose the mobility route generally out of desperation. I didn't want a pure stealth route for reasons mentioned earlier, and I didn't want to go guns blazing due to regenerating health. Deus Ex has, if you go the assault route, the worst health system yet. Health regenerates at a medium pace, regardless of augs. Since there is a cover system in place, the patient guy still just has to wait. Only much longer.

The game does handle non-combat choices well. So far, my way of dealing with situations and whether or not to go lethal has felt natural and not like a button I've pressed at a menu somewhere. See, I wanted to go for the social gameplay pillar, but decided not to because I thought the corresponding aug amounted to manipulation. That's how much weight I felt the game gave these questions. It goes as well for optional objectives. In games like Mass Effect, I always felt that I would be rewarded for completing optionals anyway.

It's very important to realize for the gameplay of this title that it is better than the sum of it's parts. This phrase is thrown around a lot, but I actually think it applies for once. The charm of the gameplay is NOT a feeling of freedom. In something like Fallout, it's exhilarating to go "what if" and think of how you want to RP on your next playthrough. In Deus Ex, you are more of a renaissance man. You don't go one specific route, you go all of them. Yet you still specialize to a certain extent. This balance must have been impossible to get right. See, what's so fun about this game, what lifts it above it's lackluster stealth and shooting mechanics, is that you go can switch between these paths on the go. You basically succeed by being crafty, by using all the tools instead of just one of them. You sneak up on that sniper and take him out, then you lift that container with your strength-aug to get through to the vent where you will climb downstairs, sneak past the guards, jump up to a sweet spot and take them down swiftly with your assault rifle. A good example of how this manifests is how stealth is nearly always the best starting point for handling a situation. The charm of the game is that you transition to a new style once the stealth has served it's purpose. You don't as much choose what you can do as what you can't. You have to leave a few holes in your character stats, and your challenge is to avoid these being exploited by the enemy.

In leaving, a small flaw: I've managed to see the face of a sort of significant early game swat-leader plastered on, among other things, a hobo and a civilian. A bit more faces should have been modeled ^^ I am really liking certain characters though, despite, or maybe because, personalities aren't super strong and immediately obvious. In fact, this is lack of overkill is probably the games biggest asset. Not all personalities are immediately obvious, neither are all the ways of defeating an enemy, or make use of augs. A shame the same can't be said of the plot exposition.

Edit: Wow, I managed to generate a wall of text. I'm proud of myself. I'm usually as liberal with my line shifts as Robotnik is with kidnapping animals.

It was not at all supposed to be that long xD I feel guilty for just writing it improvised when it ended up that long :p

Thanks for adding your game review to the thread, Pheenix. Just don't expect to be paid for your work! :p

I wonder though, did you play the original Deus Ex? If so, do you feel Human Revolution is a worthy successor? (Let's forget Invisible War exists.)

I'm kind of dying to play it, myself, but I think I'm going to wait until I have more time to focus on it. And since I'm doing that I may as well wait for it to go on sale as well. So I'll probably get to it around the holidays. Might break down and grab it before then, we'll see. :D

I can't remember if I replied here yet or not. I guess I'm still mainly into RPG's (although the last new one to come out that I enjoyed was last year (Atelier Rorona)). but I play a bit of just about every genre. I'm starting to get more into beat 'em up's recently since I loved Marvel vs Capcom 3 and for a while really loved Blazblue: Continuum Shift.

Do you guys know about Capcom's UK fightclub? I can't wait. Me and my friend will probably be the only girls there which makes me kinda nervous, but I really wanna gooooo. Speaking of which. Still need to practice some Street Fighter since I suck.

http://www.capcom-europe.com/blog/2011/07/45892/

And grr....gimme Street Fighter x Tekken already. :|

Yay Fighting Games ^^

I have downloaded the old Deus Ex, and played it recently, but only for the tutorial and first level, so I can't say. From what I can see, customization is deeper and more powerful in Human Revolution, but the levels aren't as open, so you mostly have freedom to move between preconfigured routes, not craft your own. I prefer Human Revolution from what little I've seen, but it ain't much.

Getting back to Human Revolution:I am getting a little tired of slow-paced sidequests in hub worlds, but it is my own decision to do them I guess. Also, there aren't that many roles worth playing. Stealth is more fun in a full-out stealth game, and regenerating health fucks over playing assault. So you're left with basically mobility (which I use, it's useless) and a hacker / social manipulator / obstacle impasser type person. Essentially only one build I can think of that is worth playing. But you can replay the game with new response to NPCs and reverse your lethal/non-lethal stance.

Bought Bastion on a whim the other day and am absolutely loving it. The narrative style is great for telling the story of the main character and fits the hack and slash style quite nicely. It has several different options for weapons and fighting styles that it suits any playstyle you want.

I'm finding I'm starting to enjoy the budget titles a lot more than the AAA games these days. Maybe I just miss the 16 bit era or something.

Limlim said:
Bought Bastion on a whim the other day and am absolutely loving it. The narrative style is great for telling the story of the main character and fits the hack and slash style quite nicely. It has several different options for weapons and fighting styles that it suits any playstyle you want.

I'm finding I'm starting to enjoy the budget titles a lot more than the AAA games these days. Maybe I just miss the 16 bit era or something.

I was tempted to buy bastion but i really hate xbox live but it seems like a cool game.

There are a lot of worthwhile downloadable titles out there both on live and PSN

All the really good AAA games come out during the holidays (which really sucks from a consumer standpoint) and if you're like me and buy them immediately, you tend to hit a drought come april/may that spans for a long time since developers/publishers don't like putting games out in spring and summer.

Reminds of when they pushed gears 3 back >_<

Bastion is awesome. I was blown away by that game. And surprise, Yahtzee liked it.

Rosalyn said:
I'm starting to get more into beat 'em up's recently since I loved Marvel vs Capcom 3 and for a while really loved Blazblue: Continuum Shift.

I'd gladly play both of those if they were available. Unfortunately fighting games aren't often released for the PC. Luckily we got SSFIV: Arcade Edition, which I've been playing. Hopefully it sold well enough to encourage Capcom to release Ultimate MvC3 and Street Fighter X Tekken on the PC as well.

Limlim said:

I'll definitely be getting Bastion at some point. It looked interesting to begin with, and I've heard nothing but good things since its release.

I played Bastion the other day, wasn't really my sort of game though because I'm not very good at action games like that :(. However I found the graphics very nice, and god I love the narrator, he should narrate my life. xD

I have been really into gaming (really addicted :p)

But now it's fading a bit (due to work & stuff)
But i still play daily and probably more then an average person.

My games:

Diablo2, Borderlands, Modern warfare 2, Starcraft 2, Age of empires 3, Warcraft series, Minecraft, ...

Still thinking about playing Wow again because recently i went to a guild meeting just for the fun, but it's taunting to start again ^^

Time for an update, I think!

Games I'm playing at the moment (all on the PC):

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
Would be great to find some training partners, though I doubt it'll happen here. If there is anyone who plays this, chances are they'll be on the 360 or PS3.

Team Fortress 2
Hadn't played this for ages, but fired it up again recently and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Will probably be playing a bit here and there.

Starcraft 2
Still play the occasional game, but it's very rarely now.

League of Legends
Same deal as TF2, pretty much.

So anyone up for playing any of that stuff (or the stuff from my original post), or just talking games (or any other topic); PM me! Got a few PM's about playing something at some point, replied to them, but they either never got back to me or vanished entirely. No worries, it's to be expected, but actually finding someone willing to follow through would be nice as well. :p

Also, just to be clear (it probably is, but just in case)... this thread is not simply for finding people to play games with because I'm bored or something. It's intent is to find people to become friends with. Doing that through gaming just seems the easiest route to me.

Latest posts

Back