Improving Your Fashion To Attract the Women You Want

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is general advice for everyone, but if you say your a "shirt and jeans type person" your really selling yourself short.

Your clothes can be a great way to express who you are. Shirt and jeans is a blank canvas. Look at celebrities who dress in a way you admire, or on apps like Pinterest for ideas on how to paint your blank canvas.

I'm just going to dress as I always have. It's comfortable. If I have to be some pseudo clothing peacock, you are so not like me on day 2

It's all about the genetics so the clothing wrapper a man wears is irrelevant. Dress a short, ugly man with the most expensive clothes and he will still be unattractive. Likewise, Brad Pitt in the "worst" outfits possible is still going to have countless women drooling over him.

This is general advice for everyone, but if you say your a "shirt and jeans type person" your really selling yourself short.

Your clothes can be a great way to express who you are. Shirt and jeans is a blank canvas. Look at celebrities who dress in a way you admire, or on apps like Pinterest for ideas on how to paint your blank canvas.

I agree, and I wish I understood this before - "your clothes can be a great way to express who you are".

Before, I just wore whatever, I didn't express my interests or personality out of fear of ridicule and being kicked further into being "uncool"/unpopular/low status. I now see that I really was selling myself short, and I shouldn't have done that, I should have been myself and mouthed off to the haters if there were any. Who knows, maybe it was all in my head and no one would have cared.

I also repressed myself to try to be "cool" for "the hot girls", and that didn't work either.

All I really expressed, though I didn't mean to, was that I didn't have any money, and didn't have a style or fashion sense - I wasn't "with it" enough to put together a distinct "look", which said something about my personality. Or, that I didn't have any interests or personality to express. Like WillPower said, your outer world expresses your inner world, and at the time my inner world was either pessimistic, undecided/vague/clueless, only had a few narrow interests - it was either a mess of discouragement and indecision, or it was just blank and empty. I just did what was required of me and went home, I didn't think I needed, wanted, or could do much else to do something with my own life or engage with the world.

Doing what I did - the bare minimum/no conscious effort - didn't work. I wasn't expressing anything except that I didn't know what I was doing, and hadn't chosen enough interests and personality traits.
Trying to copy the "cool kids" wouldn't have worked either because it would have been inauthentic, it would have been me trying to be something that I'm obviously not.
I needed to have found myself, my interests especially things I actually did myself, not just things I liked made by others, before I found my style, and then I could have been more comfortable in my own skin.

Last edited:
Buying clothes, much like buying property, always scared the hell out of me.
Difference is that I need clothes.
So I've always stuck with the same things.

- Until the later 90s, suits & ties for work.
- then Haggar slacks, buttons down shirts & ties
- When I was younger, Lee Jeans and Flannel shirts for casual.
- Since my early 40s, casual is the microfiber Haggar slacks, with either pullover fleeces (winter), or tee shirts/casual SS shirts (summer).

I stick with what I am comfortable with, both physically and psychologically.
It would be much better if I were more open to fashion...but it's just not me.
I'm too set in my ways.
But younger guys should give fashion a try, if they can.

Last edited:
Buying clothes, much like buying property, always scared the hell out of me.
Difference is that I need clothes.
So I've always stuck with the same things.

- Until the later 90s, suits & ties for work.
- then Haggar slacks, buttons down shirts & ties
- When I was younger, Lee Jeans and Flannel shirts for casual.
- Since my early 40s, casual is the microfiber Haggar slacks, with either pullover fleeces (winter), or tee shirts/casual SS shirts (summer).

I stick with what I am comfortable with, both physically and psychologically.
It would be much better if I were more open to fashion...but it's just not me.
I'm too set in my ways.
But younger guys should give fashion a try, if they can.
If I can say this, part of the problem here is that you started dressing like an older man before you were an older man. Doesn't hurt to take a few cues based on what younger people are wearing.

If I can say this, part of the problem here is that you started dressing like an older man before you were an older man. Doesn't hurt to take a few cues based on what younger people are wearing.
Dressing well for ugly men is considered a cope by women though. It's like a confident short man being accused of having a napoleon complex while a confident tall, good looking man is simply being "alpha" and is considered a good leader. There is a reason why the average CEO height is 6'1 and it has nothing to do with how well they dress.

It must be so nice to be an expert on women. Knowing everything they think and their motives behind every action. I barely know what I want, but hey, I'm sure you put a lot of work into becoming a woman expert hater......

My opinions come from observing what people do as opposed to what they say. Nowhere did I ever say anything about hating women either-that is your own personal misconception. The only thing I am an expert on as far as women go is getting rejected or friendzoned by them. You certainly seem to be an expert yourself on unattractive men though since you claim to be able to assess why so many of us are unable to secure romantic relationships due to our bad attitudes and lack of effort rather than our sub par physical appearance.

Dressing well for ugly men is considered a cope by women though. It's like a confident short man being accused of having a napoleon complex while a confident tall, good looking man is simply being "alpha" and is considered a good leader. There is a reason why the average CEO height is 6'1 and it has nothing to do with how well they dress.

I disagree. I have never heard this before. I've heard people say a guy driving a big car is a cope. But never heard that with dressing well. Women love a guy who dresses well. I think you're mistaking dressing well with being overly flashy with the way you dress. There's a difference. You don't have to showboat to dress well.

If you try overly hard to showboat something, people can sniff that out as compensating or faking it.

This happens all the time when people rent expensive cars or buy fake watches and pretend it’s real and they own it.

Women and men sniff it out because it’s over the top.. and it’s a turn-off.

The lesson is simple: don’t be super flashy with your fashion and try-hard – it’s off-putting.

An example would be an overly playboy or bad boy outfit.

A quick reference to a Neil Patel article: he also experimented with buying a number of different watch brands. He found that an overly flashy and clearly flamboyant $28,000 watch was looked down upon while a simple, non-fancy $100,000 watch got noticed and got him more business contracts.

The point is: don’t be overly try hard in trying to look successful

Just don't try too hard...

View attachment 7972

Case in point. Of course, he is Justin Bieber though, so he can get away with this. Yes, good looking celebrities can do this because they have so many other things going for them.

Doing what I did - the bare minimum/no conscious effort - didn't work. I wasn't expressing anything except that I didn't know what I was doing, and hadn't chosen enough interests and personality traits.
Trying to copy the "cool kids" wouldn't have worked either because it would have been inauthentic, it would have been me trying to be something that I'm obviously not.
I needed to have found myself, my interests especially things I actually did myself, not just things I liked made by others, before I found my style, and then I could have been more comfortable in my own skin.

I agree. That's one piece of advice many fashion experts give. Wear what's comfortable for you and fits your lifestyle. The function of your clothes is one of the most important factors of your purchase decision. Buy clothes you are going to wear often. If you’re wearing something that doesn’t fit with the context of the event you’re attending, you’re screwed no matter how expensive or high quality it was.

For example, don’t wear a suit to the gym and don’t wear a t-shirt and jeans to a formal event. In cases like these, choosing an appropriate outfit for the event (the function) matters more than fit or fabric.

Also, push your comfort zone with your choices, but not too much. You still want something that comes natural to your personality. Even if you look attractive, if you don’t feel like it really represents you, that will seep through on a subconscious level and make you look less attractive.

I think the difference between a good and great fashion expert is that they understand this. Don’t force a nerdy outfit if you’re more of a jock and vice versa.

It's all about the genetics so the clothing wrapper a man wears is irrelevant. Dress a short, ugly man with the most expensive clothes and he will still be unattractive. Likewise, Brad Pitt in the "worst" outfits possible is still going to have countless women drooling over him.

Yes, Brad Pitt will still have countless women drooling over him no matter what he wears because of his looks and status. However, a short, ugly man who dresses well will still be more appealing than if he dressed like he was homeless.

For those people who are skeptical, have you tried to improve your fashion? Or are you just dismissing it without even doing it?

Latest posts

Back