what happened to this forum?!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MissBehave said:
HorseLatitudes said:
Like every site on the internet, it has his hype years and the downer years, the site is probably 6 years old so having 20 visitors per day is a lot in the social media era

Oh. 
I like your picture. 🎀

Anuuuu, cheeki breeeki iv damku!

Unix said:
MissBehave said:
HorseLatitudes said:
Like every site on the internet, it has his hype years and the downer years, the site is probably 6 years old so having 20 visitors per day is a lot in the social media era

Oh. 
I like your picture. 🎀

Anuuuu, cheeki breeeki iv damku!

Wait.. what did you say? 🤔 
Have you gone completely.....bonkers? 🥳

Well it ain’t as bad as the dealingwithdepression forum.

There’s just 5 bored housewife’s on there who all keep a diary.

So it’s like ‘I put the washing out today’, ‘I made a lasagna today’ and ‘I tidied up the kitchen’.

Puddled Duck said:

So it’s like ‘I put the washing out today’, ‘I made a lasagna today’ and ‘I tidied up the kitchen’.

I'm scratching my bottom right now.

humourless said:
Puddled Duck said:

I'm scratching my bottom right now.

Well whatever turns you on.

Puddled Duck said:

giphy.gif

Look at meeee 🥴

Look at meeeee

Depression, suicide really?

Depression. Really.

You don’t know the horror story

Suicidale because of depression you don’t know the horror story.

Not even mental health services go near me.

Puddled Duck said:

Sometimes you have to celebrate the small accomplishments, especially if it's all you can manage.

kaetic said:
Puddled Duck said:

Sometimes you have to celebrate the small accomplishments, especially if it's all you can manage.

this is just another indication of how depressing one's life is when the only thing they have going for them is to celebrate trivial. meaningless everyday occurrences.  there is no bigger way to take all the joy out of living than to realize that your past, as lonely & pathetic that it was, was the best time in your life and that it's all downhill from there.

As they keep saying in another forum that's been dying down - these days, old fashioned forums like this one aren't as popular anymore - people go to sites like Reddit, or they post on social media (Facebook, etc.), or on YouTube.

Another thing - this forum doesn't look all that pretty or user-friendly. It has a very plain look/interface/design. In today's very visual-oriented world, influenced by Instagram, YouTube, etc. - people quickly go away if a site doesn't look that pretty or interesting. Millenials and Gen Z-ers accustomed to a different look/vibe of sites are probably turned off by this site, without stopping to read all the threads/posts very carefully.

QuietDesperation said:
As they keep saying in another forum that's been dying down - these days, old fashioned forums like this one aren't as popular anymore - people go to sites like Reddit, or they post on social media (Facebook, etc.), or on YouTube.  

Another thing - this forum doesn't look all that pretty or user-friendly. It has a very plain look/interface/design. In today's very visual-oriented world, influenced by Instagram, YouTube, etc. - people quickly go away if a site doesn't look that pretty or interesting. Millenials and Gen Z-ers accustomed to a different look/vibe of sites are probably turned off by this site, without stopping to read all the threads/posts very carefully.

I think the majority of people who join here leave after making a few posts. They didn't find what they were looking for. People come tend to come here to try and alleviate the loneliness they feel, but so is everyone else. And so everyone talks to an empty wall. People do connect with others here, but it's far easier to do so on the newer social media sites which are as you say more appealing, and also infinitely more known. 

I get nostalgic about this forum every now and then, i've had great times here.

mgill said:
kaetic said:
Puddled Duck said:

this is just another indication of how depressing one's life is when the only thing they have going for them is to celebrate trivial. meaningless everyday occurrences.  there is no bigger way to take all the joy out of living than to realize that your past, as lonely & pathetic that it was, was the best time in your life and that it's all downhill from there.

Sure there is. You could decide that you have no control over anything and therefore no hope of your situation ever improving. I imagine that sucks the joy out of living pretty quickly.

Maybe the only thing they have going for them right now are trivial and meaningless everyday occurrences, to you. But if you actually had to deal with depression, you would know some days just getting out of bed in the morning is a huge accomplishment. I'm sure those ladies (if they even exist, puddled duck is not the most reliable source of information) were probably just looking for a little encouragement and support (you would think in a depression forum that would be obvious) not judgement because they didn't accomplish more.

QuietDesperation said:

Yeah it could use an update, but I don't think it's so bad that it would turn that many people off the forum.

Maybe update how we share photos, videos, and signatures. Those are the least user friendly things I can think of, and they aren't really that bad once you get used to it.
I think people either feel better and don't come back, 
or they had a bad experience and they don't want to come back, or maybe they end up feeling that the types of interactions they come across on here are not constructive to their situation.

kaetic said:
mgill said:
kaetic said:
Puddled Duck said:

Sure there is. You could decide that you have no control over anything and therefore no hope of your situation ever improving. I imagine that sucks the joy out of living pretty quickly.

Maybe the only thing they have going for them right now are trivial and meaningless everyday occurrences, to you. But if you actually had to deal with depression, you would know some days just getting out of bed in the morning is a huge accomplishment. I'm sure those ladies (if they even exist, puddled duck is not the most reliable source of information) were probably just looking for a little encouragement and support (you would think in a depression forum that would be obvious) not judgement because they didn't accomplish more.

i have been depressed for as long as i can remember.  i guess it could be considered to be a high functioning form of it though as i always do everything i need to and am quite active in many area's other than having a relationship.  your statement about having no control and my situation never improving is exactly where i have been for a while now and it is quite joyless. perhaps some people are OK or even happy about being single forever but i am not one of them and feel very cheated at missing out on life's greatest treasure. being lonely & alone for so long makes one understand that luck & chance are pretty much the only things in life which matter. 

regretting the past and fearing the future is not a good way to live, especially when the present is not all that great either. living in a first world country, i have never had any issues with the first 2 levels of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (Physiological & Safety) but as far as the other three levels (Love/Belonging Self-Esteem Self-Actualization) i have experienced very little if any success in these area's do to factors entirely beyond my control.

kaetic said:
Puddled Duck said:

True and your problem is it just doesn’t support a forum.

It’s a consistent problem with these forums (sort of mental health forums), you get a gaggle, no offence but are usually woman, but they really don’t offer a lot, it’s sort of domestic stuff, then you get the venters who last a day or two and just pour out their problems and then you never see again and there’s no real resolution to their problems, so the board never really grows, it just stagnates.

Mentalhealthforum.net, not a bad forum, excellent for a week or so, not that practically useful, learned a few things, but rarely go back, because the gaggle are posting the same sort of thing they’ve been posting for years and just sort of offering some kind of moral support to the rest of the gaggle. The venters, who are numerous just want to vent for a day or two, it’s pointless even replying to their posts, even practical support.

I met a woman in a similar situation to me once on the mental health forum, offered all sorts of practical advice offered all sort of practical advice, she was bed ridden like me, she ignored me and just talked about her dog and she was single and had just lost her job. Time and time it happens.

kaetic said:

Yes, but it’s depression, you think I’m not depressed?.

I’m off the charts for depression. But that’s the last of my problems. I’d be delighted with just being depressed. Overjoyed.

But that’s not the point, me sitting here and going ‘I cleaned the kitchen today’ and that thread going for 150 pages and in fact 10 threads going like that and just then just a bunch of venters, doesn’t make a forum, well it does, but perhaps like this place, the forum goes nowhere. Same on nearly every mental health forum I’ve been on, no practical solution to any problem in fact none wanted many of time and if it is none given.

Ever so often I go to the Dealingwithdepression forum, been doing it for years, five years, same old same old, same old domestic, same old I should get out the house more, same old (well new) venters who if they’re are lucky one reply to there post.

Really, depression?, I’ve upped the game from depression massively. I can absolutely assure you of that. What a psychiatrist, CBT, sertraline?. The NHS wouldn’t even be bothered with any of that honeysuckle with me.

So let’s look at someone who’s has accomplished more than me on the dealing with depression forum.

ElizabethJane1 who’s depressed, been on the forum 6 years, just retired and posted 2,248 times.

Well threads entitled Dancing around my handbag. She has membership of various choirs and cats.

The first day she’s off to garden centre with her husband for a bit of cake.

The next day it’s aqua, so she went swimming or something.

She must be exhausted, how does she drag herself out of bed.

Well then next day a bell ringing competition.

The next day out shopping and a spot of lunch.

Then Weston in Somserset and walking.

The next day we find she has a cleaning lady. Obviously being depressed she can’t cope with household chores.

The next day it’s a trip into town to have her hair done.

Then it’s charity work.

Then recitals and the cathedral.

Then a weekend away with her husband.

Then she went to Chelsea flower show.

Then back on holiday for a few days.

Wiveton for pizza for her anniversary.

God she must be depressed!, I don’t know about get out of bed, with that sort of social life, I’m amazed she goes to bed.

Then there’s Mira, well if it’s not Mira it’s snugglemum or Paula or Suzi.

What this woman is going through I will never comprehend!, last person on the face of the earth to comprehend!.

Mira’s been there 6 years and made 6,000 posts.

Well she works 5 hours a day. Then sort of spends afternoons making muffins with her Mom.

Well then she’s off on vacation.

Before that a weekend in Cambridge or something.

Then gardening followed by a bath.

Then a day with her family followed by the next day a long bike ride to tea room with her Mom.

Well then there’s a trip to Germany.

Then there’s playing snooker on the PS4.

Binging on food.

Well then she seems to end up with company doctor, who talks about her hobbies and stuff.

Well then sort of spiral into depression and eats 3 bags of cookies and 2 Ben and Jerry’s.

Then angepange01, depression rules her life, well actually it’s her husbands life, she’s fine, but seems to spend most of there life in Spain.

The Paula who likes crossstitching, spending time on the phone to her friend, spending time with the in laws, drinking wine, oh and it seems everyone she meets including the cat falls desperately ill, but she seems fine. 42,000 posts in 7 years and you think I spam the forum.

I’m depressed now, not slept a wink terrible insomnia, and I have spent my night recounting stories of holidays, weekends away, tea rooms, hubbies, snooker on the PS4, sunny Spain and I’ve bumped into what looks like the grim reaper with 42,000 posts to her name on a depression forum. Don’t worry I know the cure. Vodka it’s 4am the paper shop opens at 5am.

Entertaining it was , big charachters , good community spirit ..now just dull :(

Latest posts

Back